• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled mofsets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can find coolers for most boards out now. Only thing to remember is that these blocks are very restrictive and will be bad for your flow rate. You would be better off to stick with some nice passive ram sinks.

I watercooled my mosfets with a P5 mosfet block. It was restrictive, but the gain of Vcore stability was worth it in my opinion. It wasn't anywhere near as restrictive as a chipset block.

My loop consisted of an Apogee, Maze4gpu, chipset block, and mosfet block all being cooled by a BIPII. My temps on a 50% overclock were around 34 idle and 48 load. Mind you this was a PD 930. I would expect better with a C2D.

Last edited:
I think heatsinks, and a small 40mm or 60mm fan would be sufficient enough. If you're going for absolute silence, then it might be worth it to you.

My case air is chilled to ~13 C by my waterloop, and one of the vents blows on my mosfets.

So technically, they are air-cooled with water-cooled air. :D

NickS said:
Yes, theres a few sites online that sell them custom. It really isn't worth it though. Heatsinks with a low CFM will work just as good.
Tell someone with a Pressler or Kentfeild on phase or high end water that :p

Very true greenmaji when i ran my 955ee under phase i took the mosfet heatsink off cleaned all goo from under it, reseated it with AS5 then had a 92mm vantec tornado blowin straight onto the heatsink temps were still in the high 50s. I am looking around at the moment to add water blocks to the mosfets north and southbridge on my Abit. Once i go over 4.4ghz with an x6800 things get a bit hot.

Yeah I completely disagree with it not being worth the effort. OCing a presler under a chiller doesn't require water cooled mosfets, but the voltage is extremely stable when doing so.

Still, 50C for a mosfet shouldn't be all that much of a strain. They are rated to stand up to around 90-95C. I can't see spending $50 on a block just to cool my motherboard's mosfets. Now if I had the skill to design my own, that might be a different story.

For one that block is aluminum, and second it only works on a small amount of boards. My point being, is that a mosfet block is something you are probably going to have to change through each motherboard upgrade. People around here sure do seem to go through boards quickly.

downer said:
For one that block is aluminum, and second it only works on a small amount of boards. My point being, is that a mosfet block is something you are probably going to have to change through each motherboard upgrade. People around here sure do seem to go through boards quickly.
1) Yes it's Aluminum. That's why it's cheaper. If you run it in a separate loop it doesn't matter about the metal composition.
2) There are other aluminum blocks on that site for other boards. That one was made for the most popular intel OCing boards at the time, the P5 series. I used it with the P5WD2-E, which was THE OCing board 7 months ago before C2D.
Not everyone around here upgrades that often. I'll also point out that that specific one works with the exact same number of boards the copper one does.
The only real downside to that block is the 3/8" barbs. I used tubing reducers since my aluminum heatercore is 1/2" tubing.

Back