• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tommithy

Registered
Hi there, new to watercooling here but I've been lurking for a while, picking up tips, etc and have decided to try my first attempt at WC.

I have an Antec P160 case that I will be using for this build. Currently it will be cooling a A64 3200+ that I will be overclocking. On air I've had it up to 2.5ghz but temps were getting too warm for me so that's where I stopped. I think she has a lot more in her. Video card is currently an X850pro with all pipes unlocked.

I plan on upgrading to an Opty 170 and a if a trade goes through a DFI mb and then purchase an X1900XT or X1950XT so this build needs to support cooling those items. I doubt I will ever go SLI or Crossfire as I don't game that much.

My original goal was to keep everything inside the case however with the heatload I will be creating with the overclocking and space constraints I have come to the thought that I will need to put some part of this stuff outside the case. With that thinking in mind I've decided to use a Swiftech MCR320 radiator mounted in the top of the case and have a custom made shroud and 3 fans (either yate loon or panaflows) mounted outside the top to pull air through the radiator.

Now before everyone tells me that Thermochills are a better radiator, yes I know they are however they are too thick to fit in the top of my case and mounting a radiator outside the case is out of the question for me. And yes, even a PA120.2 is too thick to mount up in the top. The powersupply inhibits the mounting of it.

That said, here is my list of parts so far...

Swiftech MCR320 with either yate loons or panaflows for cooling
Liang DDC+ with Petras top
Swiftech MicroRes
Masterclear 7/16 tubing

I have no idea what blocks I will be using. I'm looking for suggestions for both CPU block and GPU block. I would prefer that the GPU block could be used on both my X850 and the X1900/X1950 I will eventually buy.

Loop routing is planned to be Pump>Rad>CPU>GPU>RES

Is that good?

Attached is a rough draft of component placement.

Thanks!!

p160.jpg

Tommithy said:
Hi there, new to watercooling here but I've been lurking for a while, picking up tips, etc and have decided to try my first attempt at WC.

I have an Antec P160 case that I will be using for this build. Currently it will be cooling a A64 3200+ that I will be overclocking. On air I've had it up to 2.5ghz but temps were getting too warm for me so that's where I stopped. I think she has a lot more in her. Video card is currently an X850pro with all pipes unlocked.

I plan on upgrading to an Opty 170 and a if a trade goes through a DFI mb and then purchase an X1900XT or X1950XT so this build needs to support cooling those items. I doubt I will ever go SLI or Crossfire as I don't game that much.

My original goal was to keep everything inside the case however with the heatload I will be creating with the overclocking and space constraints I have come to the thought that I will need to put some part of this stuff outside the case. With that thinking in mind I've decided to use a Swiftech MCR320 radiator mounted in the top of the case and have a custom made shroud and 3 fans (either yate loon or panaflows) mounted outside the top to pull air through the radiator.

Now before everyone tells me that Thermochills are a better radiator, yes I know they are however they are too thick to fit in the top of my case and mounting a radiator outside the case is out of the question for me. And yes, even a PA120.2 is too thick to mount up in the top. The powersupply inhibits the mounting of it.

That said, here is my list of parts so far...

Swiftech MCR320 with either yate loons or panaflows for cooling
Liang DDC+ with Petras top
Swiftech MicroRes
Masterclear 7/16 tubing

I have no idea what blocks I will be using. I'm looking for suggestions for both CPU block and GPU block. I would prefer that the GPU block could be used on both my X850 and the X1900/X1950 I will eventually buy.

Loop routing is planned to be Pump>Rad>CPU>GPU>RES

Is that good?

Attached is a rough draft of component placement.

Thanks!!

p160.jpg

Run your loop like this
1.Pump out to in in the cpu
2. cpu out to the vga in
3. vga out to the rad in
4.Rad out to the res in
5. res out to the pump in.

thats how i have my loop setup. here have a look. You can't see it but the rad is mount in the front of the case the two lines coming from the front are from the rad. And the one going to the top of the res is from the fill port.

Pump>Rad>CPU>GPU>RES

Lots of people do it that way. They want the Rad to cool the water right before entering the CPU. Plus the Rad has the greatest slow down on water flow IIRC.

How much of a difference does it make? Most people say none to 1-2 degrees C at most.

Test it and might be the best way.

there is about a .5c or less difference in water temps across a normal loop, so using the shortest runs and easiest routing is the best way to go regardless of order. With that component placement, I would go pump>vga>cpu>rad>res>pump. This way you have a simple bottom to top flow with the shortest runs, and your water is flowing generally in a circular top to bottom to top path.

Good info on temp differences with different routing.

One question I do have is about bleeding air out.. If I installed everything as is will it bleed properly? I've read that the resevoir needs to be the highest item for correct bleeding but I've also read on Swiftech's site that their radiator is self purging. Does that mean I could get away with having the res below the radiator?

It will bleed quicker if the res is at the highest point, but it will still bleed just fine in the position that you have it. A lot of people top mount rads (me included).

Great info peeps!

Anybody care to chime in on recommended GPU and CPU blocks? CPU will be socket 939, it's an Athlon 64 3200+ now but will probably be upgraded to an opti 170 and GPU is currently and X850 but will be upgraded to an X1900 or X1950 eventually.

CPU = Apogee or MP-05 (Storm if you plan on poping the top of your K8)
GPU = MCW60 or MAZE 4, MAZE 4 mounts easier.

Well I've ordered the parts. Hopefully the build can start this weekend!

DDC+ with Petras top
Swiftech MCR320
Swiftech micro res
Swiftech MCW60 vga block
D-Tek Fuzion cpu block
7/16 Masterkleer tubing
Yate Loons for the rad

Back