• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't bios/continue/boot options/anything :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XTTX

Just finished building my computer for the second time (with a new heatsink) in the past 24 hours. Well, when I turn on the computer, it won't fully boot. It'll go through all the POST then display:
a floppy disk error (I have none)
CMOS checksum error - this mobo loads defaults
Basically, I can't really do anything from this point. When I try to enter bios, f1 to continue, etc. it will just restart the computer for some reason. Also I don't have an OS installed yet. So far I have tried checking each ram stick individually and clearing the CMOS three times.

Did you use memtest (test 5) to test the ram?

And you did try booting it with just one stick of ram right?

Do you have a spair GFX (even a known working PCI one would be fine for testing)

OK, well here's the main problem. Since I can't boot, I can't test the RAM, and I don't have a computer equipped w/ a DDR2 motherboard. Also, by test, I meant tried 1 stick at a time in different slots. Also, I only have AGP gfx cards :bang head

cheap PCI GFX for testing would help (maybe someone you know has one?) otherwise they can be had for like 20 bucks..

It also sounds like your bios could use reflashed (or a new bios chip)
Couple of options here, we have a guy doing that as a service in the classifieds, you could try to hot flash it with your old mobo (risky) or you can contact evga for a replacment bios chip.

OK, found the problem. EVGA's tech support is pretty helpful (the second guy at least). Basically after a 3 minute conversation, we found out that it was a grounding problem. I reseated the motherboard (which was basically the third time I've put everything in) and now it works. Windows is installing as we talk :).

ahhhh.. my bad.. I forgot to ask you to try it on the box with the anti-static bag.

good deal.. and good times :beer:

Yeah, thanks for the help man. The machine is running great right now :).

Back