• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B-E booting problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadco

I'm having a problem getting my p5b-e to power up.

p5b-e
ATI 1950xtx
e6400 core 2 duo
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2, 2GB voltage 1.9 to 2.1

My PC Power and cooling 510 ATX will start the board up but it dies after about 30 secs and I have to power it down and back up to get it to restart only to have the same thing happen again.

That psu is 34 A on the 12v rail.

I suspected a under sized psu so I went out and got 2 others that won't power the board up at all.

When the pcp 510 is attached and powered on the led near the switch block is on solid.

With either a BFG 650 watt unit or an Antec truepower 650 the led flashes instead and the system won't power on at all.

I ended up with a Thermaltake 750 and it boots the stinkin Asus up just fine but the mobo won't stay powered up for more than about a minute and a half.

CPU heatsink is fine and well installed indicating 36 c in bios when it shuts off.

Southbridge gets really hot so I popped a 40mm fan on it but it didn't help.

I was able to adjust the vdimm up to 2.1 for the ram but that didn't help any.

I've also tried with a ATI R300 cheapy PCI-E video card but it doesn'e make a difference

Check the seating of your VGA as well.

Also, if you have been overclocking it, you might need to reset the BIOS via the jumper method.

a PC Power & Cooling is NOT an undersized PSU

I would check the memory again and do what indignity suggested by reseting the BIOS via the jumper.

thegreek said:
a PC Power & Cooling is NOT an undersized PSU

I would check the memory again and do what indignity suggested by reseting the BIOS via the jumper.

I agree that the PC Power Psu isn't undersized I own 4 of them but...

A dead PCP PSU is underpowered and that particular one is now dead.

Clearing CMOS, checking for shorts, all the basic system building stuff has been done. Board is going back for exchange as soon as I can get in my car which will be in about 10 minutes.

thegreek said:
sorry to hear that, I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems getting a brand new one from PCP&C

I hope not they have been good in the past,

Update ASUS board was bad confirmed by testing in the store whre I bought it.

I now have a Known good working board in the hands

Back