• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Didn't Like Old Setup So I Made This! Lotsa Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UmHelp

Over the summer I made a new core 2 duo computer and I tried to make a cool watercooling setup but I didn't really like it so I decided to redo it. Over the summer I am going to make my own case so this current setup is just a stop gap. I figured I would go with an easy/simple setup until I get enough money to build my own case.

Here are all the parts I am using:
Samsung 244t 24" Widescreen Monitor
Intel Core 2 Duo 6700
Asus P5W-DH
Mushkin Redline 2gb DDR2 1000
Nvidia 7600GT
3x Seagate 7200.10 750gb HDD (Software RAID 5 using XFS)
Western Digital Raptor 150gb HDD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum /w Front Drive Bay
2x Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port NIC
Lian Li PC-G70B
OCZ GameXStream 700 watt PSU

APC Smart UPS SUA1500
Watercooling:
Swiftech Storm REV2 /w EK Fittings no longer on swiftechs homesite :/
DD Maze 4 GPU Block /w 9/16-18 Fittings :(
2x DD Aqua Drive HDD Blocks /w G1/4 Fittings half redone with EK fittings
Thermochill PA120.3 /w EK Fittings and G3/8 to G1/4 Converters
DD Brass Fillport
2x Thermochill Shrouds one didnt fit :(
Thermochill Rad Grill
8x EK Fittings wish I had 10 so I could finish off the rest of my HDD blocks but I didn't know they would be G1/4 :/

Iwaki MD-20RZ bought from customaquatics.com good site for pump stuff

T-Line:
I had a plastic one but the pump is really powerful and it was starved so I figured I would build something simple that could store a little water before the pumps intake. Made from a 3/4" Brass T-Line and 3x 3/4" threads to 5/8ID tube fittings.

Fans:
PANAFLO FBA12G24M1A 120MMx38MM The thick ones!!!

MCMaster Parts:
2x 4860K657 BRASS THREADED PIPE FITTING, NICKL-PLTD,3/8"BSPP MALE X1/4"BSPP FEM,HEX BUSHING
2x 7329K13 WIDE-BAND SELF-TIGHTENING SPRING HOSE CLAMP, FOR 3/4" HOSE OD
10x 5233K684 MASTERKLEER PVC TUBING, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" WALL THICKNESS, 10' LENGTH SAME AS 5233K68
5x 5233K697 MASTERKLEER PVC TUBING, 5/8" ID, 7/8" OD, 1/8" WALL THICKNESS, 5' LENGTH SAME AS 5233K69
2x 96006A256 BLACK OXIDE 18-8 SS SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW, 6-32 THREAD, 1/2" LENGTH
2x 91290A117 METRIC CLASS 12.9 ALLOY SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW, M3 THREAD, 12 MM LENGTH, 0.50 MM PITCH
2x 93475A210 METRIC DIN 125 18-8 SS FLAT WASHER, M3 SCREW, 3.2MM ID, 7MM OD, .45-.55MM THICKNESS
2x 8894T3 WELDED NICKEL-PLATED STEEL ROUND RING, FOR 3/4" WEBBING WIDTH
2x 53055K143 PVDF (KYNAR) SINGLE-BARBED TUBE FITTING, REDUCING COUPLING FOR 5/8" X 1/2" TUBE ID

I think thats all, might be forgetting a few??

Now for some pictures of my old setup:
IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

EWW!
61d4604f-1.jpg

I don't know what this is of?? :confused:
IMG_1872.jpg

Now for the tear down:
Had to mod the shroud a bit so it wouldn't hit the pump.
IMG_1933.jpg

The T-Line:
IMG_1934.jpg

Last edited:
draining parts:
IMG_1967.jpg

Cleaning blocks:
IMG_2013.jpg

More cleaning:
IMG_2020.jpg

Empty Case:
IMG_2094.jpg

Putting blocks back together:
IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

G3/8 to G1/4 Fitttings:
7404117b-2.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

That's a damn nice setup you had there already. How was the vibration from that iwaki? Damn, 4 hard drive waterblocks. How much did your whole water cooling setup cost you?

quite a bend from the cpu block to the rad there, those little rings work wonders.

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

Filling/Bleeding:
IMG_2233.jpg

There it is my weekend project complete!!!

If you notice my original case has a 2x120mm fan grill in it, so I had to work from that hole so it was kinda tuff getting everything squeezed in there. I doubt you will notice with these low quality pictures but there are a few cut marks and holes that were left on the top of the case because the thermochill grill isn't as big as the one that use to be there :(.

Also someone messed up my camera settings so most of the pictures are really crappy!! The flash on my cannon EOS 30d is really sucky so some of the lighting is bad. I dont have 300 bucks to get a decent flash for it yet.

If you don't recognize it the case is a Lian Li PC-G70B

Last edited:
Jeez you guys post fast!! :santa2:

That's a damn nice setup you had there already. How was the vibration from that iwaki? Damn, 4 hard drive waterblocks. How much did your whole water cooling setup cost you?

I got some of this http://petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html to stop the vibrations of the pump and it works GREAT!!! I can only hear a slight hum about the same amount of noise my old Danger Den DD12V-D4 Pump

It costed enough ;). I will try to calculate it in a bit.

Yea I did post pretty fast. Sorry for disrupting your post flow there. That's an impressive rig, and you were able to fit 50 pounds of stuff in a 10 pound bag.

What's with the extra barb on the inlet of the storm, just to stop the tubing from kinking? I might have to check that vibration damping material out some time, as my Eheim 1250 sits right on my desk.

This is how much I paid /me searching through old invoices:

Case: $179 + $45 for extra side panel
Smooth-Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp $11.39
WIDE-BAND SELF-TIGHTENING SPRING HOSE CLAMP $9.72
Cosworth Coolant $20.48 Haven't added this yet, not sure if I want to I love the clear!!! I really do need to add some stuff I am trying to find a way to keep the water clear.
Iwaki MD-20RZ Japanese high pressure rated pump. Price = 179.99 (I just had to get the Japanese model... :( slightly better performance i guess?? it certainly costs more)
Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff" PTGS3X3 1 3.99

1 x Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal Water-block - Rev 2 $79.95
1 x ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple 120mm Radiator for Lower CFM Fans
- Fitting Size: 1/2" OD $119.95

I got the maze 4 from Microcenter they sell DD stuff inside their store it was like 43 dollars or something.

Tubing and stuff was like $20 bucks but i still have some extra.

The two HDD blocks were 100 dollars apiece but DD had some sale and I saved like 35% and got them pretty cheap. Mainly the only reason I got them.

Total: 822.48 - 224 for case = $598.48

I guess that is a somewhat accurate number, seems kinda high though. I had the money at the time and I wanted to go all out. Plus it is fun to send all your money!!!

What's with the extra barb on the inlet of the storm, just to stop the tubing from kinking?

That would be a 1/2ID to 5/8ID Converter since the Iwaki pump uses 5/8ID tubing.

EEEWWW After looking at these pictures I am very very sorry!! They are total crap! Like I said before I think my brother used the camera to take some macro pictures and didn't change the settings back because the EOS30D does not take pictures that look like these :(

Getting all the air out of this system is a major PAIN!!! I have been bleeding it for a while and shaking it around and it still has air in it!! ARRGGG!! I really don't recommend mounting the radiator at the top of the case like this, it is a super pain.

Last edited:
The pics look fine to me. So you have 5/8" tubing coming up out of the Iwaki's outlet, that must pack a punch. At first I thought you had 4 of those danger den hard drive blocks, I was kinda shocked as they are $100 a piece. Mounting the rad on the top definitely gave you some working room in that case, even if it harder to bleed. You have some nice equipment there, enjoy it.

how good is that petra gel-like mat? im just trying to remember of something that i saw similar to that. will the gel-mat evaporate and just become hard? i think it might... it's just like putting rubberbands to suspend your hdd.

Rickster said:
how good is that petra gel-like mat? im just trying to remember of something that i saw similar to that. will the gel-mat evaporate and just become hard? i think it might... it's just like putting rubberbands to suspend your hdd.

i'm useing those gel mats and they work really good . very pleased with the performance just wish they were bigger 4"x4"

@ Umhelp thats a nice rig, i really like the set up your running now, looks cleaner and where did you get those rings i need some for the tube between the gpus on my rig

The metal rings are from mcmasters

8894T3 WELDED NICKEL-PLATED STEEL ROUND RING, FOR 3/4" WEBBING WIDTH

UmHelp said:
The metal rings are from mcmasters

8894T3 WELDED NICKEL-PLATED STEEL ROUND RING, FOR 3/4" WEBBING WIDTH
thanks those are a lot better than cool sleeves never have to replace them like the cool sleeves

Well I was hoping to find some clear additives but I was unsucessful so I added 1oz of cosworth coolant to make my water nice and blue. O well blue still looks pretty cool.

its a flow switch. I haven't hooked it up to anything but once I get around to it, it should shutdown my computer if the flow stops for a set period of time. I have it for a safety net, you can never be to cautious. It also serves as a visual indicator of flow.

I wanted the brass model but I couldn't find one it looks a bit better than the white plastic one.

Back