• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

D5 Pump sounds like washing machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I got a D5 pump from danger den (got it october last year)

Now sounds like a washing machine! vibrates like hell too.

Do you think its still under warrainty?

LOL

Adragontattoo said:
See this is why they state to not put your delicates in the T line.
LMAO!!

I bought a DangerDen MagII LE last year and had to rma it twice to get one that was quiet. They(dangerden) kept telling me it had air in it and that wasn't the case. They have a quality problem with their pumps that has been noted on a number of user forums. Some make awfull noise from the beginning and others start making noise after being in the loop for months. I think the warranty on it is a year, but frankly their tech support people will fight you tooth and nail. And they will make it clear that if you return it and they dont find problem, you are on your own. I would buy a different pump unless the retailer will RMA it for you.

Tip your case around and see if it still makes noise. If the noise quiets down, that's a pretty good indicator that there's air in it.

jph1589 said:
LMAO!!

I bought a DangerDen MagII LE last year and had to rma it twice to get one that was quiet. They(dangerden) kept telling me it had air in it and that wasn't the case. They have a quality problem with their pumps that has been noted on a number of user forums. Some make awfull noise from the beginning and others start making noise after being in the loop for months. I think the warranty on it is a year, but frankly their tech support people will fight you tooth and nail. And they will make it clear that if you return it and they dont find problem, you are on your own. I would buy a different pump unless the retailer will RMA it for you.

Danger Den does not make the D5, it's straight from Laing; and I'll let you know right now, Laing is a GREAT company. Their pumps are just about perfect.

INFO

SolidxSnake said:
Danger Den does not make the D5, it's straight from Laing; and I'll let you know right now, Laing is a GREAT company. Their pumps are just about perfect.
I didn't mean that the manufacture the pumps. But they do have a quality problem in the last year. There are people talking about it in numerous places as i said.

But since Laing is such a good company, he shouldn't have any trouble getting SOMEONE to stand behind it. I'm pretty sure it just didnt develop air in the pump after running for a couple of months.

I doubt there is air in the pump, the res is above the pump, and feeds it PLENTY of water! The air that was in the loop has been bleed of all bubbles it has been running for a while now. And my res has "tons" of water 4L of water aint goin to evaporate in a couple of months. And I only use double distilled water nothing else.

The other pump I have is a swiftec one has been running for over a year now and is still going strong.

If the older swiftec pump can last and operate in this setup how come the D5 died? When the pump vibrates like a washing machine I mean (The whole case a MM U2UFO actually moves about) and it really sounds like a washing machine on spin cycle.

Last edited:
jph1589 said:
I didn't mean that the manufacture the pumps. But they do have a quality problem in the last year. There are people talking about it in numerous places as i said.

But since Laing is such a good company, he shouldn't have any trouble getting SOMEONE to stand behind it. I'm pretty sure it just didnt develop air in the pump after running for a couple of months.

He could have a small slow leak or something of the sorts.

Danger Den couldn't contribute to a quality problem with a D5 or DDC though, could they? All they do is distribute them, not manufacture them. The pumps are QC Checked when at the Laing factory.

edit: Mycobacteria: Looks like your res is going to the outlet of the D5s, not the inlet. What's your loop setup?

">" indicates water direction:

D5 Pump>res>storm>rad---- back to pump.

Swiftec pump>res>GPU (SLI)>rad----back to pump.

I know the orientation is not the "normal way" but the other swiftec pump does the same thing and has not played up.

I doubt there is a leak, after a couple of months there would have been a puddle of water in my MM U2UFO.

Anyway I have e mailed Danger Den (no reply as yet)...

I hear the swiftec pumps are Lang pumps but with a differnt sticker is that true?

What are your experiences with this pump?

What is Danger den like when it comes to RMAs?

Last edited:
Mycobacteria said:
">" indicates water direction:

D5 Pump>res>storm>rad---- back to pump.

Swiftec pump>res>GPU (SLI)>rad----back to pump.

I know the orientation is not the "normal way" but the other swiftec pump does the same thing and has not played up.

I doubt there is a leak, after a couple of months there would have been a puddle of water in my MM U2UFO.

Anyway I have e mailed Danger Den (no reply as yet)...

I hear the swiftec pumps are Lang pumps but with a differnt sticker is that true?

What are your experiences with this pump?

What is Danger den like when it comes to RMAs?

Yes, the Swiftech MCP655 is the D5 (MCP650 is the D4, MCP350 is the DDC/DDC 10w, the MCP355 is the DDC+/DDC-2/DDC-Ultra/DDC 18w). All of the Laing pumps are quality. I've never heard of any problems with them unless they were modded, and even then, if correctly done, work just fine (For instance, my DDC+ has been 1/2" barb modded). They're rated for 50,000 MTBF, which is supposedly 5 years.

I'd tear down the loop and inspect the pump. Believe it or not, you could have a leak. Fluid might not be getting out but air might be getting in.

INFO

I can't figure out for the life of me why people are so insistent on protecting DangerDen and other companies when it comes to these pumps (any pumps). That is the same attitude you get when they deliver you a new one that rattles like hell too. They treat you like you are some kind of moron who must have done something wrong to cause the noise.

If the loop has a leak in it and air is getting in, THEN SOMETHING WOULD BE LEAKING OUT>!!!!! That is just the way things work. I'm sorry to tell you.!! Geez, give the guy a break, his pump went bad!!

jph1589 said:
I can't figure out for the life of me why people are so insistent on protecting DangerDen and other companies when it comes to these pumps (any pumps). That is the same attitude you get when they deliver you a new one that rattles like hell too. They treat you like you are some kind of moron who must have done something wrong to cause the noise.

If the loop has a leak in it and air is getting in, THEN SOMETHING WOULD BE LEAKING OUT>!!!!! That is just the way things work. I'm sorry to tell you.!! Geez, give the guy a break, his pump went bad!!

Just FYI, I was testing my 1/2" mod on my DDC, and the bubbles never went away. The thing was screaming with all the bubbles it was churning. Turned out there was a leak (I didn't block the original inlet). But, there was no fluid coming out.

I get you've had a bad experience with the DD pump (just like everyone else, the Mag/MagII pumps suck). But you can't automatically say the pump is broken because of your experience with them. And on top of that, two completely different companies manufacture the MagII and the D5, and one isn't that bad.

More and more though, I'm thinking it's not a leak, seeing as how there would be bubbles in the loop if it was, and the OP said there aren't any bubbles in the loop. Could be some algae or something. I'm still doubting the pump itself failed.

At least drain the loop and check the pump out.

If you move the case around to dislodge any air bubbles, and the system is fully bled, an RMA is in order. Swiftech is a distributor, as is DD. Laing is the manufacturer.

Remove the questionable pump, unscrew the collar and drop the front off, and inspect the impeller sphere for blockage on one of the ports, damage or dents etc. If it's vibrating, it's off balance... if it's off balance then there should be some visible sign of the problem within.

So the pump in question is pumping from the line into the res? That is why you get air it is not a suction type pump. The line from the res needs to go to the inlet of the pump so it is gravity fed.

Back