• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to leak test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

I know this is such a dumb question but this is my first loop and its coming along great! But I want to leak test before putting the loop into function in my case. So do you guys leak test it in your case? But if you leak test it in your case it's going to be difficult to realise small droplets that are leaking. The only best way that I can think of is have my loop connected onto the case while the block connected to the mobo inside the case and run the loop on a PSU not connected to the mobo.

I will post pics of my first ever loop to let you guys have a looksy. And I hope my routing of my tubes are routed the best possible way it can be in my case.

i run it in the case with a seperate psu shorted between the green and black wire . i also put down paper towels under each one of my blocks to catch any drips and check very very frequently

iusually go through about a half roll of paper towels

i leak test inside the case, with everything 'as is' i don't see the point in leak testing outside then moving the loop into the case... thats just silly !

as sparkey said, just use paper towels under allt he blocks etc.

although i havn't had any leaks my self, i have experimented with trying to cause leaks on my radiator, and it seems that it was quite hard to get a 'small leak' it was either sealed, or a steady, large drip.

if possible run it for a few hours, then power up, head straight into the bios, and monitor the temperatures for a few minutes. just to check if you have a nice seating on the waterblocks.
Rick

I also leak test in the case. I only use cases with slide out motherboard trays which makes this easy and safe. I plumb it with everything in it so I can get the proper tubing length and make sure all my bends will work. Then I remove the motherboard, video card, drives, etc and fill the loop. I hang my blocks with something like zip ties or string to keep the tubing from kinking and keep them in their normal spot. I then use an extra psu shorted like said above and run it for at least eight hours. During this time I turn the case in all different directions: upside down, on its side, everything to get the air out of the little corners. Remember that air bubble could be covering a potential leak spot. I usually don't put the guts back in unless I can shake and turn the loop around and get no air movement.

Poost I think you should just cut up some of those tubes and make a small loop outside of your case run it with a "hot wired" PSU for a few hours and see if any of your water block, rad or pump is leaking. So at leat you know your components are not leaking.

I do both an external test and an internal test. The external test is for manufacturing issues, leaking O-rings on the components, cracks, etc. It's also good because it rinses the system and gets all the little particles out from manufacturing. I only take an hour or so doing the external. After that, I do a complete install and leak test in place for ~6 hours. I watch it very closely for the first 15 minutes then every 1/2 hour for a couple, then once an hour or so. Some people leak test for a full 24 hours and if it's your first loop I suggest that ...

I leaktest with everything in the case with the pump powered by another shorted PSU overnight. I fail to see the point of externally leaktesting with nothing torqued or tubing curved as in when it is setup.

On the current setup I now have I started to do something different. I used a vaccuum gauge and my air compressor to pump the system up with air to 10psi overnight before I added any fluid (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478351). This is something that I will do on new setups from now on. It is just a way to avoid the mess associated with any problems during leaktesting. If it holds 10psi overnight, it isn't leaking. If it was to leak, all I have to do is pump it up and listen as I could probably hear where it is coming from. This is worth the extra step to me.

Back