• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this setup work? I've never seen a Radiator mounted like this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuya

Registered
I'm starting my first WC setup, but I wanted to mount the radiator on top of the case (nothing new), but on the outside of the case.

Components:
-Antec P180 Case
-MCP 355 Pump w/Petra's Top
-Apogee CPU block
-Black Ice 120.3 Radiator
-1/2" ID Masterkleer tubing
-GPU block, still haven't decided on a card =/

Here's basically my proposed setup:
p180wc3qq.jpg

My main concern is that with the radiator mounted so high, that the T-Line won't be able to effectively eliminate all the air bubbles, is it possible that air could collect in the radiator? Thanks for any help, <3 these forums.

If anyone sees any problems/complications that I may be missing please do point it out. XD

-Kuya

Edit: Oh, forgot the mention the radiator will be lifted about 1" off the top of the case with 3x120mm fans mounted on top of it. By keeping the radiator outside the case completely, I hope to keep my internal temps low.

yea, people do that all the time.

bleeding does become a problem eventualy but a thermochil has a valve that helps with bleeding the loop.

Wow that's the exact setup I have. And exactly how I have it laid out, except my tubing is routed differently. Works fine, but was a PITA to fill and bleed.

darkcow said:
yea, people do that all the time.

bleeding does become a problem eventualy but a thermochil has a valve that helps with bleeding the loop.

What do you mean by bleeding will become a problem 'eventually' as in air will slowly build up in the radiator and be diffucult to get out? XD *confused* Also, are you talking about a thermochill radiator? Got a link? From what I have read Black Ice performs much better. Thanks for the replies.

Kuya said:
What do you mean by bleeding will become a problem 'eventually' as in air will slowly build up in the radiator and be diffucult to get out? XD *confused* Also, are you talking about a thermochill radiator? Got a link? From what I have read Black Ice performs much better. Thanks for the replies.

Black Ice rads do NOT perform better than the Thermochills. At least to my knowledge. I was under the impression the PA160 was the best rad out there. You could get a PA160.3 (if they make that). It would make tube routing easier (one barb on each side of the rad, single-pass). Thermochills have the valve in there that you open when bleeding. Even still, the air will come out eventually with some shaking. With that setup, what I'd do is have it go pump->rad->cpu->gpu->pump. That would definitely be the best setup. Only thing is I don't know if Thermochill makes a PA160.3. If not, a PA120.3 will suit your setup fine, with the loop you've drawn out. Only change I would make is rad->cpu->gpu.

edit: NVM, a PA160 won't make your tube routing easier, I just remembered how long a 3x120mm rad is, about the size of the case. Go for the PA120.3. Expensive, but a great rad.

yea, black ice only performs better if your using high CFM fans that are really loud. like a vacume cleaner kinda loud.

but in all other cases, thermochill is better. especialy when your using low CFM fans.

You could always put in a second T like (lower one) and flip the PC upside down when filling it ;).

That setup would work fine. But I'd recommend routing it a little differently. Like this:

p180wc3qq7dq.jpg

Yes, it'll hit the GPU before the CPU, but that really isn't a huge difference. The temp within the loop will be relatively the same throughout.
But the tubing will look a little nicer and be shorter.

EDIT: BTW, will you be pulling the air through the case into the RAD or will the RAD just be sitting on top of the case?

jivetrky said:
That setup would work fine. But I'd recommend routing it a little differently. Like this:

p180wc3qq7dq.jpg

Yes, it'll hit the GPU before the CPU, but that really isn't a huge difference. The temp within the loop will be relatively the same throughout.

EDIT: BTW, will you be pulling the air through the case into the RAD or will the RAD just be sitting on top of the case?

I echo this suggestion. Simplest and shortest tubing routing is the best way to go regardless of order.

There is no such thing as a PA160.3. The PA160 is a slightly oversized single fan rad that performs almost as well as a dual 120 rad. The Thermochills drastically outperform everything else, but they cost a lot more too.

I would recommend the Swiftech MCR320 over the Black Ice as it is the next best thing after a Thermochill.

If it was me and I was top mounting using an MCR320 or the like that don't have a bleed valve like the Thermochills do (in the end tank opposite the barbs), I would use a Swiftech microres instead of a T-line. The T-line will eventually work, but the res would bleed a lot faster. If you do use a T-line, you can also use something like a 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/2" T so that the 3/4" is leading to a 3/4" fill line. It will help it bleed a bit faster that way than just a plain 1/2"x1/2"x1/2".

I've run a few loops with that same setup, and as others have pointed out, it takes a little case tipage to get all the air out if you use a T line.
It's not hard and doesn't take long if you start filling your loop with the computer on it's face so the rad barbs are up allowing the air to move out.

jivetrky said:

p180wc3qq7dq.jpg

I plan on using the PA120.3 steel shroud that is specially made for the PA120.3 and basically use that to life the rad off the case. Then, I'll mount 3 fans on top of the rad and cut large holes in the side of the shroud for the air intake. There will be no holes cut in the top of the case, the rad will be almost like and external rad, but just bolted to the top. So, form the case up it would be shroud (with vents), rad, 3xfans.

voigts said:
I echo this suggestion. Simplest and shortest tubing routing is the best way to go regardless of order.

There is no such thing as a PA160.3. The PA160 is a slightly oversized single fan rad that performs almost as well as a dual 120 rad. The Thermochills drastically outperform everything else, but they cost a lot more too.

I would recommend the Swiftech MCR320 over the Black Ice as it is the next best thing after a Thermochill.

If it was me and I was top mounting using an MCR320 or the like that don't have a bleed valve like the Thermochills do (in the end tank opposite the barbs), I would use a Swiftech microres instead of a T-line. The T-line will eventually work, but the res would bleed a lot faster. If you do use a T-line, you can also use something like a 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/2" T so that the 3/4" is leading to a 3/4" fill line. It will help it bleed a bit faster that way than just a plain 1/2"x1/2"x1/2".

I thought about using the swiftech microres insterad of the T-Line, but I have no where to mount it that is above the pump, which makes it hard to fill the system. T-line just seemed simpler - I can wait an extra hour for it to bleed.

Edit: Thx for all the replies guys! @RIG RIDER, nice pics ty~! =^.^=

QuietIce said:
IMO - You'd be better off reversing the loop and putting the T-line between the GPU and the pump - T-line>pump>rad>CPU>GPU ...

Is there really a noticable difference running the line directly from the rad to the cpu/gpu vs. running the line from the rad, through the pump and then to the cpu/gpu?

Well, you might get a little more pressure in your block if you have the pump right before it. But overall it's probably a minimal difference and the ease of setting up the loop probably outweighs the .3 degrees difference you'll see.

Back