• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think this will work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

OK...I made the jump or at least a purchase on ebay.

1.TDXA64 Cpu Copper water Block/ Amd64 754/939/940
2.Acetel Version Maze4Gpu Water block for ATI Video cards.
3.Double Heater Core with 2 fittings,2x 120MM Fans 1/2 inch OD fittings
4.Also comes with the Pump And tubing T joints and fillport.

$51 + ~15 shipping.

I'm thinking that even if I have to get a new pump and some tubing, I'm off to a good start?

If I need a pump, I'm going with Danner Mag 3 I think.

Comments or thoughts on how it will work with rig below? I'm going to OC it soon with this gear.

Linux_Box said:
OK...I made the jump or at least a purchase on ebay.

1.TDXA64 Cpu Copper water Block/ Amd64 754/939/940
2.Acetel Version Maze4Gpu Water block for ATI Video cards.
3.Double Heater Core with 2 fittings,2x 120MM Fans 1/2 inch OD fittings
4.Also comes with the Pump And tubing T joints and fillport.

$51 + ~15 shipping.

I'm thinking that even if I have to get a new pump and some tubing, I'm off to a good start?

If I need a pump, I'm going with Danner Mag 3 I think.

Comments or thoughts on how it will work with rig below? I'm going to OC it soon with this gear.

Do NOT skimp on the pump!!!!! Get a D5 or a DDC w/top. those two are the most common and best performers. Tubing is the only thing you need then :)

WonderingSoul said:
Do NOT skimp on the pump!!!!! Get a D5 or a DDC w/top. those two are the most common and best performers. Tubing is the only thing you need then :)

I am with Wondering on this one - I'd say any Laing product would be good. I still run my D4 with no issues...

Yeah, the pump is huge it seems (I'm a water cooling virgin at this point.:eek: ) to the overall success of the system. Once I see what exactly the entire set up has, I'll know what I need to get to complete it.

I'm going with masterkleer 7/16" tubing for my 1/2" barbs. Since it's easier to put this over metal barbs than 'plastic' barbs, I'm looking into that as well.

It appears most people heat the masterkleer then snake it on. To get it off, it seems the majority just cut it off. I'm going to lay it out, measure then buy 2x what I need + 10%!! That way I have extra.

I'm nervous to put water in my computer but I'm going to take as many precautions as I can find. The safest water cooling is to not put any in a computer but that's no fun!! :)

Since it's easier to put this over metal barbs than 'plastic' barbs, I'm looking into that as well.

It appears most people heat the masterkleer then snake it on. To get it off, it seems the majority just cut it off. I'm going to lay it out, measure then buy 2x what I need + 10%!! That way I have extra.

I prefer metal barbs over plastic because A) it is easier to get the tubing on and B) you can tighten down your tube clamps as much as you want without breaking anything. However I really don't like dangerden's metal barbs they will definately leak without clamps (in my experiences).

As for the tubing it is always nice to have extra tubing lying around for future projects. Its not like it goes bad, but I do reccomend trying to use as little tubing in your system as possible without adding kinks in your tubing or really really tight curves. They will hurt your flow.

I'm nervous to put water in my computer but I'm going to take as many precautions as I can find. The safest water cooling is to not put any in a computer but that's no fun!!

In my first watercooling setup I didn't use any tube clamps and had a really small leak that I didn't notice for a few weeks and there was a nice pool of water sitting on the back of my graphics card (of course I was using a DangerDen waterblock with metal barbs). Once I noticed it I of course I started using clamps and have never had a leak since. By the way my graphics card is still in use in TV recording computer and it works 100%. I was using a mix of Distilled water and Zerex.

Sometimes I accidently tug on a waterline while trying to change out a wire or something and even then never had any leaks. I am very confident that my lines will hold strong while I am working inside my computer and I think watercooling is 99% safe. The 1% accounts for stupid people who don't prepare properly and just jump in to it without any research or patience.

Yeah, the pump is huge it seems (I'm a water cooling virgin at this point. ) to the overall success of the system.

If you think that pump is big you haven't seen anything yet ;). The pump is basically your water systems lifeline if your pump dies then opps your computer gets really hot really fast (not instantly but in a few hours, u could probably notice that it isn't running from noise). I would set up your BIOS to turn off your computer if it gets to hot if you can. I think most newer systems have that automatically turned on.

Good luck with your system.

If you got all that for $66 you got a good deal. :beer:

If you need a cheap, powerful, and reliable pump, the Mag 3 fits the bill perfect. Excellent pump, I ran one in my first water cooled rig. The downside is it is really noisy and for that reason I have not used it since. What fans did you get? I can easily hear the Mag 3 over Sanyo Denkis at 7v.

Have you got the clamps for the tubing yet? Go to Home Depot or something and they have small metal hose clamps in packs of two for like $0.88.

A couple tips, when you're filling the loop cover the surrounding area with a towel to catch water in case you drip. Also while you are leak testing wrap paper towels around all the joints. If your coolant has color leaks will show up easy. Make sure there is plenty of water in the loop before you turn the pump on to help with bleeding. Pumps tend to not like being run dry. ;) And one more thing, once you get it all running, find your max load temp. Then go into the BIOS and set it to shut down at a temp 10-20c over your max load temp. Then if your pump does fail it will have plenty of time to shut down while it's still cool.

Back