• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC system with Lian PC75B or V2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redham

Registered
Looking for opinions for these two specific cases.

I currently own a Lian PC75B with an existing system on air. While large enough to hold everything I currently own it may get a little cramped for wc.
Which now leaves me at a cross roads. There are small little details in the PC75B that is making me with to stick with it.

Pros of PC75B:
***Pre-cut top panel for about $76 (blackice extreme 3 radiator) Minimal install required*** Major plus
3 x 120 blow holes after the panel install
3x 3.5 inch bays for small regulators and possibly resevoir
Soft Reset button
Traditional MB mount

Con:
Require complete removal all hardware for mods and wc testing
Tight spacing for with WC gear.
Need additional mounts for additional HD's

Pros of V2000
Many internal radiator mounting options for blackice extreme
Very well vented.
Massive rack HD area
Massive case
New case so I can workon it slowly without down time.

Cons:
Inverted MB mount (I read somewhere the new asus boards cannont be reverse mounted bacause of heat disapating pipes)
Some modding needed to mount w/c components.
New case so I can workon it slowly without down time
No reset switch (pretty damm important when XP crashes :p)

WC system will consist of:
DD Blackice Extreme 3
laing D5 pump
Storm Extreme
Undecided resevior or a simple T-line

One final point of I must make if the cost factor of spending another $76.00 on existing case vs spending $225 on a totally larger case. (I would end up selling the p75B which is not big deal so when you net everything out its not bad for a V2000)

Just an observation, but there is no way you're going to get a BIX 3 mounted internally in the top of a V2000 without loosing most of your PCI slots--been there, done that (do a search on MVC and V2100 and you'll find lots of pics of my first go-round with that case, oh in case you didn't know the v2100 and v2000 are all but identical internally). If you mount the radiator in the bottom you'll have to do quite a bit of modding and you're going to loose the stock hard drive racks. I have seen a mod where the racks were cut in half so there were 2 sets of 3 mounted to the middle divider and above the radiator which was mounted to the bottom.

I've also had a system in a v2000 where the radiator was mounted externally on top--and I wasn't real thrilled with that because the huge case became huger :( but it did work. Personally, were I to do it over again I'd use a PC-75. You can get a much cleaner and better organized setup without really depriving yourself of any of the features you bought the case for. Or, you could just go cube and get a PC-343.

I was looking into mounting on top of the middle plate instead of under it which would require cutting the hd racks.

redham said:
I was looking into mounting on top of the middle plate instead of under it which would require cutting the hd racks.
The radiator and fans will be blocking any type of access to the CPU and the ram--remember that the motherboard will be upside-down. Here's a good overview pic of one of my old systems in the v2100--the rad in the pic is a BIX3 that goes right up to the front of the case so it can't cover less of the motherboard. It also doesn't have a shroud on it so figure 3.5 inches minimum in "height" or thickness for what it will cover.

Is that an Iwaki pump?!?!?

From stock pictures I thought the case was big enough to leave at least 2-3 inches from the bottom of the mb to the mid plate. My original idea was to simply mount on top of the mid plate. Now, seeing your system, unless you have a expecially large mb it doesn't look like there is room at all.

This may not look clean but have you considered mounting externally in the back on top of the rear cpu can and over the fan right above the psu?

Last edited:
redham said:
Is that an Iwaki pump?!?!?

From stock pictures I thought the case was big enough to leave at least 2-3 inches from the bottom of the mb to the mid plate. My original idea was to simply mount on top of the mid plate. Now, seeing your system, unless you have a expecially large mb it doesn't look like there is room at all.

This may not look clean but have you considered mounting externally in the back on top of the rear cpu can and over the fan right above the psu?
Yeah, it's an Iwaki MD-20RZ. I sold the v2100 a while back and everything in that pic went into a v2000 case, and has since been split into different systems for different uses. I've still got the v2000 case (and the Iwaki), but it's sitting empty till I find a use for it, or I feel ambitious to build another "monster" system :D

As for the motherboard, it's an Asus P5AD2-E (standard size, shape, and configuration) that's currently being used in a GPU folding rig so unless you're planning on something esoteric, that's about the space you'll have.

So going back to my original post. it looks like I'm going to stay with the 75b then and buy the pre modded top.

Back