• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Setup Good? Y/N?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JdPower

Registered
Alright I am going to go watercooling for strictly performance, and silent. Here is the list that I think will really cool my system well...

CPU Block: I am kinda wishy washy on this one, I like the DangerDen TDX A64 water block, but I also like the Swiftech Apogee Water block. Little advice on which one to choose from.

DangerDen TDX A64 CPU Block: $52.95
or
Swiftech Apogee Universal CPU Block: $48.99
NOTE: Both blocks have 3/8 ID or 1/2 ID fitting

Pump: Think I am going with the Swiftech MCP655 12V Pump w/ 3/8 conversion kit: $89.95

Radiator: DangerDen Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120MM Rad w/ customizable Fittings (3/8 ID / 1/2 ID): $61.99

Reservior: Swiftech MCRES-Micros High Flow Res (3/8 / 1/2 ID): $14.95

VGA Cooler: Not sure which of the following would out perform for the price...
DangerDen Tyee VGA Cooler (3/8 ID): $124.99
OR
Swiftech MCW60 w/ MC14 BGA Ramsinks (3/8 ID): $63.95 (much cheaper)

Tubing: PrimoFlex 3/8" ID PVC UV Blue Tubing OR Tygon Anti-Kink 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) Tubing

Coolant: ????? Not sure which is the best...

Let me know if I forgot anything? :D TIA
J

I'm a WC noob here so....

First, get away from 3/8 tubing, etc. Go with 1/2" barbs on everything and use either 1/2 ID tubing or 7/16 Masterkleer. The 3/8 stuff is said to be restrictive.

I'd go with the DDC+ pump with a Petra's or Alphacool top. From what I've read they flow as good, if not better as the D5 (MCP655) and are quieter.

You mentioned you want performance and silence. I would opt for a Swiftech MCR220 radiator. It rates well in the efficiency department with low speed fans and is cheaper. The new Extreme II rad is probably good (not many tests out yet) but with a high FPI you may end up having to clean it often. If you have room (I.E. are mounting your rad outside your case) go with a Thermochill rad.

I like the res. I plan on using one in my build.

It seems that the MCW60 is one of the more popular vga blocks. Same thing I plan on using.

I haven't decided on which CPU block I'm going to run but I am keeping upgradeability in mind. Based upon the info on the DangerDen page the TDX will not work on a socket AM2 (it's not listed as supported). The Apogee on the other hand is good for 939 and AM2 motherboards. One other block to throw in the contention is the D-Tek Fuzion. It's new but seems to be getting good words from people that are buying them.

As for coolant, lots of peeps seem to say just use distilled water with an anti algae additive. I haven't researched this much so I can't offer much more then that.

OK, for the RAD Skip the Black Ice Extreme. The Extreme series is made for high flow fans. That means NOT quiet like you are looking for. Any one of the three that meionm mentioned would be fine. I've used a Black Ice Pro II with very quiet fans and it worked great. So that's what I'd recommend.

For the VGA cooler, I would skip that Tyee, it's overpriced. if you really want a full cover cooler like that, you can get a MUCH better one for about $80. http://www.EKWaterblocks.com/

Otherwise that Swiftech MCW60 would be just fine (And could probably be used on a future upgraded card, unlike a full cover block.

For fans, You have to decide just how quiet you want them. You kind of trade silence for performance...so it depends on how much of each you want.

You can always get high flow (CFM) fans and use a fan controller to lower them as you wish.

OH yeah, is there a reason for choosing 3/8" tubing over 1/2" ? The 3/8" will probably be fine, but you might get a little better performance out of 1/2" (slightly) But the main reason for the 3/8" tubing would be easier routing if you have a small case or something of that nature.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would rather gain a little more on the performance side then silence. The only thing I really am looking at being silent is the VGA card. The cooler on the X1950XTX is pretty loud @ 100%, but when gaming I don't hear it. So I guess performance out weighs silence.

The reason why I am leaning towards 3/8 is because of the case. I have the Antec Nine Hundred ATX mid tower case, its not really small but not huge and I don't want huge`ole tubing going through it. You think from 3/8 compared to 1/2 is really a performance loss?

Also I am thinking that I might have to mount the Rad externally on my actual computer desk. Which might be a bit of a problem until I found this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835127026
In addition to what I like that came with that rad is this
Capture031.jpg

Now that rads fittings are 3/8 but if it comes down to performance loss vs 1/2 fitting I could get another fitting to make it 1/2 instead of 3/8 (if that made sense.) ?

Let me know what you guys think?

jivetrky said:
Performance difference won't be huge. If you want 3/8", that would work just fine.

:beer:

Alright... what about that rad would that be a good rad to consider?

For rady you could go with Black is pro series, black ice gt series, swfitech mcr series.

The picture is idea how you could mount rady to your case
radbox-installation-mockup-.gif

bail_w said:
Higly recommends you to get masterkleer 7/16" tubing.
I second that. 3/8" tubing is not going to be that much easier to route than 1/2" or 7/16" ID tubing. I am using 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD tubing with cool sleeves and it routes just fine.
This stuff is a bit soft so you'll need the smart coils.

You can mount the rad outside on the back of the case with this. The only part I'm not sure of it getting it outside the case through an open PCI slot. I've never doen that. I always mount my rads internally or leave the case open.

Tommithy said:
I'm a WC noob here so....

First, get away from 3/8 tubing, etc. Go with 1/2" barbs on everything and use either 1/2 ID tubing or 7/16 Masterkleer. The 3/8 stuff is said to be restrictive.

I'd go with the DDC+ pump with a Petra's or Alphacool top. From what I've read they flow as good, if not better as the D5 (MCP655) and are quieter.

You mentioned you want performance and silence. I would opt for a Swiftech MCR220 radiator. It rates well in the efficiency department with low speed fans and is cheaper. The new Extreme II rad is probably good (not many tests out yet) but with a high FPI you may end up having to clean it often. If you have room (I.E. are mounting your rad outside your case) go with a Thermochill rad.

I like the res. I plan on using one in my build.

It seems that the MCW60 is one of the more popular vga blocks. Same thing I plan on using.

I haven't decided on which CPU block I'm going to run but I am keeping upgradeability in mind. Based upon the info on the DangerDen page the TDX will not work on a socket AM2 (it's not listed as supported). The Apogee on the other hand is good for 939 and AM2 motherboards. One other block to throw in the contention is the D-Tek Fuzion. It's new but seems to be getting good words from people that are buying them.

As for coolant, lots of peeps seem to say just use distilled water with an anti algae additive. I haven't researched this much so I can't offer much more then that.

Pretty good recommendations Tommithy. You have been doing your homework.

I echo everything he suggested.

I would skip the TDX block. Don't forget the MP-05 for your CPU. They are right there with the Apogee and may beat an Apogee.

I can't find anything on the DDC+ pump with a Petra's or Alphacool top? Anybody post some links it would be awesome! :D

JdPower said:
I can't find anything on the DDC+ pump with a Petra's or Alphacool top? Anybody post some links it would be awesome! :D
This is the top I have. I just put it on my MCP350 and it looks awesome! The Petra version is cheaper and comes with barbs but it is black. I liked the lexan/plexi Alphacool better because I use top inlet side output setup. But the Alphacool dosen't come with barbs so don't forget those.

I have a pic of mine at home. I'll try to post it tonight.

Back