• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR->PCIE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jedi Mind Trick

Hi, I'm hoping to upgrade from AGP soon. I know I will need a new cpu, gpu, and board obviously, but I was wondering if my 2gbs of corsair xms DDR will be compatible with any quality pcie boards or if i will have to go to ddr2.

Jedi,

If you are sticking with Intel, then the Asrock 775Dual-Vsta will have you covered. Conroe Support (some even argue it can take quad core), DDR/DDR2 RAM, AGP8X, and PCI-E (running at 4X... min hit to performance)

This way you can just upgrade your CPU (E4300:)) and then keep your RAM, and Video card.

I have the board now, but stupid me could not leave it be, and broke it. :( Hopefully I can revive it. Or I guess I can just cough up the 60 bucks for a brand new one.

Bryan d

PS - Get rid of the Ultra PSU, thank goodness my Ultra only killed a P3. The dang thing was feeding my parts 12.9V on the 12V+ line.

Yes, but it won't be too bad if you are only using a mid range graphics card.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810&p=1

The two downsides of this board are that it only has a PCIe 4x slot and only supports about 300Mhz FSB. However with an E4300 you would still get 2700Mhz out of it, and with a gfx card like a 7600 series you might not notice the low bandwidth of the PCIe slot.

No, the Asrock Dual VSTA revision 2.0 supports all Core 2 Duos, it just means your overclocking is a little limited as I said.

it depends on how little Vdimm you need to push more FSB.
If its BH5 or BH6... I would sell my ram.. If its TCCD or something that can overclock decent with low Vdimm, it might be doable to overclock with it.

just don't upgrade to DDR2 on it

Back