• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

680i or other- PLEASE read, really would like your help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

Im really debating what board should get now

680i - reasons i considered are that i can go SLI, that basically it
im gonna get one 8800 GTX and i figured get the 680i so later this year i can pick up another and go SLI

but

with all the problems of the 680i chipset im considering if SLI is worth it

so, should i stick with the 680i so i can upgrade later or go with another board thats a bit safer of a bet

It's up to you. Depends on how badly you want SLI. If you got an E6600, then you probably won't have much trouble since FSB won't be much above 400 FSB. But, that's a lot of cash to drop for the 680i, E6600, and two top end vid cards. Your call.

Well there's no rule that says if you get a 680i you have to go SLI...

What resolution do you game at? anything above 1680x1050 and I would say go SLI, below that its a waste, something will be out to kill the 8800gtx next time around. Keep researching, im thinking that you'll likely be ok with the 680i especially with bios revisions

I wouldn't bother with SLI unless you plan on getting a bigger monitor.

Id get a 975X board or a 965P with ICH8R southbridge board.

I had both the evga 680i and the p5w dh, i stuck with the p5w dh. It gave me a better OC and the overall board layout was much nicer. I game alot and have never truly needed SLI.

SLI. Dunno if p5w has dual lan, but I love that crap too.

I do have a 24" monitor though, and I game at 1680 and 1920... SLI makes a huge difference.

Back