• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What size are the fittings on TT waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artinhawaii

Registered
I bought a TT Tribe on the cheap ($70) and I am quite happy with that thing but I want to change the fittings on the cpu block since they're only 1/4".

I noticed that the Alphacool cpu block fittings look really nice. Their size is mentioned as 1/4" BSPT/1/2" for 1/2" tubing connections.

Does anybody know if they have the same thread as the thermaltake fittings?

Well, maybe somebody knows at least what thread type fits the TT.

Thanks you

mike

I can't find the thread information anywhere. You'll have to take the fittings off of the TT block and measure them yourself.
1/4" BSPP and 1/4" NPT are roughly 1/2" in diameter.
NPT is a taper thread, BSPP is parallel.
BSPP 1/4 (G1/4) has 19 threads per inch, where-as NPT 1/4" has 18. Here's a good visual comparison.
http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20050301/4860K152L.GIF

However, they do offer 3/8" fittings for that block when it's sold seperately so you may want to contact thermaltake about having them send you the alternative fittings.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=199&products_id=2633

they are off-sized i think roughly 3/8" dia at the threads and its a straight, not tapered thread ... its a really strange and inconvient thread and i have been unable at this time to find anything locally to fit ... the acrylic top may be modifiable, i am personnaly reluctant to do so as my first top cracked just from the pressure of the mounting clips ... they may actually be (now that i think about it) a metric sz/fitting

Last edited:
Yeah, the TT uses unusual fittings. The good news is that they use the same thread type across their accessories like rads and flowmeters etc.
The flow meter is only $19 at CompUSA and has all three size connectors, 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" in the package. That will allow me grab the 1/2" for my water block. The thread is a tad shorter but with some teflon tape on it, it should be just fine. No point in searching in nuts & bolts or plumbing stores, time wise.

There were pics from a WC setup once where it looked like a tape worm :eek: had grown in a water loop, really scary looking! But after a while it was determined that the guy's teflon tape was simply unraveling.:bang head

I would like to point out that rather than buying another part just for barbs, it's not very difficult to make a new top for a waterblock that has the O-Ring channel in the copper base. You only need the tap you want to thread the barb holes with, a decent ruler, and a drillpress with a few bits.
I've already made quite a few replacement tops using the machining template method I came up with.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=387265

If you need me to make you a new top out of 1/2-inch thickness polycarbonate or CPVC with 1/4" NPT I would be willing to do so.

Otherwise just contact thermaltake about obtaining 1/2" fittings separately.

Thanks for the kind offer. At the existing price point it's not that big a deal. The flow meter might get some use anyway later on a vga cooling loop in 3/8".
Living in Hawaii has its disadvantages when it comes to shipping of any kind. There is almost nothing I can order without FEDEX or UPS charges which are usually $10 or more.

I'm a great friend of making my own stuff but the WB has 6 holes plus an insert for a LED on the side. the work and shipping would far exeed the real value of it. This is no WHITEWATER!

Ordering the 1/2" connectors from TT doesn't make sense finacially either, due to the costs of shipping and the possible waiting time.

Again, thanks for the offer. I keep you in mind for other lucite jobs I might have...:rolleyes:

Back