• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm on LGA775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I switched my Storm over from a s939 to LGA775.

Anyone else running a Storm on LGA775 think that there is hardly any pressure on the block? The Storm was SNUG on my s939...with this I'm relying on 4 small springs to provide all of the pressure.

Reason I am asking is my temps are kinda high. 55c load@ 1.43v/3.6ghz Previous setup was high 30s/low 40s load with 1.5v through an Opty165.

I'm thinking about doing a mod of some sort to get more pressure on it. Is it worth my time?

i use storm on my core 2 works perfectly fine and i get pretty good temps. if you are getting bad temps try to reseat the heatsink, sometimes you don't get all the clamps even and it applys uneven pressure on the processor, so the heatsink doesnt touch the processor as well in some areas. it took me a few tries to get a good seat

I'm not totally sure but from what I've read 55c under load with an E6600 running at 3.6ghz doesn't sound that bad. :beer

First, dont compare temps from and AMD to intel system, second, dont use springs at all, I don't.

nikhsub1 said:
First, dont compare temps from and AMD to intel system, second, dont use springs at all, I don't.

First point, yes. Second point... nik, you need to add YMMV with that... there's going to be some fool out there using XXX ft/lbs of torque w/o springs.

Besides, wasn't there some problem with the hardmount method in your tests where you couldn't get a good seat?

Maviryk said:
First point, yes. Second point... nik, you need to add YMMV with that... there's going to be some fool out there using XXX ft/lbs of torque w/o springs.

Besides, wasn't there some problem with the hardmount method in your tests where you couldn't get a good seat?
In my book YMMV in EVERYTHING, nothing is ever certain. I have never had an issue until the apogee gt block. My 3rd mount of it for the 3rd test went buggered. IDK if the block got hosed from too much mount pressure or what, I really don't know yet.

I think I'll go the no springs route if I can scrounge up nuts to match the thread. The ones that came with it have a cap and only go down so far.

As far as reseats, I've done it twice now with the same result. I used the method I use on engine blocks (cross tightening in stages).

Its a little frustrating to see people with air cooling having temps similar to mine. I'll post my results after I find some nuts.

:mad:

there are other possibilities

the Swiftech hold-down plates are a POS
the holes are the 'correct' size for 6-32 screws but have very sharp edges which will easily and assuredly hang up with any misalignment
- even when testing at Swiftech I always drilled them out to 5/32 and dressed the edges
I suspect this a reason for some of the varied results reported

CoolTechnica understands this, their holes are 11/64
D-Tek does not, I drilled those also

yea, seriously, the last time i checked 55c load isn't bad at all, my conroe loads at 65c and i could care less.

My storm is mounted fine with the sprins pushed almost right down and there is plenty of pressure.

I did remember that the water block came with several screws and some were longer than others (only by about a 1 cm) you might be using a slightly loger screw thus less pressure.

Back