• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Arragement/Performance Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonnyboy88

Registered
Hi, I just bought 2GB (2 1GB Sticks) of PC3200 CL2 Kingston HyperX memory, the specs are exactly the same as my current memory, but mine are 2 512MB sticks. My question is whether or not there is any performance difference depending on where I put them on the mobo (A8N SLI-Premium).

Currently the sockets look like this:
1-empty
2-512
3-empty
4-512

The manual says to use sockets 2 and 4 first, than 1 and 3

Is it better this way:
1-1GB
2-512
3-1GB
4-512

or this way:
1-512
2-1GB
3-512
4-1GB

or does it matter at all?

-Thanks!

jonnyboy88 said:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Oc'ed to 2.7Mhz)
Since A64 memory controllers have a problem with 4 sticks of memory, 1 gig in A1 and 1 gig in B1 will probably be the fastest. Test to verify.

billb said:
Since A64 memory controllers have a problem with 4 sticks of memory, 1 gig in A1 and 1 gig in B1 will probably be the fastest. Test to verify.

my msi k8n board will run the memory at ddr333 if all 4 slots are filled, even if they are filled with 4 sticks of ddr400. Make sure you read your manual and follow it's recommended setups.

Do you really need 3GB? You might be better off with just the 2x 1gb modules.

jonnyboy88 said:
Hi, I just bought 2GB (2 1GB Sticks) of PC3200 CL2 Kingston HyperX memory, the specs are exactly the same as my current memory, but mine are 2 512MB sticks. My question is whether or not there is any performance difference depending on where I put them on the mobo (A8N SLI-Premium).-Thanks!
FWIW, 2x256 + 2x1gig

Attachments

• 3igs.jpg
    3igs.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 76
As long as slots 1 & 3 have the same size sticks and slots 2 & 4 have the same size sticks it will run dual channel. You would be better off running just the 2x1GB in 1 & 3 than 4 sticks.

billb said:
FWIW, 2x256 + 2x1gig

that looks more like 2x512, 2x1024. and the "2.5=crash, 1t=crash" is likely due to the 1024mb modules being rated lower than the 512mb sticks. It's like a heard of animals, it can only move as fast as it's slowest part. that's why it is best to get 4 sticks that are exactly the same...same frequency, same timings, same voltages.

Okay, I just got the new memory, and can't get it to boot faster than 333mhz CL 2.5 and 2T command rate when using all the sticks. I've been researching things and it seems that it is impossible to run 1T with 4 sticks. I'll probably end up just using the 2x1GB and selling the old ones, since I've also found out that 2GB is more than enough for almost anything.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/2gb-ram.html

P.S.
Anyone in the market for a gig of ram?

Last edited:
You are right, the memory controller cannot handle more then 2 banks for either channel in 1t.

Back