• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair ValueSelect or Transcend Jetram with Gigabyte DS3??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenithon

Hi all. The memory I can now get (getting DDR2-667) has been narrowed down to either Transcend Jetram High-Performance or Corsair ValueSelect. In either case I will get 2x1GB sticks. They are also exactly the same price. Difference is that the Transcend is 4-Layer PCB, Corsair is 6-Layer PCB. Does it make a difference? Anyone use either of these or know if any incompatibility issues?

Cheers,
X

PS. disclaimer - live in South Africa, limited options, so please don't link to some special another brand on Newegg cause it simply doesn't apply :D

PPS. the other option is Kingston ValueRam but it is about 20%, and since it will not be overclocked, do not think it is worth the extra cost.

Xenithon said:
Hi all. The memory I can now get (getting DDR2-667) has been narrowed down to either Transcend Jetram High-Performance or Corsair ValueSelect. In either case I will get 2x1GB sticks. They are also exactly the same price. Difference is that the Transcend is 4-Layer PCB, Corsair is 6-Layer PCB. Does it make a difference? Anyone use either of these or know if any incompatibility issues?

Cheers,
X

PS. disclaimer - live in South Africa, limited options, so please don't link to some special another brand on Newegg cause it simply doesn't apply :D

PPS. the other option is Kingston ValueRam but it is about 20%, and since it will not be overclocked, do not think it is worth the extra cost.
Hi, I ran a pair of ddr2 667 (2x512) Transcend Jetram modules. They were
compatible with my very picky Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe. They OC'd great and
scaled very well with vdimm increases. I tested to 900+ and ran at 825
with no problems. They used Brainpower pcb, which is considered to be of
good quality. I'd recommend them to anyone looking at value ram, they
had impressive performance and ran at 4-4-4-12 @800+(default 5-5-5-15)
I have no personal experience with Corsair ValueSelect but you'd likely have
similar performance. Hopefully someone can post their experience with the
Corsair modules.:welcome:

Thanks for the reply! A number of people locally have also talked about the Transcend positively....surprisingly I found a number of people complaining about Corsair, though I think that was all about the TwinX C4 rated series.

Also, is there any difference between a 4-layer and 6-layer PCB module?

Cheers,
X

Xenithon said:
Thanks for the reply! A number of people locally have also talked about the Transcend positively....surprisingly I found a number of people complaining about Corsair, though I think that was all about the TwinX C4 rated series.

Also, is there any difference between a 4-layer and 6-layer PCB module?

Cheers,
X
I've heard complaints about Corsair's value & performance ram as well.
I don't think the difference between 4 or 6 layer pcb is that important.
http://www.century-micro.co.jp/eng/support/tech/tech_ddr400/tech_ddr400low.html
Transcend has been manufacturing good quality parts for 10-20 years.
Some of their ddr2 667 modules used Micron D9 chips.
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
My Transcend clocked really high and I was wondering what my chips were.
Compared to other ram reviews, this ram always performed well.
http://reviews.pcapex.com/memory/transcend_standard_ddr2-800_ram.php
Good Luck with your eventual choice!:)
Edit; I also have a Transcend flash drive, this drive and my other modules
are/ have been very reliable. Here's a screen using the Transcend ram;
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p63/stebly/?action=view&current=MWSnap020.jpg
I honestly think that these are a great choice, I've never heard a single
complaint about them, and yet have heard more than one or two complaints
about Corsair Valueselect. Do as much research as you can. I know
that if I had to buy value ram, I'd buy Transcend.:)
Here's a site, it shows Transcend scoring above Corsair in every category;
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/memory/ddr2/2006/p965-ram-oc/ramchart-lg.png
Cheaper too!!

Last edited:
If you hear complaints about our memory it is understandable and easily explained. We sell LOTS of Value Select modules and I would venture to say that we sell a LOT more than Transcend.

Since you are in South Africa, I would suggest you choose the brand you expect to get the best customer service with and the best performance from. Honestly, with VS, the performance will likely be very similiar to the Transcend as they are both generic DIMMs.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
If you hear complaints about our memory it is understandable and easily explained. We sell LOTS of Value Select modules and I would venture to say that we sell a LOT more than Transcend.

Since you are in South Africa, I would suggest you choose the brand you expect to get the best customer service with and the best performance from. Honestly, with VS, the performance will likely be very similiar to the Transcend as they are both generic DIMMs.
Hi Yellowbeard, I hope that you read my first post; quote; "I have no personal
experience with Corsair ValueSelect but you'd likely have similar performance".
I just wanted to give my actual firsthand experience with this ram. I believe
that Corsair makes excellent ram. Further, I do agree that in the event that
you have a problem or you have to rma, that Corsair would provide very good
customer service. I'm hoping that another member will contribute their
experience with Corsair VS to provide a counterpoint to my posts, as this
will allow the original poster a more informed choice. When I upgraded
my ram I had two favorites, Corsair or TeamGroup. I chose TeamGroup
as they could guarantee D9GMH on their x2 6400 modules, and frankly,
I think the Corsair ram in the same price range would have performed as well
as the TeamGroup, I just wanted the D9's, that's about all.
Hope that clears any idea that I'm down on Corsair, thanks.:)

I did not take any offense to your post at all, it was perfectly appropriate IMO. As long as the OP gets the info he wants and buys his memory of choice, it's all good.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
I did not take any offense to your post at all, it was perfectly appropriate IMO. As long as the OP gets the info he wants and buys his memory of choice, it's all good.
Cool, yes it's about helping new members get the best equipment for price
and performance. Overpricing and poor quality lets us all down, these forums
are where I went when I decided to build a higher end computer. :)

Thanks guys! I think Transcend might be just the ticket. Both have "lifetime warranties" here and both are from the same distributor so the backup/support is the same.

One last question though - does it make a difference in that either of these are always sold as single sticks of RAM...in other words you do not get a 2GB kit of 2x1GB "matched" memory...that is only in the higher-level series' like TwinX etc.

Cheers,
X

Xenithon said:
Thanks guys! I think Transcend might be just the ticket. Both have "lifetime warranties" here and both are from the same distributor so the backup/support is the same.

One last question though - does it make a difference in that either of these are always sold as single sticks of RAM...in other words you do not get a 2GB kit of 2x1GB "matched" memory...that is only in the higher-level series' like TwinX etc.

Cheers,
X
My modules were two separate sticks. They didn't come as a matched pair.
If they're identical modules with same timing there will be no problem.
It's a bit of a marketing scam that you must use two factory matched sticks,
or that they must be packaged and sold as a matched pair. Just Google
with this question and you'll quickly find your answer!:)
Dual packaging is usually on "premium priced" ram for maximum profit.
There's only one benefit to buying a factory matched pair and this is
if by some chance they don't function properly, they'll usually replace
as a pair. But chances that two IDENTICAL single sticks wouldn't work
are slight. Even the expensive, matched pairs do not run at exactly
the same milliseconds or millivolts, every stick is ever so slightly
different. That is why good bios' are tweakable in ram section.

Last edited:
Back