• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabye 965 S3 cant get higher then 3.2ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machdown

Registered
Im currently stuck right now at 3.2ghz and cant seem to go higher than that. I think it could be my ram. my ram is originally rated at 4-5-4-15 2.1v. I loosened the timings to 5-5-5-15 and increased vdimm to 2.2 and set the fsb to 425. I saved changes in bios and then the computer just doesnt boot. I mean i hear the fans and everything blowing but then the comp just shuts down and tries to boot up again.

One more thing. How would i reset my bios settings to orignial. Would taking the battery out help me in any way cuz right now i cant even get into bios.

machdown said:
Im currently stuck right now at 3.2ghz and cant seem to go higher than that. I think it could be my ram. my ram is originally rated at 4-5-4-15 2.1v. I loosened the timings to 5-5-5-15 and increased vdimm to 2.2 and set the fsb to 425. I saved changes in bios and then the computer just doesnt boot. I mean i hear the fans and everything blowing but then the comp just shuts down and tries to boot up again.

One more thing. How would i reset my bios settings to orignial. Would taking the battery out help me in any way cuz right now i cant even get into bios.
You need to see what is limiting you. Set your ram on a divider and start pushing up the fsb. If you still get instabilities, then you can pretty much assume its your processor. Increase its voltage slightly, and try again. Continue to increase your voltage to a level which you are comfortable with/is safe for your processor. If still no luck, then you have probably reached its max.

You need to clear your CMOS as well, for the boot issue. There is a jumper just next to and below the 16x PCI-E port (look in the manual if you can't find it).

sounds like you don't have the memory set to 1:1. I don't have the board so I can't tell you exactly how to set it in the bios.

Yea, taking out the battery for about 10 minutes will reset the bios to default settings. I'm surprised cas 5 and 2.2 didn't boot. Try only changing one thing at a time to see what setting it didn't like. You also may need more cpu voltage.

splat said:
sounds like you don't have the memory set to 1:1. I don't have the board so I can't tell you exactly how to set it in the bios.

Press CTRL+F1 on startup, and go into the M.I.T settings. There should be an option there to set the memory multiplier to 2.0. Verify that it is indeed running in 1:1 with CPU-Z.

stags said:
Yea, taking out the battery for about 10 minutes will reset the bios to default settings. I'm surprised cas 5 and 2.2 didn't boot. Try only changing one thing at a time to see what setting it didn't like. You also may need more cpu voltage.

A quicker, and more sensible way, would be to just put a jumper on the CMOS reset jumper. Put it there, wait about 5 seconds, remove it, start up the computer.

Thanks all for the speedy replies. I ended up just taking out the battery for a few seconds and that seemed to work.

I think i found what the problem is. And that is that the ram is not getting enough voltage to perform at the speeds i want to.

So now i need an answer to this question. Where can i find out how much voltage my ram is running at? I need to know this cuz if the ram is running at 1.8v stock and i only added 0.1v then it wouldnt be enough to power it if i were to run the ram at lets say 900mhz. Am I right or just talking **** right now.

1.8 is stock, i believe, so if you "overvolt" by .1, you are at 1.9. Most likely, your ram can handle 2.1-2.2 pretty easily. So bump it up .3v-.4v

splat said:
1.8 is stock, i believe, so if you "overvolt" by .1, you are at 1.9. Most likely, your ram can handle 2.1-2.2 pretty easily. So bump it up .3v-.4v

Yes, I can confirm that 1.8 is stock. My Crucial Ballistix runs at 2.2, so I had to bump it up +0.4v

Thats great. Now how do I find out MCH voltage, FSB voltage and SB voltage values? I know what the final value is supposed to be but all i see in bios is +.1, +.2 ....

I'd bump all of those +.1v max. unless you have good cooling. possibly .2v

I bumped all those voltage settings that i mentioned above by 0.2, the vdimm by 0.4, the cpu to 1.4, set the fsb to 450 and loosened the timings to 5-5-5-15 and the box doesnt boot. Sort of chokes to start up and shows signs of life but then dies. System keeps repeating this process till i take out the battery and reset the bios.

try booting in at a lower fsb, like 425, then using clockgen to bump the fsb up, running super pi 1m or orthos blend for a minute or so. And use CPU-Z to make sure your ram is set to 1:1. I think it's your ram that is limiting you

So here what i got so far with 2.2 vdimm, +0.2 on mch and ich and they rest you can see in the pic. The problem is that if i dare try and run orthos the computer reboots. The only thing I can suggest is to raise the vdimm even more.
What you think?

i have ocz platinum rev. 2 ram and i can get to 450fsb at 1:1 (900mhz) at 4-4-4-15 timings and rip it on super.pi at 16.2 seconds, but any higher i have to loosen timings and then i cant go much farther anyways. this is at 2.1v which is spec.

these sticks are promos ram, that is why they are cheaper. maybe u just got unlucky.

but it could be your processor. you have to do what was suggested above to find out which it is, your ram or your cpu.

try booting at 400 x 8, then in Windows, try using clock gen to see how far you can overclock. Don't raise the vdimm any higher than 2.2 because it may overheat.

Back