• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Dx Shut Down Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nabis

I put together an e6700 machine last night with a P5B Deluxe.
While browsing through the BIOS, something that I could not find, that I'm used to seeing on other boards, is the CPU shutdown option (ie - 60C, 70C, 80C,).... is it there, or locked at a certain temp without option, or what?

I can only hope, and assume, that it has a built-in shutdown somewhere around 80C. I do think it's somewhat strange that a $50 Mobo has this option, but a premier C2D mobo does not.

Kinda off topic but what temp is alright to run the motherboard at? Ive got my cpu down to around 35c idle and yet my motherboard is running around 38c. I guess i need to add fans on my nb and such. But whats a good temp for these board to be running at?

Also im using asus probe for the temps. When i use TAT it gives me 46c for cpu instead of the probe 36c. My cpu is lapped and not even running at 3.6 with these temps. I lower cpu to 3.4 for now due to me not knowing if mb temp of 38c is ok. So which do i trust?

Last edited:
boostified said:
Kinda off topic but what temp is alright to run the motherboard at? Ive got my cpu down to around 35c idle and yet my motherboard is running around 38c. I guess i need to add fans on my nb and such. But whats a good temp for these board to be running at?

Also im using asus probe for the temps. When i use TAT it gives me 46c for cpu instead of the probe 36c. My cpu is lapped and not even running at 3.6 with these temps. I lower cpu to 3.4 for now due to me not knowing if mb temp of 38c is ok. So which do i trust?

TAT and Coretemp is accurate for CPU temp.

NB Temp I found was off when I was running it since a Thermal probe in the heatsink was acctually hotter then the NB. Put a little fan or get some airflow and it will drop temps like a rock. SB is also a hot one if u want to get some ventalation down there.

Well i dont see how i could possibly be running at 46c for cpu when my cpu is lapped and has schythe infinity for cooling. My infinity is even pressure mounted. Just doesnt seem realistic to have my cpu running at 46c at idle. Barely overclocked people see around 35c usually. I hear people suggest using probe and tat but with the 2 being so different then its hard to know which one to use. My mbm5 told me my cpu was at the same the probe was at. So now with mbm5 and probe saying same thing and tat saying another. Logically i would think tat is off but people say otherwise.

boostified said:
Well i dont see how i could possibly be running at 46c for cpu when my cpu is lapped and has schythe infinity for cooling. My infinity is even pressure mounted. Just doesnt seem realistic to have my cpu running at 46c at idle. Barely overclocked people see around 35c usually. I hear people suggest using probe and tat but with the 2 being so different then its hard to know which one to use. My mbm5 told me my cpu was at the same the probe was at. So now with mbm5 and probe saying same thing and tat saying another. Logically i would think tat is off but people say otherwise.

Simple I've had lapped CPU's that hit 50C idle on my setup currently. These are what I call the "Hot" C2D's. They ran ~10C warmer then what others ran. And they did run hotter because the heatsink was warmer. My guess behind this was a bad connection between the actual DIE itself and the IHS.

Just because the CPU is lapped and you have a schythe infinity doesn't mean there isn't other issues for cooling. My 2 lapped CPU's I did bearly made a difference, one was a cool runner the other was a hot one. It also depends on room temp, humidity, case temp, air flow and what voltages your pumping into the CPU itself.

BTW while you said you clocked back down to 3.4Ghz. At that speed I run low 40's idle and right around 50 OC'ed currently (computer is near a heat vent). Which seems to be ~ low average to below average on air from what people run at here on OC.

Note: CoreTemp and TAT actually read a thermal sensor within the CPU die itself. It gives the most accurate core temp we've seen to date compared to the socket thermal probes mounted on motherboards that have a range for there temps.

I guess i just need to forget air cooling mods and jump to water cooling. By the time i get done setting up all my things needed to get a cooler cpu i could have bought the necessary water cooling components. gives me a reason to blow some money on something i really dont need :) Thanks deathman for the reply.

Don't get too excited about WCing...it helped a ton with my Opty165 (20c drop from air).

That's not the case with this E6600.

When I was running [email protected] I was hitting 55/56 load.

I've been told the temps are measured differently on these C2Ds. I'm still a little uneasy about temps like that, though.

I guess i just need to take my computer and stick it in the freezer then to get low temps. ha o well it will do for now until i upgrade to quad.

Back