• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attn: 680i and tuniq tower users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scar

be advised that the back plate for the tuniq tower shorts out a small smd on the board (C15D2) and possibly touches two other larger ones (C14E1 and C15D4 ) when sink is tightened down. i had to drill out a hole where the little one is and grind down the area where the other two large ones are.
Symptoms are a random "- -" post code and random mobo shutdowns.
I ran orthos anywhere from 5-8 hours over the past 3 days working on my overclock. orthos ran the entire time during those tests only to be greeted with a - - after restarting to go into the bios or by a shutdown once i got back into windows and starting orthos again.
IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Last edited:
Did you think to glue hardened washers of the same diameter as the mounting holes down first? They only need to be an 1/8" thick,just enough to raise it up. As I have said in the past I did that to my current board with my Hyper 48.

i sure didn't. a drill and a dremel made short work of it for me.

This is interesting. I just received my RMA replacement motherboard and noticed it was packaged entirely different than the first one I received. I didnt check the components on the back, but I will check it out when I get home today.

I certainly had clearance issues with my Tuniq backplate and original DOA evga 680i board. If all else fails, I found some nice nylon washers that should give me the clearance I need.

EVGA said:
To clear up the confusion that some have with the change they are seeing on the back of the motherboard.

The changes made to the motherboard were that Two 22 uF 1206 size backside decoupling capacitors were removed from the EVGA nForce® 680i SLI motherboard. The two capacitors were used as incremental increases to the decoupling already on the CPU VCCP rail. The parts were removed in the lab and went through a full regression of our CPU voltage regulator and found no change to the response, output ripple or load line. Thus the removal of these parts was no risk to the design or capabilities of the motherboard.

This change allows users to use after market CPU cooling solutions with no problems.

There are no other changes to the board.

Thank you,
Joe Darwin
[email protected]

Well, damn the luck. :(

I opened my new RMA replacement board anticipating it to be one of the newer revs, but alas it is not. I had the entire new packaging scheme with new cables and whatnot, but the board itself is the older style with the caps on the back and part number ending in "AR".

I guess I get to play with the nylon washers to get clearance for my tuniq mounting bracket.

jivetrky said:
I think the issue is that the backplate will actually crush the chips, not just short them

Right. The way the caps lie makes the backplate raise up off the board on one corner and keeps it from sitting flush. This causes a lot of pressure to sit on the raised component. With the 4 nylon washers, it raises the backplate about 1/8" off the board at all 4 screw points giving clearance over the components.

it was shorting out, which was my problem.
Guess i got really lucky that C15D2 didn't get crushed too.

What if you used spacers under the screw holes? Rubber or whatever. Would it make the mount stick out to far and hit the MOBO tray?

EDIT whoops already stated.
With the 4 nylon washers, it raises the backplate about 1/8" off the board at all 4 screw points giving clearance over the components.

Latest CPUz reports 1.44 VCore at load. I did have to bring it up a notch cause Orthos was failing around 5 hours. I now have it tested 15hrs Orthos with max temps hitting around 58/59c full load (using Intel TAT).

I'm happy with the result. :beer:

My chip is a 32A if anyone's curious.

The only downside was I found my motherboard has the PS2 keyboard issue. I had to go out and find a USB keyboard, but now all is well.

Back