• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Petra's Tech Shop - out of stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Graystar said:
I dunno...seems like a lot of money to spend for no measurable improvement to the system. But hey...it’s your money!
:confused:

I'll find out in a couple of weeks. As soon as Sidewinder gets those Deltas in I'll be experimenting. How about an FX-55 and a 4400+ - both OC'ed and under Storms? You think that will be enough load for a test loop ...? :evil grin:

QuietIce said:
Nowhere in the landscape of watercooling forums will you find a post that says:

“I just switched to a DDC with an aftermarket top and my temperatures dropped!”

And there is a very good reason for this...because it doesn’t. Most people will only see a 0.1 GPM improvement in flow rate by using a Petra top. Some will get no improvement. A few will get a loss of flow. In any case, a DDC+ already provides enough flow such that any increase of any size (or slight decrease) will likely go unnoticed.

Graystar said:
“I just switched to a DDC with an aftermarket top and my temperatures dropped!”

And there is a very good reason for this...because it doesn’t.
The circumstances would entirely depend on what equipment the DDC-2 is pumping water through.
And I'm under the impression that another highly attractive reason to use an alternative top with the pump is so you can use 1/2" ID barbs rather than adapting the 3/8" barbs on the stock top.

Captain Slug said:
The circumstances would entirely depend on what equipment the DDC-2 is pumping water through.
And I'm under the impression that another highly attractive reason to use an alternative top with the pump is so you can use 1/2" ID barbs rather than adapting the 3/8" barbs on the stock top.
That may be the general belief, but it's not reality. It doesn't matter what equipment is being used.

Using 1/2" barbs, however, is a good reason if it's really a pain to use 3/8" (or if you just want to use 1/2".) Again, the chances of seeing an improvement between 3/8" and 1/2" is pretty slim but if it makes building the system easy then it might have value.

Personally, I use 3/8", but otherwise I would just use a couple of 3/8"-1/2" converters on my DDC if I had to use 1/2" tubing.

Graystar said:
That may be the general belief, but it's not reality. It doesn't matter what equipment is being used.

Using 1/2" barbs, however, is a good reason if it's really a pain to use 3/8" (or if you just want to use 1/2".) Again, the chances of seeing an improvement between 3/8" and 1/2" is pretty slim but if it makes building the system easy then it might have value.

Personally, I use 3/8", but otherwise I would just use a couple of 3/8"-1/2" converters on my DDC if I had to use 1/2" tubing.
I'm from Missouri and our motto is "Show Me" (no joke - ever heard of a "Missouri Mule"?), so I'll test that for myself. I'll post results just because but I'm not really doing it for anybody else, just me. :) Two Delta EFB1212SHE on a heater core and a pair of Storms will make up the loop. I have both an MCP350 and an MCP355 plus a Petra's top and I'll also be switching the tubing sizes from 3/8" to 1/2" - a total of eight configurations. Just for grins I might add another heater core on two or four of the configs but it won't have the Delta's on it, just a couple of Scythes for a pre-cooler.

Sidewinder is now saying end of next week before they get the fans :( originally it was 20 Jan ...

QuietIce said:
I'm from Missouri and our motto is "Show Me" (no joke - ever heard of a "Missouri Mule"?), so I'll test that for myself. I'll post results just because but I'm not really doing it for anybody else, just me. :) Two Delta EFB1212SHE on a heater core and a pair of Storms will make up the loop. I have both an MCP350 and an MCP355 plus a Petra's top and I'll also be switching the tubing sizes from 3/8" to 1/2" - a total of eight configurations. Just for grins I might add another heater core on two or four of the configs but it won't have the Delta's on it, just a couple of Scythes for a pre-cooler.
Wow! That's a lot of testing! I'm certainly interested in the results. Hope it all goes well! :thup:

Back