• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get my new OCZ 2x1GB PC4000 stable at stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I just got a pair of 2x1GB OCZ PC4000 Gold Edition sticks today and I can't seem to get them stable at their stock settings of 3-4-3-8 at 250MHz. I've tried vdimm settings of Auto, 2.65, 2.75, and 2.85, and none of them will even get me to 245MHz with these timings, let alone 250. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Memory.JPG
    Memory.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 234
Are you sure its the memory? If you can set the multi on the cpu real low and try running some memtest. Also try setting the timings a little higher and see if you can clock it up. If it still fails it might be the memory and you might consider an RMA.

I had a similar problem from some OCZ sticks I bought open box on newegg. Whoever had them first fried them. They need 2.9 volts (max safe vdimm) to run Stock 200MHz stable.

Fortunately they are OCZ so you can RMA them.

As mentioned above about your CPU. That speed looks fine, just make sure you are not undervoltingthe cpu, those 2MB amds love the jooce. EDIT: nm I just saw you are giving 1.48....

wannaoc said:
Are you sure its the memory? If you can set the multi on the cpu real low and try running some memtest. Also try setting the timings a little higher and see if you can clock it up. If it still fails it might be the memory and you might consider an RMA.
I'm almost positive its the memory. The CPU is good to about 2700MHz (2650 or so stable) and the HT is good to 1100 or so. The only other thing it might be is the HTT, but I really doubt it. *sigh* I really hope I don't have to RMA these, but I guess thats why I bought OCZ. :shrug:

SteveOCZ said:
Test each of the sticks alone using the same dimm slot at the stock settings of the memory. Let me know what yo find out
Will do. RyderOCZ over at the OCZ forums suggested running at 2T, but shouldn't these sticks be able to run at their rated speeds at 1T?

LoneWolf121188 said:
Will do. RyderOCZ over at the OCZ forums suggested running at 2T, but shouldn't these sticks be able to run at their rated speeds at 1T?

Yes, they should. 2T is no exception. Even if they do run stable at 2T that doesn't mean it's ok. I suggest doing this. Set the sticks are their rated stock speeds, timings and voltage, boot up memtest86 and do some of the tests. I can't remember which ones OCZ likes you to run for proof I guess but I think Steve here can help with that.

I had no end of problems trying to get my OCZ's to run their rated speeds on my Asus board. I had no better luck with a set of gSKill HZ's. Ryder over at the OCZ forums told me these A8N series boards aren't capable of running at 250 at 1T. I sent my EL plats back for RMA, and the ones they sent me won't run 250 at 1T either. This at 3-4-4-10, 3-3-3-8 isn't even near an option. They almost finished Super Pi, then it crashed. It sucked to, because a 28 second time was almost right there..lol

On a side note, I was kinda suprised, because my e-mail response from OCZ said they were sending some EB plats, and I got another set of EL's.

I had an A8N-E & it would not much over 240HTT at 1T even with my OCZ 4800 Platinum Elite. I had stability problems at higher settings even at 2T.
I got the 2x512 kit on an RMA> Sean at OCZ personally tested these sticks to make sure they're good. OCZ rocks!
I'd say the problem is with your mobo, not the RAM.
-Dave

your TRC looks SUPER high, and your TRFC looks super low for those settings. lower TRC to around 10 and up TRFC to like 18. then increase MAL to like 9ns and RP to like 6.0ns. then try setting idle clock at 64 clocks. put TRRD up to 3 and change bypass max from 4x to 7x. try each of those one at a time, that should help you alot.

and iirc the a8n-sli "(not 32-sli) had 2x1gig stick issues.

SteveOCZ said:
Test each of the sticks alone using the same dimm slot at the stock settings of the memory. Let me know what yo find out
OK, after a few hours of testing, here's what I found: The A8N-SLI's DIMM slots are labeled A1, B1, A2, and B2 (blue, black, blue, black). They recommend using A1 and A2 for two-stick DDR. I tried running the sticks individually in each of the memory slots at 250MHz and 3-4-3-8-1T, running test 5 of memtest for about 3-5 passes. Both slots A1 and B1 could handle both sticks individually just fine at those settings, but slots A2 and B2 errored out almost instantly. IDK if that just becuase you're supposed to be using slot A1 for one stick of RAM or if its because the slots are bad or something else. Going to 2T gave me errors at 252MHz. So it seems as though the memory is OK, as they both ran at their rated settings individually in both slots A1 and B1. I also tried putting sticks in both slots A1 and B1 and running memtest, that gave me errors at the stock settings.

So whats going on here? Is it the board? Is it the mem controller on the CPU?

Did you reset cmos and then set by spd in the begining ?
Some ram timing could have been carried over by an old set because all values in spd are not written by the spd by some manufacturers. Some values are only set at 0 and use a default timing value assigned. Some may have been set by a faster set and receive a 0 by the new and do not change.
Using an spd tool I looked at a dump file from som similar Planum edition pc4000 8-2-3-3 and the trc and trfc are different and may have carried over from previous ram.

Steve: No, I don't know anyone with a DDR1 enthusiast board that can handle OCing.

shadowdr said:
Did you reset cmos and then set by spd in the begining ?
Some ram timing could have been carried over by an old set because all values in spd are not written by the spd by some manufacturers. Some values are only set at 0 and use a default timing value assigned. Some may have been set by a faster set and receive a 0 by the new and do not change.
Using an spd tool I looked at a dump file from som similar Planum edition pc4000 8-2-3-3 and the trc and trfc are different and may have carried over from previous ram.
hmmm, didn't think of that, I'll give it a shot.

its your mobo...I am in the same boat with my GSKILL HZ. Depending on the revision of you deluxe you simply may not be able to run a 2 gig kit at 250mhz or higher:(

Back