• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noobe Question regarding P5B and PCI Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyboy

Registered
:bang head I'm a bit new at all of this and would like to start my build before I get ALL of the eventual preferred parts. As an example, I would like to eventually get a 8800GTS but for now I would like to use a GF FX5200 256MB DDR PCI card that I happen to have. Is this possible or do I have to have a PCIe Graphics card? I'll most likely be putting this into a ASUS P5B WiFi, Antec P150 Case, Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU. Not sure on the rest of the stuff yet.

You could use it but it'd probably bottleneck the hell out of your CPU. It'd be ok if you don't plan on playing any game on the new machine, otherwise it would be a good idea to get a new PCIE card that will compliment the CPU.

:beer: Thanks DeepSky. I plan to get a good video card but I want to get started on the base project now! I just received my Westy LVM-37w3 today (what a monitor). Got it hooked up and it looks great. But this is on my OLD machine - Old Compaq with AGP card. My new machine will take some $$, so I would like to build in a couple stages. As long as the standard PCI card will drive a monitor and I can use it for a bit - I'll be a happy camper! Thanks again.

Back