• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD-12V D5 pump news

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artinhawaii

Registered
Since there were a few complaints about the D5 pump in the forums, I decided to have a look at the manufacturer in Germany on the web.

It just happened that I speak fluent German and therefore could gain some interesting insights from their manuals etc.

The D5 is built with different tops (plastic, brass etc.) with up to 3/4" outlets.
The innards and their function are quite unique and are patented. Laing Incorporated actually builds mainly industrial pumps for critical applications and they seem to still enjoy good old German quality standards.

One important advice with the D5 is to NEVER EVER run the pump dry, it has to be always primed with water/fluid since the fluid is preventing the contact between the ceramic/plastic parts. You run the pump even once dry and you might have already damaged it!
They even recommend to slightly open the pump casing with a turn or two so that air can get out if needed when you first fill the loop up, once water comes out you're good.(easily said...when inside a case)

It is potentially possible but rare that the steel shaft inside gets damaged and shows traces of wear. This rotor shaft is an easy replaceable part (at least in Germany!).

Any other noise will be caused by AIR or DIRT. In the manual it looks rather easy to take the pump apart...they recommend to certainly clean the O-ring before reassembly.

What I found interesting is that at least all German versions can run at voltages from 8 to 24V. Due to the design of the motor you don't necessarily get higher pressure but always highest RPM at voltages over 12 V. Total power does never exceed about 25 Watts.

Laing Inc. has now problems with some company copying their designs, for now only the old DDC version. They show pics on their site of the fakes that are taller than their original and have regular little pump motors in them that die within weeks.

Maybe I send them an email about the washing machine noises reported here. They might respond to a German email a little bit more responsive.

FWIW

back to regular programming....

Good info , if they respond to the email post what they say im sure im not the only one that will be interested

I wish I was fluent in German. My parents immigrated to the US from Germany and hence my entire family is German, but I grew up here in the US and only speak enough Deutsch to barely get by and not enough to effectively communicate with my relatives in Germany.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if and or what response you would get.

Back