• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800 MHz mem coming up as 400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XTTX

Well, I checked CPUz, but it shows my memory clocking in at 400 MHz. BIOS shows 800 MHz.

Wow.... Silly mistake on my part. Just upgraded from a computer w/ DDR memory. Was forgetting about the double sided DDR2 ram.

Hmmm, my DDR ram ran at the rated speed (if I remember correctly, but of course I probably don't). Anyways, just another quick question. I noticed that G.Skill doesn't make SLI-ready RAM. Do I need to purchase new sticks, or should these sticks be able to run SLI if I ever upgrade.

XTTX said:
Hmmm, my DDR ram ran at the rated speed (if I remember correctly, but of course I probably don't). Anyways, just another quick question. I noticed that G.Skill doesn't make SLI-ready RAM. Do I need to purchase new sticks, or should these sticks be able to run SLI if I ever upgrade.

just a marketing gimmick

It's not "SLI" like you are thinking...there is no performance gain. It just has different profiles in the SPD that will apply overclocked settings to the RAM. If you have ANY overclocking knowledge, you can easily do this yourself.

DDR2-800 is 2 sticks of memory actually running at 200Mhz. DDR or Double Data Rate is the double which allows the memory to ship 2 frames of bits in one clock cycle. A clock cycle is defined as a signal going from low voltage to high voltage and returning to low again. DDR(2) uses the signal rise from low to high to transfer the first set of bits (64) and then also uses the signal fall from high to low to pull in a second set of bits (64).
Dual Channel is a parallel stick of ram on a separate channel of 64 bits allowing your processor to pull in 128 bits at one time.

See the Single vs Dual thread for if Single vs Dual is worth it!

Edit:
SLI Ram or Intel Ram is as jivetrky said SPD settings are tweeks and the ram has been tested in an SLI system. We overclockers already know how to tweek it so it's more of a feel good thing. The time is better spent saving the cheerleader!

Last edited:
AlabamaCajun said:
DDR2-800 is 2 sticks of memory actually running at 200Mhz. DDR or Double Data Rate is the double which allows the memory to ship 2 frames of bits in one clock cycle. A clock cycle is defined as a signal going from low voltage to high voltage and returning to low again. DDR(2) uses the signal rise from low to high to transfer the first set of bits (64) and then also uses the signal fall from high to low to pull in a second set of bits (64).
Dual Channel is a parallel stick of ram on a separate channel of 64 bits allowing your processor to pull in 128 bits at one time.

See the Single vs Dual thread for if Single vs Dual is worth it!

Edit:
SLI Ram or Intel Ram is as jivetrky said SPD settings are tweeks and the ram has been tested in an SLI system. We overclockers already know how to tweek it so it's more of a feel good thing. The time is better spent saving the cheerleader!

Save the cheerleader, save the world, I always say!

And AC, Don't you mean that DDR2-800 runs at 400Mhz?

Hipcrostino said:
LMAO thats great!

jivetrky i like you new avatar.

back on topic... i gots nothing, has all been said.

When I watched the last episode of heroes I was SO excited that there was a clear shot of Hiro's sword. First thing I thought of was "yay, new avatar!" :)

Back