• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extensive Water-Cooling Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

._sp.ydR_

Hey guys. Alright, I have a pretty long question. I am currently in the process of choosing my parts for my water-cooling equipment. I want to use T-Line instead of a reservoir. I'm going to use a heater core from a car instead of a radiator. Ok, so on to the questions.

Questions
------------------------------------------------------
1. I am replacing the input/output barbs on the heater core with 1/2" copper hose barbs. What should I use to connect them? I've heard everything from solder to a kind of sealant tape?

2. I've heard that silicon hosing is good for using throughout your system. I want to use PVC for the fill line (since its transparent) and silicon for the rest. Is this the best way?

3. What should the t-piece be made out of? Do they make copper ones?

4. I have heard that using 75% distilled water and 25% anti-freeze is sufficient for the fill liquid. Is this correct?

Recommendations
------------------------------------------------------
1. Pump (Want to use 1/2" hoses/In-Line Pump) - Hydor L30 320 GPH Water Pump, Alphacool Laing D4-Pump or Eheim 1048

2. Water Block (Using 1/2" hoses/Athlon 64 (939) - Swiftech MCW5000, Danger Den Maze 4 or Danger Den TDX

I know this is involved but I just want to make sure before I throw a few hundred down. Any other recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

Hello, and :welcome: to the forums.

EDIT: Take a look at this thread. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445248&highlight=heater+core+pics

Most heater cores that folks use have 1/2" OD pipes on them and just need to be cut to length, then you just use worm drive clamps to secure the hose on the cut tube. If you need to add barbs you can use JB Weld, metal epoxy, or solder/sweat barbs on as well.

The best type of tubing is subjective, but most here will say MasterKleer or Tygon.

A nylon T is all you need unless you plan on being ruff to it?

95% ~ 5% Distilled ~ Anti-freeze is more than enough of a mix.

D5 or MPC355 and after market top.

Apogee or ApogeeGT.

Last edited:
You really only need antifreeze if you are using dissimilar metals like aluminum and copper. A mix of 90% water 10% antifreeze is fine. It is a good idea to add a few drops of povidone iodine or other similar biological growth prevention substance to the loop. Many people like to go with more exotic kinds of Anti-freeze like blue Pentosin (I use this), red Toyota, etc. Just a tip (I know you didn't ask) you don't need to buy expensive PC cooling fluids. They really are a waste of money. For the same price you could make many gallons of coolant and the PC stuff is usually only good for 1 filling.

As for pumps and blocks, I have a D5 pump and highly recommend it. It's actually a swiftech pump and they use a different model # but I forget what it is. MCP 655 or something. This is a GOOD pump that will cost about $75 or so and requires no modding. If you want what most people consider to be the best for reasonable cost, go with a DDC+ pump (18w version?) and aftermarket top. You will spend a little more though ($100 or so). I would at least get a D5 as you will be very happy with it and it can handle most anything you want.

Personally I use the Swiftech Storm rev2 which most people on the forums consider to be the top of the line block to get. The Swiftech Apogee is supposed to perform pretty well too and is a bit cheaper.

You don't have to put the radiator before the CPU. You won't see much if any decrease in temperature. It looks like you are going with a relatively smaller radiator. I would personally recommend one that can accomodate 2 120mm fans if you can swing it. You could even mount it outside the case. You most likely will have a hard time fitting the pump in that position with the hard drive cage. I have my pump on the floor of my case. If you put your pump there it will just require a little more tubing to reach the floor from the top for filling the T-line. Whichever way you decide to do it you want to try and keep the tubing as minimal as possible and avoid using more than you have to (with the exception of the T-line). If you get a Storm block you definately want the pump before the CPU because this will give the Storm more pressure (and it works better with more pressure).

image1.gif

Last edited:
Alright, I've done a little more research and here's what I came up with.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal Water-block - Rev 2 - $79.99
- OR -
DD Copper TDX Block - $52.99

MasterKleer 7/16"ID x 5/8"OD x 3/32"WALL tubing - $4.90

Red LED Fan x2- $40.00

Nylon T-Piece - $5.00 ???

'84 Chevette Heater Core - $21.88

Danger Den DD12V-D5 Pump - $74.95

Total:
-------------
w/STORM - $227
w/TDX $200
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Which Water-Block would you guys recommend? I've heard not to go cheap on water-blocks but if the TDX is just as good, I could save a good $30.00.

2. Are there any really, really quiet 120mm Fans for my radiator that you know of? Preferably red LED.

Any other suggestions or comments welcome. Thanks guys.

Diagram
I've beefed up my diagram. See what you think.

Diagram

Side Note - Case I'm thinking about getting. What do you think? Case

I'd buy the Apogee block over the TDX but that's just me - I like Swiftech. :)

Since you're getting the D5 pump I'd stick with 1/2" tubing. Your runs are very simple and the D5 makes a tight fit with 1/2" tubing. You can also avoid the barbs on the radiator if you're using 1/2" - just cut the copper leads off as needed.

For the T-line you might want to consider using a 1/2" - 3/4" - 1/2" copper T (available in the plumbing section). The 1/2" tubing will fit over the 1/2", straight sides with a little help from some hot water and the 3/4" tubing is the same for the "T" part of the line. It also bleeds much much easier & quicker than a simple 1/2" T and gives you over twice the storage space for water so you don't have to fill it as often ...

Last edited:
Oh, ok. I was under the impression that more water flow decreases restriction to the water block???

"Soft and flexible - easy to slip over 1/2"OD barbed fittings" - (On the Masterkleer website)

Website

Back