• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tapping PA Series Rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FallenCow

Registered
How many here have tapped (sp?) their PA 120/130 series rad?

I'm having a hard time finding perfect fitting long screws that fit my PA120 rad. I'd like to use metric sized bolts w/ hex tops (to use w/ an allen wrenches) as I've seen some people do w/ their setups.

Where or how can I get the screw holes on this rad tapped? I live in California. Any advice would be appreciated!

Same 6-32 here. Just go to a hardware store and ask for this thread tap. It costs a few bucks and you don't have to do any hole drilling. I used just plain old machine screws. You should be able to get 6-32 screws with allen tops. I know my local ACE hardware carries them.

I drilled/tapped the side holes with 8/32 and used a shroud. I put threaded rod through the side holes and put nuts on each side to hold the shroud on. I tapped the shroud with 6/32 and used 1/2 screws to screw the fans to the shroud and 1/2 8/32 scews to hold the fans to the top of the case. I ran out of 8/32 screws so I had to use 6/32 in the middle.

If you are looking for hex topped standard screws look at mcmasters. I had a hard time finding metric screws in the US. At McMasters you can get 100 screws for like 6 bucks. You can also buy the taps there also.

Great advice guys. I brought the rad to my local Ace Hardware the last time I redid my loop and the guy said he couldn't tap it for me. Guess I'll have to go and pick up a self tapping thing or water that is. It seems 6/32 is a popular choice among people. It'll probably come down to whatever screws I can find.

FallenCow said:
It seems 6/32 is a popular choice among people.
UNC #6-32 is the standard machine screw for cases. It's the thread on the PCI slots, hard drives, and power supplies. Optical drives however use Metric 3.

Most radiators were designed to use #6 self-tapping sheet metal screws, so the included holes are already drilled to the correct size for any thread count of #6.

To drill a hole to be tapped to #6-32 use a 7/64" drill bit. For a through-holes use 5/32".

I remember people saying that #6 screws are the correct ones for the PA rads but I still can't get those to fit. If I remember correctly, they were too large.

I use 6G 10 mm self tapping sheet metal screws (6G denotes the width of the screw in Australia) (10mm denotes the length).

After using them for a while taking the rad in and out of my case several times. The holes in the rad get worn out a bit and the screws no longer have the "bite" they used to.

Back