• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a C2D E6400 on a P5NSLI. Memory blues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matrixfart

I am really not sure where to post this, but I believe this would be the most prudent location.

I am going to attemt and overclock of my E6400 on my P5NSLI mobo, however I would like to ask you all for an opinion or two.

I was planning on purchasing some new RAM for my system before starting overclocking, since 1GB is not enough, and PC3200 is a bit slow.
Initially I took a look at 2GB dual channel PC6400 (DDR2 800), more specifically the Corsair Dominator. However after further review, it appears P5NSLI only supports DDR2 677 / 533. This whilst the fbs is 1066 / 800 / 533.
Does this mean that DDR2 800 RAM will not work on the board, that it will only work at 677, or am I missing something in my logic?

If DDR800 will work I might end up purchasing the Dominator despite the high price, unless someone here has a good suggestion for another RAM which will work just as well at a lower price for my current setup.
Dominator has a core voltage of 2,1V, which is also the maximum my P5NSLI will tolerate from bios, would this pose a problem when syncing RAM/CPU FBS? I would probably have to underclock my DDR2 800 somewhat in order to create a 1:1 ratio.

If DDR800 will not work, I will have to go with DDR 677. It would mean my max clock (If I keep a 1:1 ratio and do not OC my RAM) would be a humble 2.708 GHz. For further overclocking I would have to OC my RAM, and that is not farmiliar territory unless some of you have anything to add to what is already in the guides. Any good purchasing tips welcomed. I would probably lean towards a Corsair XMS2 kit myself.

I have figured that it would be easier to underclock DDR2 800 RAM than to overclock DDR2 677 RAM. Unless someone has any avertions to that belief.

I will be using stock cooling in case anyone was wondering. And my PSU is an Antec Tru Power Trio 650W.

In advance thank you for any and all replies.

Back