• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SilenX 90 cfm of air while only creating 18 dBA of noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bad Maniac

90 cfm of air while only creating 18 dBA of noise.

Why is this even allowed on the front page!?

I have an imaginary car that does 10000 km per liter and 0-100km/h in under a quarter of a partial second. GIVE ME A BREAK!

I love how the specs are 18dba and yet the reviewer says it's "quite audible". 18dba is definitely not quite audible.

what a tragedy. i cant believe they would let that stuff on the front page.

Wasnt there allready a SilenX article by the same guy just a week or two back? (i was going to post a discussion, but i had such a fit about it i had to let it alone)

its really a shame this author has pretty much been given free run of the front page. his articles could find a much better home on several other tech websites i know of. they dont really fit here, but would probably go over well somewhere else.

Maviryk said:
I love how the specs are 18dba and yet the reviewer says it's "quite audible". 18dba is definitely not quite audible.

Haha, QFT.

Anyway if they were really 18dBA, the increase in noise level would technically be so negligible that it most likely wouldn't be heard since background noise or ambient noise would already be ranging from 30-40+ dBA. A difference of 10dB or more between the noise source and background noise would not increase the measured noise level or the increase would be so negligible that it can be considered to be zero.

The least he could have done would be to at least have a cheap sound level meter, better than using the ear test which is highly subjective and unreliable.

orionlion82 said:
what a tragedy. i cant believe they would let that stuff on the front page.

Wasnt there allready a SilenX article by the same guy just a week or two back? (i was going to post a discussion, but i had such a fit about it i had to let it alone)

its really a shame this author has pretty much been given free run of the front page. his articles could find a much better home on several other tech websites i know of. they dont really fit here, but would probably go over well somewhere else.

QFT as well. His past few articles have progressively been getting worst, they look more and more like advertisements or at least paid reviews that are glorifying the products in question.

Maybe it's due to the "prize money" ? The 25 bucks to article writers.

Last edited:
I've had that same fan. They are VERY quiet. (probably not 18dba since that's supposed to be inaudible)

But the problem i had with them is that they get very noisy when you put them up against something. I had them on my radiator for a while, and they DO push a good amount of air, but they got quite noisy when against the RAD. Not like ear piercing or anything, but like: "Hey this thing should not be this loud since I just paid $25 for it!".

So this guys fairly simple review isn't too far off. When they are sitting out int he open they are ultra quiet, but in the case, up against the back of the case, they probably increased in noise a little bit. But I'm sure over all the rest of the system, you still could not hear them.

hmmm, after looking I see that this isn't quite the same one I had. The one I had was a 38mm fan, but I think ti was rated for 72CFM and 18db (which, BTW, with my caveman tests of seeing how fast it could fill a plastic bag I found it to actually push about 60CFM)

After them, I switched to Scythe S-Flex SFF21F's ....they had about the same noise level (the scythe's are very quiet) except that when you put the Scythe's up against a radiator, they don't suddenly get noisy.

EDIT: oh and BTW, if that review didn't say SilenX on it, noone would be saying it is crap, etc. Yes, they seem to have bad business practice, and yes they are WAY overpriced. But they are actually decent fans. If they were priced around maybe $13-15 I think they'd be worth it. MANY companys inflate or deflate their sound and CFM ratings. Since there's no set rules for testing these things, they can do it however they want. But many/most manufacturer's don't report the proper specs, it's just the way it goes.

jivetrky said:
I've had that same fan. They are VERY quiet. (probably not 18dba since that's supposed to be inaudible)

EDIT: oh and BTW, if that review didn't say SilenX on it, noone would be saying it is crap, etc. Yes, they seem to have bad business practice, and yes they are WAY overpriced. But they are actually decent fans. If they were priced around maybe $13-15 I think they'd be worth it. MANY companys inflate or deflate their sound and CFM ratings. Since there's no set rules for testing these things, they can do it however they want. But many/most manufacturer's don't report the proper specs, it's just the way it goes.

I agree.

I am a little surprised and anoyed these fans made it on Front page as well.
I think on here, it's been fairly well agreed in that these fans are far from what they advertise to be. and That the company is horrible.

jivetrky said:
I agree, it is kind of strange to see it on the front page like that. SilenX doesn't have a good rep around here.

they have a bad "rap" around here, because of value and buisness practices (oversimplification)- i hear they did come out with an "in house" series of fans that were decent, but nothing that would interest me.

and i would be pretty certian that they dont have a "Rep" on the forms - good - bad - or otherwise :santa: ...

yeah, i dont like the thought too much of good ol' PK having a good laugh at us because of it either...

why the SilenX PR blob at the bottom of the article? geez.

i diddnt think authors could do that without some kind of disclosure...

I don't even know where to begin with this....

But the Article writers statement of:

If you want the Mercedes Benz S600 of case fans, look no further than Silenx.

Mercedes Benz of fans, sorry but that's about the biggest steamiest pile of misinformation I have ever heard in my life, the article's author is entitled to his opinion, as I'm entitled to mine. My opinion is based on hard fact. His opinion is his opinion, but it's one I cannot elaborate strongly enough that I do NOT agree AT ALL
exclaim.gif
Mercedes Benz of case fans my ARSE.
bs.gif

My opinion is not one of this forum's owners or Overclockers.com owners, my personal opinion is just that, SilenX as a company is an atrocious farce with their employees or owner trolling numerous forums with shills pimping their lackluster high priced Sleeve bearing craptastic junk fans, that's right I said craptastic junk.
I have also chased SilenX shills off these forums numerous times because they refuse to answer questions, and I do not tolerate shills pimping their products under fraudulent identities pretending to be a member, when in fact they are SilenX employees.

I personally was responsible for making people aware that in the past, SilenX fans were nothing more than rebranded ADDA sleeve fans. SilenX got sick of me pointing this out and they FINALLY added on their site their fans are SLEEVE bearing. (I believe they also started having their rebranded fans made in a new casing so they do not have to Change ADDA fan stickers to SilenX stickers, the new fan casing says SILENX. Who makes this fan is unknown, but it's probably not made by them, most likely a Chinese or Taiwanese manufacturer.

More on SilenX's history of being deceptive, sneaky, fraudulent and downright unethical in their pimping their overpriced craptastic fans.

SilenX gained their followers through deception, lies and BS.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4551

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4504

I have asked silenX REPEATEDLY how they measured the dba, they refused to answer the question

Here is a thread where I gave a lesson to a probable SILENX SHILL about the pro's and cons of sleeve and ball bearing fans, naturally he disappeared once I again asked them How and at how many feet do you measure the dBA of all your products?

I also asked them about some alleged resistor they claimed to have added to the rebranded ADDA fans of the past, I asked what airflow loss was the result, and how and how far away were the dba measurments taken? They don't answer these questions, I guess if I want to know the truth, I will need to find out who makes their fans and look up the actual specs.
PS, There's nothing wrong with a company buying fans from say ADDA and rebranding them, but there is a problem when and if they change the specs of the fans to meet their criteria, if nothing is really done, then that is misrepresentation and fraud, same as having shills on many forums pumping their wares under false pretenses, SILENX has been caught by NUMEROUS websites for this behavior.

I don't trust SilenX and anyone that spends their hard earned money on these expensive lackluster fans has more money than common sense.

I personally wish I had not seen the Front Page article regarding SilenX fans, having one of our own call them the Mercedes Benz of fans, actually has me disgusted and embarrassed. But I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Keep in mind, the Front Page staff, Joe Citarella, Skip MacWilliam, or Ed Stroligo DID NOT write this article, because if they did, I'd be calling them right now to allow me to do a rebuttal article with my thoughts, and I would also actually test the CFM stated and dba stated and tell you exactly how I took these measurements, the author of this article did not test the dba or CFM, he most likely relied on SilenX for this information. (Actually, Joe C. would have tested all this information himself rather than rely on manufacturers specs ;)

PS, I would also take this fan apart and figure out who actually made it, and find their specs and see if SilenX has changed these numbers, committing more fraud since lying and BS seemed to be an integral part of SilenX's business model in the past.

Attachments

• no_bullshit.jpg
    no_bullshit.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,572
I guess I missed that blurb ont he bottom of the article when i first read it. I think that is a bit over the top.

Like I said, I think if the SilenX fans were half the price or less, they would probably be worth it. (although admittedly I'd probably buy one again) I agree that their marketing and other practices are pretty shady.

But I'm quite surprised that this got to the front page. perhaps if it was a bit more technical and actually tested airflow and sound, etc. then I could see it. But I did have a little more faith in the site and what they choose to publish. I'd be curious to see what the overclockers.com staff has to say about it. Do they proof things before they go up? Or how exactly does that work?

The Front Page Article is pulled for now. Thanks for the attention to this matter

PS, I might test these fans for a no BS assessment and write it for the Front page. (You can be damned sure I will measure CFM and dba and tell how I take these measurements

I'll also buy them myself and not allow SilenX to send me a review sample, I don't play that game. If they suck, you'll know, if they are good, you'll know.

wow...mental note...never ****** SSS off. I'd be interested in a review by SSS of one of these. I'll say that the business tactics that SilenX has shown in the past are bad at best. However it has been awhile since those things have happened. I'd give the PRODUCT a fair shake with a good review by someone of Sam's standing. The COMPANY, however still has a lot of explaining/apologizing to do.

I will say that I don't think I've seen a look to match that fan elsewhere. If someone knows of one, please post about it.

Silversinksam said:
The Front Page Article is pulled for now. Thanks for the attention to this matter

PS, I might test these fans for a no BS assessment and write it for the Front page. (You can be damned sure I will measure CFM and dba and tell how I take these measurements

I'll also buy them myself and not allow SilenX to send me a review sample, I don't play that game. If they suck, you'll know, if they are good, you'll know.

I think we'd all be interested in a real, quality, unbiased review on them. Thanks! :)

Deadbot1_1973 said:
wow...mental note...never ****** SSS off. I'd be interested in a review by SSS of one of these. I'll say that the business tactics that SilenX has shown in the past are bad at best. However it has been awhile since those things have happened. I'd give the PRODUCT a fair shake with a good review by someone of Sam's standing. The COMPANY, however still has a lot of explaining/apologizing to do.

I will say that I don't think I've seen a look to match that fan elsewhere. If someone knows of one, please post about it.

I honestly would have had A LOT less heartburn if the author did not call them the Mercedes Benz 600 of case fans. I'm thinking more of a Yugo, yes these sleeve bearing fans are quiet due to sleeve bearings, so lets make it a Yugo without an engine sold at a Mercedes Benz price.

YUGO without engine (VERY QUIET)

yug.jpg

Mercedese Benz 600 (also quiet, but probably puts out more CFM's than the Yugo without the engine)

S%E1%F0%EE%ED%FC.jpg

update.gif

Ok, I have just spoken to Joe, and I have spoken to the article writer and I will clear a few things up.

First and formost the article writer is a really nice guy. Here's the only problem I see. He simply did not know of SilenX's turbulent past and didn't realize he couldn't take the numbers the manufacturer had given him as absolute fact.

I offered to help him test a few things that would make his good review a great review. I
ve offfered to help him test the fans actual CFM and the actual dba the fan puts out (YES, we will explain how these measurements are taken, unlike SilenX whom does not tell anyone about this)

I honestly hope after he retests the fan, it will not be considered the Mercedes Benz of fans. Because if it's one thing I know, it's fans, if my name wasn't Silversinksam, it would be FanmanSam, and I got a collection of fans that are better than SilenX's offerings, I can prove they are not the best. It's already a known fact, SilenX has a history of shady business, perhaps now we can get a detailed review of exactly what they are selling these days.

I hope the article author takes me up on my offer, because some articles I like to get involved in, especially ones that involve sneaky, unethical and snake like companies that sell snakeoil and BS, and wrap them up in a nice shiny product. :rolleyes:

Back