• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget RAM turns out to be Corsair CM2X512A-6400. More info please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newman_SCO

I bought some RAM on a low budget. It was the cheapest 1gb stick I could find on the particular site. (I was buying all of the rest of the parts from there)

They were named "1GB Micron Major 6400 DDR2" on the site and the sticks have Micron sticker on them.

In cpu-z they are named: 1GB Corsair CM2X512-6400 5-5-5-16

I have read on the internet that some Corsair Sticks have micron chips.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-memory/135483-corsair-ddr2-microns.html

Any idea how my Micron stick is coming up as Corsair XMS2?

Last edited:
Generic memory is a very weird thing. At the computer shop I worked at years ago, the owner was always ordering this "Micron" ram, because Micron is generally thought to be a good memory company. The weird part was, these didn't have the Micron or Crucial sticker on them. As we found out later though, the memory we were buying was Micron chips on generic boards.

Some of the later sticks that he ordered had this faux Micron "M" printed on the sticker, I guess to make people believe it was actually Micron without violating trademark laws.

To make a long story short, we had a ton of stability problems with this ram.

Thanks for that info. I know what you mean about the generic memory. I have known from past experience that Crucial has been a reseller of Micron. Or well it used to be. I have noticed that crucial uses alot of Samsung chips now.

But it appears I have bought a Micron stick that has the same model code to Corsair high performance XMS2.

Do you think I'm lucky, and managed to purchase RAM which is supplied to Corsair, and has been also resold at a cheaper price?

It overclocks ok, I suppose. Without any voltages adjustments at all it or anything else than changing fsb. My new E6400 (2.13GHz) runs at 2.8GHz stable. I don't know if that's impressive at the moment. I will have to read up on that.

The timings are standard for budget ram 5-5-5 at 400FSB. Whether it is made by corsair or Lee Chee's Memory Garage, as long as it runs at its rated speed it really doesn't make a difference. Now the test is when you run that thing at 450FSB at 4-5-5 then it does make a difference.

FYI

Crucial is owned by Micron. I've heard they use Micron chips almost exclusively now.

All CPU-Z reads is the SPD chip programming on the DIMM. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to take a pic of that DIMM and let me see your SPD tab screenshot? Also, if you don't mind, PM me the name of the vendor, I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks. :attn:

I found the same thing with that memory "1GB Micron Major 6400 DDR2", it must be a mistake as CPU-Z sees it as CM2X512A-6400 which is a 512mb module although the speed is correct.
I am having major problems getting it to run in dual channel mode, I have tried it in 2 boards; the AB9Pro and P5BWiFiDeluxe with latest BIOS'. It runs okay sometimes but at other times it just blue screens with the 'page file in non paged area' error. Normally it is fine with only the one stick in. Any ideas before I RMA it for the 2nd time!?

The only way this could be happening is if someone programmed a Corsair SPD onto memory that is NOT made by Corsair. CPU-Z can only read what is on the SPD so it is not a mistake per se. No company other than Corsair has permission to use our SPDs. Can any of you please tell me where you are getting this stuff?

jph1589 said:
Crucial is owned by Micron. I've heard they use Micron chips almost exclusively now.
Nah, plenty of companies are using Micron ICs. Check out the DDR2 list and you will see all the companies that have Micron D9 ICs.

inkfx said:
Nah, plenty of companies are using Micron ICs. Check out the DDR2 list and you will see all the companies that have Micron D9 ICs.

nah, he means the only IC's that crucial uses is micron. micron can still sell to other companies, its just crucial only gets micron because they are a part of micron.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
nah, he means the only IC's that crucial uses is micron. micron can still sell to other companies, its just crucial only gets micron because they are a part of micron.
Ah, okay. Silly me, I missunderstood.

Makes sense that a company would put brand name memory on a generic board and program it to show up as a major brand. Probably quite illegal to sell them in US if they are doing that but it would not surprise me.

As long as they are running stable at the rated speed, fine. It just sucks because I know people are buying these thinking they are getting genuine Micron ram for a great price, but they aren't at all, and had they known that they were just getting Micron chips on a junk PCB, they would have just bought genuine Micron/Crucial in the first place.

You might want to check the resellerrating of the company at
Resellerratings.com

There's a few fraudulent companies out there, especially ones selling memory, that like to sell returns and defective chips as "generic," then claim you just got an incompatible chip, and they're not responsible. That's if they respond. This could also be the cause of the 1gb chip showing up as 512.... there's some counterfiet goods out there, and memory is one of the most counterfieted.

So check out your seller....

Pictures attached.

It's a reputable shop:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=527001

I can get to 2.8Ghz from 2.13Ghz. With out adjusting any voltages. But isn't stable. I think I can get alot more but I am using the stock heatsink at the moment.

4-5-5 is totally stable at 2.13Ghz. I just set the RAM to 4-4-4 and having no issues at the moment.

RAM seems ok.

Attachments

• Cor1.jpg
    Cor1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 163
  • cor2.jpg
    cor2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Newman_SCO said:
Pictures attached.

It's a reputable shop:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=527001

I can get to 2.8Ghz from 2.13Ghz. With out adjusting any voltages. But isn't stable. I think I can get alot more but I am using the stock heatsink at the moment.

4-5-5 is totally stable at 2.13Ghz. I just set the RAM to 4-4-4 and having no issues at the moment.

RAM seems ok.
Yeah, it's not SCAN that concerns me, it's their supplier. Unless that DIMM has the Corsair emblem silk screened onto the actual ICs, it is not Corsair memory and should not be using our SPD. Our UK rep is going to work with SCAN to find out who is doing this. Please let me know if those DIMMs will run at their rated specifications.

Back