• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nate's Water Cooling 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

As some of you are aware, I've been collecting cheap radiators and other odds-n-ends water cooling parts over the past month or so. As of now, I have the following in my possession:

Thermaltake Armor
x2-Laing D5
x1-BIX III
x1-BIP I (still under leak-testing, first results aren't promising :( )
x1-Single Heatercore
x1-Apogee
x1-Maze4 GPU
x1-t-line
x1-fillport
x1-(on the way) MCW30

I've come up with the following as an initial loop setup:

water2.jpg
(the drawing isn't exactly to scale, but you get the idea)

The idea is to have total passive silence, hence the multiple radiators. And yes, I did include fans and probable airflow if I do decide some low-flow fans would help enough.

I have two initial thoughts:
1) Would it be better to have the pumps in a series (one right after the other), rather than spaced out?
2) With only 1 CPU, GPU and (maybe) NB, I'm thinking two loops might be a better idea, but I need a reservoir that both pumps can feed off of, and that won't take up and CD-ROM drives (I'm all out :) ).

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome, I'll be putting up some revised 'sketches' and eventually pics as the input comes in :)

Last edited:
edit: I'm having picture uploading difficulties, I'll get the diagram up ASAP.

ok, the diagram is up, any suggestions/comments are welcome, specifically regarding single or dual loops-thanks :)

You might want to add a few explanations where is what. I can't tell if you're using three rads or not.

In general I feel that it is more trouble to run pumps in serial fashion due to problems to get all the air out.

Running in parallel allows you to dial in the power as needed on the D5. I would run a second loop just for chipsets/vga and connect them both to one t-line for feeding.

If you use e.g. a 1/2 by 1/2 by 3/4 T-fill-line you'll have plenty of fluid in that line to act as a reservoir anyway. (on a 16" length or so.)

The qustion about two pump working either way.... I'll add that to my e-mail to the German LAING head quarters this weekend.

Your rads are all blowing out, where is your air coming in? open door?

There's a triple rad in the front, blowing air in, a single 120mm rad on top blowing air out, and a heatercore on the back blowing air out. The small thing next to the radiator on the top is the fillport.

According to your diagram the triple rad consumes the entire frontal area of the case. Is the scale way off? No 5.5 drives? Do you have a case selection yet?

Right now it looks like you're planning on a mid tower, going by the BIX3 length of 15.6 and your diagram indicating the case is just clearing the rad. Lot of gear for a middie but hey I've got a triple in mine, but not dual pumps etc as you are planning. You might want to consider a full tower in this case.

woha, I comepletely forgot to mention case etc....mah bhad :(
I edited the OP, but the case is a Thermaltake Armor.

I've got a TT armor setup with a black ice extreme 2 in front...I really think you're going way overboard having 3 radiators. It's going to add unnecessary clutter to your loop and the BIX3 should provide more than enough cooling for a CPU and GPU. I run my radiator fans at near-silent speeds and my temperatures are great, nVidia control panel reports an ambient of 31C and an idle temp of 44C, and MBM says my CPU idle is 29C (84F).

oops, forgot to mention that the idea is for passive silence, but low-flow fans may be installed in certain areas.
i'm just on the ball this week...

I figured that's what you were heading for. :)

I'm adding another heater core to my 2x core set-up sometime in the next few months for the same reason - I want to turn down the fan ...

Back