• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM works. Not sure about slots.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerome Bettis

Registered
Hi

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Venice
ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1011-004
OCZ 2x(512mb) PC 3200 EL Dual CH Platinum Rev 2 2-2-2-5 sticks.

I just bought another 2x(512mb). The EXACT RAM. The RAM works great. Problem is I can't seem to get all four working at the same time. I put the new RAM in the original two slots that I've been using all this time and the RAM works as I said. I've tried every slot config possible to get all four 512mb sticks working with no luck. All configs except for my working DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 slots give me (1 long - 2 short) beeps. The RAM is identical so I should be able to just stuff all four sticks into all four slots and be on my way. How can I test the slots? Also if slot DIMM_B1 is broke would slot DIMM_B2 automatically stop functioning and visa versa?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone told me to switch to 2T. I took a snapshot of my BIOS. It appears that I am already in 2T. Right?

snapshotedit0ii.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went ahead and just to see what would happen I changed from 2T to 1T memory timing since it was already at 2T as shown above.

Computer did not like that :) I got a message saying CMOS checksum error. BIOS reverted to default settings and was presented with F1 to continue F8 for setup. So I set it back.

Please help guys

Did you try relaxing timings, try 2.5-3-3-6 and see if it boots. Also you could try giving memory more voltage.

meionm said:
Did you try relaxing timings, try 2.5-3-3-6 and see if it boots. Also you could try giving memory more voltage.

Please tell me how to do both adjustments.

How do I adjust the timing when my PC won't boot with the four sticks of RAM in all four slots?

Where do I adjust? In the same BIOS menu as my screenshot?

Thank you

Yes, you would adjust the RAM timings with just two settings in, then turn it off. (Doing this will set the bios to be prepared for the new ram)

With the computer off and the new bios options set stick the new ram in and see if you can't get it to run.

Basically just set the timings meionm recommended and bump the voltage up by .1v then slap the ram in.

Jerome Bettis said:
Please tell me how to do both adjustments.

How do I adjust the timing when my PC won't boot with the four sticks of RAM in all four slots?

Where do I adjust? In the same BIOS menu as my screenshot?

Thank you
In the screen shot, that's where you would adjust memory timings
cas 2.5, min ras 6, row precharge 3, ras to cas 3. Or you could put in all four sticks in and clear cmos, remove battery and turn off power.

Adjusting memory voltage should be in overclocking cpu section of your bios. It may not show up until option from auto to manual is changed.

Last edited:
I cannot adjust the row cycle time to 3. The lowest is 7. Should I use that?

rowcycletimeyz3.jpg

I do not know the voltage to adjust to because it was on auto before. If I select manual I am presented with these values. Which one should I use?

ddrvoltagert0.jpg

Thanks

Leave Trc alone, it suppose to be ras to cas set to 3, and set voltage at 2.65v. These settings are only to see if you are able to boot with 4 sticks of memory. None of them will cause any damage to your hard ware if they would work.

ok thanks

btw what does all this mean if I am able to boot with the slower settings?

I don't overclock. I just bought the OCZ RAM cause it was same price as generic RAM. Lifetime warranty and highly sought after so I bought it.

Does all of this mean that my mobo can't overclock to the OCZ potential?

Jerome Bettis said:
ok thanks

Does all of this mean that my mobo can't overclock to the OCZ potential?

Jerome,

No, you are trying to get your rig to run all four at once first. Once that is acccomplished, them you can try overclocking them if you want.

Follow what meionm is telling you. I don't have the same board and BIOS you have but it's close so I won't "butt in" to what he is telling you.

It may or may not overclock well anyhow with mixed RAMs in four slots. Because of that you may be confined to using 2T permanently. That's not a bad thing however.

You may have the "exact" same RAMs by their specifications but the chips may be different. That's why "exact" isn't always "exact" if you see what I mean.

Thanks for your help guys...

ok so I followed everyone's instructions.

I adjusted the BIOS settings and shut off machine after it loaded Windows.

Then I installed the two other sticks and booted up.

I am still getting the 1 long - 2 short beeps error at boot time.

Here are the screen shots.

Please advise

timingmodeqt9.jpg

ocprofileuc3.jpg

Last edited:
Jerome Bettis said:
Thanks for your help guys...

ok so I followed everyone's instructions.

I adjusted the BIOS settings and shut off machine after it loaded Windows.

Then I installed the two other sticks and booted up.

Here are the screenshots. I am still getting the 1 long - 2 short beeps error at boot time.

Please advise

timingmodeqt9.jpg

ocprofileuc3.jpg

Your timings may still be a little tight for four sticks.

Try TRAS at 8. Won't hurt anything. When you get all four running you need to run Memtest86 from a boot CD or floppy to test your RAMs before accessing Windows to be safe.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You should go to the Asus threads and ask those guys what the beep codes are. I better stay out of this, meionm knows what he's doing. Sorry meionm...............

meionm said:
Try moving memory to different slots. Also try setting timing mode to auto.
But my timing mode was on auto to begin with. I've tried all the stick moving to different slots. Anyway I will try it again. Thanks for sticking with me. I'll be back in a sec. :shrug:

Just saw your new post Thunder. I will try that too. I posted on planetAMD64 and AMD forums as well but yes I will post at ASUS.

Thanks

ok guys...

So I tried TRAS at 8 and no luck. Tried rotating RAM etc. No luck. I am stumped. What could be the problem? All four sticks of RAM work in slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2. As soon as I install any additional combo of two sticks RAM in DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2 slots the beeps occur.

The 1 long and 2 short beep sequence is listed as a video problem for my Phoenix Award BIOS but there is also a disclaimer that says there are different manufactures even for the same BIOS's so the description for the beep error codes MAY not be accurate. Which in my case I know to be true. It is not video related. When I first built my machine I was getting that beep code because my two sticks of RAM were in the wrong slot pair. After I moved them to the other slot pair I've never had a problem since.

Unfortunately the ASUS forums are unavailable.

p.s. No one has told me how I can test my DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2 slots to see if they are broken.

Thank you

meionm said:
Try clearing cmos, it will reset all of the settings in bios.
Why would I do that? Isn't that function only if you will need to clear the CMOS anytime you FLASH upgrade the BIOS or when you forget your password ? Plus I updated BIOS a long time ago. Will I have to update BIOS again after I clear the CMOS?

Hey I think your avatar is the koolaid guy :)

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any other ideas? I posted at the ASUS forums but it's really a lame forum. Hardly anyone visits it and I've got no replies.

Thank you

Jerome Bettis said:
Does anyone else have any other ideas? I posted at the ASUS forums but it's really a lame forum. Hardly anyone visits it and I've got no replies.

Thank you

Jerome,

Are the beep codes from Phoenix BIOS or from Asus? The Asus site should have them listed for your board specifically.

Did you try to mix the pair of RAMs you have? In other words take one of each and try them dual channel. If one pair won't work together, two pair won't either.

yup...I have already tried every slot/RAM combo of course.

My BIOS is:

Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00 pg
Rev 1011-004
An Energy Star Ally
copyright 1984-2006

AwardBIOS description for my 1 long, 2 short beeps says,

"1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly."

Which is definitely not the trouble I am having. I had the same beep code when I first built my PC but was quickly remedied when the RAM pair was placed correctly in slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2.

Beep error codes are not guaranteed to be correct as stated by various BIOS manufacturers.

I have yet to hear from someone if there is a way to directly test RAM slots. I've tried some reports using Sandra but appear to be problem free.

* The weird thing is that my ASUS A8N-E manual says when using two sticks of RAM they should be placed in slots DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1. This has never worked for me and I've always had to put two sticks in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 which are beside each other. I think the manual had a typo or mislabeling. I've had no problems using the slots they have been in all this time.

On my mobo DIMM_A1 is blue, DIMM_A2 is black, DIMM_B1 is blue, and DIMM_B2 is black.

My two sticks are currently in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2. Any combo of the four sticks works in those two slots.

When I try all four DIMM slots, the addition of slots DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2, I get the beep errors.

Last edited:
To see if 1 slot is bad try booting with ram in only that slot. You have ram set to 333 instead of 400 in Memclock Index value. Set it to 400 as cpu speed is only set to 200. I have the same mobo and can tell you that mine gives 1 long beep if ram is not seated properly. The slots do not like heatspreaders as they can keep the ram from seating all the way in. You should also update the bios as it is an old one that may not have compatibility fixes for stuff like this. Also set pci clock sync mode to 33.3 instead of auto.

Last edited:
Back