• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B Deluxe beep codes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
video card im sure. i just was troubleshooting and when i didnt have a GPU in, -... and when i put it in, a normal boot system beep.

SoNgOkO said:
Hello!

I turned on my system and i get this code 1 long and 3 short beeps. What does it mean?

Thanks
Gotta luv your sig.. "T-bird" Ahh, those were the days.
Anyway, what is your current system consist of?

I started getting the same beep code - 1 long 3 short - a few months ago. According to the manual it is the graphics card. Only problem with that idea is when it started happening, i transferred my GPU over to an old computer so I could have a running computer, and it worked perfectly fine. Now I have an old PCI graphics card that I got on the cheap, so I'm thinking the PCI bus died (I tried all 3 available PCI slots on the motherboard). Im gonna see if a PCIExpress x16 ard works before junking the thing, or does anyone have any ideas?

Hmm ... I thought 3 short beeps was a memory failure of some sort. Could be the memory itself or the FSB/Northbridge. Too high of an overclock, timings too tight, not enough voltage, either on the memory or FSB/NB if you are running a high FSB or memory OC, etc ...

I get the same thing but only here and there. Can someone confirm? The manual doesn't state anything about 1 long and 3 short.

I don't overclock my system. If I've made any changes to my BIOS settings they were made many months ago and only out of necessity after researching a problem... and nothing comes to mind that I may have changed like that.
p5b deluxe wifi. AMI BIOS 1004.

Pentium D 805 (2.66 GHZ)

Visiontek HD3850 video card - brand new, just installed to replace what I think was a failing Sapphire x1950xt.

Corsair PC2-6400 (2x 1GB in Dual channel)

I also have a creative X-fi sound card, 2 120mm fans, 2 80mm fans, 1 WD 500GB sata HD, 1 WD Raptor-x 150GB 10k rpm HD, 2 sata DVD burners, and an Ultra Xfinity 600 watt PSU with hardwired connectors not the modular type.
How it happened:
I'm running XP 32bit with SP2 and all updates since. I started playing Unreal Tournament 3 and my CRT monitor went black (power button flashing as if no signal to monitor) after about 2 minutes of having UT3 running. This is typical of the problem with UT3 since installing the HD3850... sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, this time 2 minutes. This was the first time I got the beeps. I sometimes walk away once the monitor goes black and wait to see if anything more will happpen. The UT3 error log has been less than helpful and it's the only game I have that seems to produce problems on my system with the HD3850 OR the x1950xt regardless of what drivers I'm using from ATI.

At any rate... started the game at 4:40 and the monitor goes black at 4:42. At 4:47 I get the one long and 3 short beeps. There's silence for maybe 5 to 10 seconds then another short beep. I thought the motherboard was going to reboot. I waited another 10 minutes, saw HD activity LED active occasionally but the machine didn't actually reboot I guess and the monitor never changed from it's no signal state. I held the power button on my computer to reboot it. Everything starts up normal... but guaranteed to go through this again if I play UT3.

My p5b manual doesn't say anything about this beep code that I could see. Any advice or info would be cool... if you can tell I have something wrong from my pics... if not at least thanks for the info that confirms that I figured it was related to the video card going by my own problems and maybe my reply can help someone else fix their own problem :/

sound like video m8 try another card if you can borrow one.
I've had some success messing with the PCIE Frequency setting in the BIOS. My first attempt was setting it to 110 (default setting was auto, no idea what number it uses) and UT3 played fine for an hour at 1024x768 in a window. Maximize the game window to my 1600x1200 dektop and within 2 minutes I'll get a black screen or a screen with lines usually. After blindly trying PCIE Frequencies to get a number that would work with the game window maximzed I've loaded up the BIOS defaults and I'm going to try running the game fullscreen at something lower than 1600x. I've had UT3 since it was released in november or december... I can't even begin to put an estimate on the amount of time I've put into trying to fix my system's problem with this game. The only other card I can try is the PCIE x1950xt which was showing random colored pixels at the POST screen so I've written that card off as having something wrong with it.

*edit*
played it in fullscreen at 1280x1024 for about 6 minutes before I got the black screen filled with erratic scan lines. BIOS settings all at full automatic.

Last edited:
Back