• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Memory Selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

Alright guys, need some help here. Which should I be striving for:

Corsair XMS 2gb DDR2 800

or

Corsair XMS 2gb DDR2 1066

I'm going to be throwing this into an E6600 system with a P5B Deluxe-Wi/fi. I'll have the processor and VGA on water cooling (appogee & maze4), and would like to tackle the 4ghz threshold.

Is the DDR2 1066 worth the extra price? or should can I rely on OC'ing the DDR2 800 well and toss the extra cash into something else on the system?

Let me know your thoughts, would like to order this in the next week so I can get this rig built either next weekend or the following.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well I don't think you would get very far overclocking the first stuff. The second stuff seems like overkill to me though.

If those are your only choices then I would go for the second set as that would most likely get you closer to 4ghz than the first stuff.

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

thanks guys. i don't mind other recomends those were just the two i had been looking at. i'm more than willing to drop the money on whatever is going to be the best.

i guess my question comes back to: is there DDR2 800 out there that will allow me to push the 4ghz mark easily? or should i go ahead and just spend a bit more money and pick up some faster RAM so that it doesn't bottleneck me?

links to memory that you feel are solid are appreciated! :)

Your first choice will most likely bottleneck you. The second choice would get you to where you would need/want to be but as I said earlier, it seems like overkill and it is expensive. The options Rattle suggested are great suggestions as they contain ic's that will overclock to at least ddr2-1000.

thanks guys, going to probably go with the crucial ballistix as i've heard good things about them. glad to be saving ~$70 from the original build also :beer:

Back