• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick ? on hose clamps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenny_k

I just received my hose clamps from McMaster. 430 non-perf, 1/2" to 3/4", #5075K13. It's for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing. The clamps when fully opened are a little over 1" in diameter. That doesn't seem right. Did they send me the wrong size?

well, if its supposed to fit 3/4 inch diameter tubing... and when fully extended its 1 inch... i don't see the problem here, all you have to do is tighten down 1/4 of an inch.

I thought a 1/2 to 3/4 meant 3/4 was it's open size. I've read here not to get ones too big as it'll cause an oval effect when tightened.

kenny_k said:
I thought a 1/2 to 3/4 meant 3/4 was it's open size. I've read here not to get ones too big as it'll cause an oval effect when tightened.

If it causes an oval effect, just tighten the clamp around a barb without any tubing. It won't really matter since you're using non-perf clamps, which you can crank down ridiculously tight without any problem.

The part number posted got me a strange result.. so I looked it up.. 5076K13

kenny_k said:
I just received my hose clamps from McMaster. 430 non-perf, 1/2" to 3/4", #5075K13. It's for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing. The clamps when fully opened are a little over 1" in diameter. That doesn't seem right. Did they send me the wrong size?

I got the same ones, and they behave the same way. Sounds like you got the right part. I think the theory is being able to get it over a large barb flare. They worked just fine in my system with 3/4" OD Tygon.

well, if your only tightening them like. a 1/4 of an inch they'll be perfectly fine.

if you tighten them like.. 1/2 an inch then they might oval a bit. but in that case you just get another one facing the other way. or get a zip tie. or just don't tighnt the clamp that much.

Back