• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugent!! Need Advice ASAP Plz!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teknodred

Registered
Hey There guys,
My old PC has recently blown up on me :-( which sucks
it was a
P4 3.4Ghz
1024mb DDR2 533
Asus EAX800XT (Cost an arm an a leg at the time)
MSI Neo 2 Platinum board
Audigy 2 ZS
1 x 74gb Raptor 10,000rpm
2 x 250gb Maxtor
It just wnt turn on whats so ever, it was fine one day hen the next i tried pushing the power button and nothing happens at all!!
I stupidly pessed it in like 10 times and then held it in for a few seconds and then suddenly lol... 3 loud bangs like a cap gun went off and then there was a bit of smoke coming out i motherboard i ran out the room so i wasnt sure where from lol..
Anyways, went back into i room and there were like 2 lil bits on the floor not sure where they came from to this day lol,

Just wondering does anyone know any ideas on how to test what bit of info is not working? someone told me the PSU should spin as soon as i push the power switch over when connected to the mains?? is this true??

Anyway gave me the perfect excuse to upgrade!! woohoo lol,
So i bought these off the net,
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
OcUK Nvidia 8800 GTX
EVGA nForce 680i Mobo (Apparently a beast of an overclocker???)
Zalman ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled 600W Modular PSU
Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower CPU Cooler
Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED Fan
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming case
500GB Western Caviar HD

So final system will have i 74gb Raptor in there with 1 extra 250gb Maxtor drive, I need my space
One thing missing right??
RAM!! Now im on tight enough budget as it is after that "little purchase" so i was wondering will i hinder my new system much by adding in my old DDR2 533 RAM Im sure its some old generic crap that the manufacture supplied,

I will be overclocking my system so is there a chance that this RAM may surprisingly over clock well?? i will be bumping the CPU up to about 3Ghz i think,
Or would i be better off trying to save fo some other form of cheap ram, any suggestions if so??
Plz let i know!!

Thx for ye help!
Jah Bless

Teknodred said:
Hey There guys,
My old PC has recently blown up on me :-( which sucks
it was a
P4 3.4Ghz
1024mb DDR2 533
Asus EAX800XT (Cost an arm an a leg at the time)
MSI Neo 2 Platinum board
Audigy 2 ZS
1 x 74gb Raptor 10,000rpm
2 x 250gb Maxtor
It just wnt turn on whats so ever, it was fine one day hen the next i tried pushing the power button and nothing happens at all!!
I stupidly pessed it in like 10 times and then held it in for a few seconds and then suddenly lol... 3 loud bangs like a cap gun went off and then there was a bit of smoke coming out i motherboard i ran out the room so i wasnt sure where from lol..
Anyways, went back into i room and there were like 2 lil bits on the floor not sure where they came from to this day lol,

Just wondering does anyone know any ideas on how to test what bit of info is not working? someone told me the PSU should spin as soon as i push the power switch over when connected to the mains?? is this true??

Anyway gave me the perfect excuse to upgrade!! woohoo lol,
So i bought these off the net,
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600
OcUK Nvidia 8800 GTX
EVGA nForce 680i Mobo (Apparently a beast of an overclocker???)
Zalman ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled 600W Modular PSU
Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower CPU Cooler
Akasa AK174CB-4BLB 120mm Blue LED Fan
Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming case
500GB Western Caviar HD

So final system will have i 74gb Raptor in there with 1 extra 250gb Maxtor drive, I need my space
One thing missing right??
RAM!! Now im on tight enough budget as it is after that "little purchase" so i was wondering will i hinder my new system much by adding in my old DDR2 533 RAM Im sure its some old generic crap that the manufacture supplied,

I will be overclocking my system so is there a chance that this RAM may surprisingly over clock well?? i will be bumping the CPU up to about 3Ghz i think,
Or would i be better off trying to save fo some other form of cheap ram, any suggestions if so??
Plz let i know!!

Thx for ye help!
Jah Bless
You mention 1024MB ddr2 533 ram, is that 2x512 or 1x1024? With all that
nice new stuff I'd assume you'd want to run dual channel. If so, the new
standard is 2x1G ddr2 800 and I don't think you'd be satisfied with 533 for
long. You could try OC'ing with a divider but your new parts are so fast that
it'd be a total waste of money not to have decent amount or speed. With that new 8800GTX I'd definitely get 2x1G ddr2 800. Value ram can be OC'd,
some of it almost as fast as performance ram. Here's a list of ram and the
chips on the modules:
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
On your PSU, ATX (not sure version) will NOT fire up without return voltage
from motherboard and it sounds like that board is toast. Never know if other
parts went with it. You certainly don't want to burn anything else up by
just plugging in old parts to test. But anyway I'd suggest new ram!!:)
Edit; I ran value ram (Transcend) 2x512 ddr2 667 which was rated 5-5-5-15 @667.
It ran very well at 4-4-4-12@825 no problem and I tested it to 900+@5-5-5-15.
Get the best possible ram you can afford, you'll enjoy the performance
increase from the rest of your new system. Good Luck on new build.:welcome:

Last edited:
Thx for ye reply,
Hmm so my old PC is prob toast? gutted theres gotta be sumthing that can be done to get her goin again, or to atleast find out whats wrong with her :(

Thx for your info of the ram? RAM is prob one of the things that most confuses me with all these timing and what not, all i know is the lower the numbers the better right?
Well the ram modules i have at the more (the old ones) is 2 x 512Mb DDR2 533,
Is it worth me trying to overclock them at all? i know my mobo has a FSB:RAM divider, Or will i really be hindering the performance of my system even if i do manage to OC them?
If i had to i could prob part with £150 max, but then thats not gonna exactly get me any amazing RAM will it??

Thx guys,
Take care,
Jah Bless

I say jusyt throw your damned ram in and try it. (THAT's what I meant). I mean if you aren't overclocking you won't notice any difference at all. I'm getting an 8800GTS myself and I don't think I'll see a difference.

Teknodred said:
Thx for ye reply,
Hmm so my old PC is prob toast? gutted theres gotta be sumthing that can be done to get her goin again, or to atleast find out whats wrong with her :(

Thx for your info of the ram? RAM is prob one of the things that most confuses me with all these timing and what not, all i know is the lower the numbers the better right?
Is it worth me trying to overclock them at all? i know my mobo has a FSB:RAM divider, Or will i really be hindering the performance of my system even if i do manage to OC them?
If i had to i could prob part with £150 max, but then thats not gonna exactly get me any amazing RAM will it??

Thx guys,
Take care,
Jah Bless
Well, the problem is that your old system burned something up. So if you want to salvage parts you're gonna have to test 'em. Short of having a good board
to test with, maybe a friend has an old box to test with? Otherwise you're
gonna have to test at shop or find someone to test for you. I'm sure there
are some good parts left, but you don't want to spend a lot to find out.
Maybe see if you can find cheap used board, then try hooking up hdd, cdrom
ram, etc. but don't try psu until you know that it's still good or you might
fry some more parts.
As for your ram, yes, by all means you can try OC'ing them but I fail to see
how OC'ing old generic 533 will get you anywhere near new generic 800 ram
as I bet that the 800 would OC higher than 533. Yes you'll be hindering the
performance of your new parts, probably quite a bit. Actually, if you shopped
around carefully, you could find quite acceptable ram for 150 Pounds. But it's
entirely up to you, you can put your new system together with the 533, then
purchase GOOD ram later.:)
Just be careful using any of your old parts, for example, my son's PSU burned
out and it took his DVD/RW with it. So you just won't know what parts are
still ok without testing.

Teknodred said:
3 loud bangs like a cap gun went off and then there was a bit of smoke coming out i motherboard i ran out the room so i wasnt sure where from lol..
Anyways, went back into i room and there were like 2 lil bits on the floor not sure where they came from to this day lol, Jah Bless

You're assuming the RAMs are still good. With what happened I wouldn't be too sure anything is any good. Buy new RAMs. You're being a penny wise and a pound foolish not doing so.

from my experience if the computer wont do ANYTHING when the button is pressed it is a mobo issue. Sounds like your mobo had a little fireworks session with out your expressed consent. Proc might be ok, ram might be ok, vid card might be ok it all depends on what exploded and why. You can take a piece of wire and put it across a couple leads of the psu's 20 pin connector and get the psu to start up and then you can use a dmm to test the voltages. Of course those might be ok even if the psu is bad you would only know for sure if you put it under load. Good luck.

Thx for the replies guys!
Perfect just what i wanted to hear :)
I Shall be searchin around for now see if there is any decent ram up for grabs at a good price :)
But foir now i think i may shove the ram in an older PC and test it to see if shes still goin,
Cheers again guys

Jah Bless

Teknodred said:
Thx for the replies guys!
Perfect just what i wanted to hear :)
I Shall be searchin around for now see if there is any decent ram up for grabs at a good price :)
But foir now i think i may shove the ram in an older PC and test it to see if shes still goin,
Cheers again guys

Jah Bless
Good decision dude! Good Luck:beer:

Teknodred said:
Thx for ye reply,

Thx guys,
Take care,
ya bad bwoy

id say psu had given up. possibly now the motherboard too. is there any signs of anything burnt on it?
even if the pc has given up, id doubt the processor had fried, nor the graphics card, ram, or pci cards or the case! lol
can you borrow a psu to see?

Hmm well i do have suspect of my Gphx card being fried...
The fan LED light stopped 1st then months later i had just noticed that the fan had stopped blowing on my card :( and i hammered quite a few games so i dunno if its gone or not..The game shuddered sumtimes...im just hoping maybe buying an aftermarket cooler for it and it may work..
The shop i bought it from SUCKED lol..

Hmm so it may just be the PSU then? Iv never changed one of those may be a challenge lol.. Ye i hope my mobo and evrything is ok it WAS a decnt pc lol..i wanna revive her :)

So 1st things 1st?
Take PSU out and hav it checked it?
Theres no sneaky trick to see if she powers up at all right??

Hmm i looked over my Mobo and nothing seems to be burnt, RAM, Sound card, Grpahx card all seem to be fine..

Im hoping it be just i PSU that be a cheap repair :)

Thx again guys,
Take care!

ah you didnt mention about the graphics card fan! lol well mine sits at 61C during games but i dont have a fan on it, fingers crossed tho lol
but if i were u i would start at the beginning. make sure there is power to the motherboard and stuff. you can tell this without any lights by listening for the hard disk spinning up or even the fan in the back of the psu coming on. if not then change for a known good un. if then no visual but you can hear stuff goin on does ur motherboard have an on-board graphics u can try, if not then another of same type?

:p

Back