• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding 90 degree connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Any negative effects of using one at the intake of an MCP655? Looking at a routing issue and this is a possible solution. Thanks.

90 degree elbows do hurt flow, especially when placed at the intake of a pump. I can't say to what degree one would hurt your flow. If you really can't get by without a 90 degree fitting, look for a "sweeping" elbow. A sweeping elbow doesn't bend quite as sharply.

Yep.
I'd say the least damage would be done with using a copper pipe elbow of 3/8" (the ones I buy locally are a sweeping bend).
In copper pipe sizing, 3/8" = 1/2" actual OD for the pipe, so the elbows would be flared slightly larger at their female ends, and a water tight join to tubing is easy to do with a couple of spring clamps.

Thanks. Other alternative is to add the 90 just at the res output to the pump. Maybe i'll look at that... or maybe i'll just rework the setup. Thanks again.

The one place you really don't want a 90 is at the pump inlet. It really hurts flow (forget where I read the data from). 1/2" copper long sweep elbows (i.e mcmaster #5520K184) are the way to go for tight bends if needed.

voigts said:
The one place you really don't want a 90 is at the pump inlet. It really hurts flow (forget where I read the data from).
What he said - doubled! :) - the last place you want an elbow is at the pump inlet. Anywhere else is fine ...

Back