• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cmos wont clear - no matter what

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

helix101

hi i have an asus striker and i just cannot clear the cmos!

i have removed the battery disonnected everything even removed every single component and did all the jumpers.

it was working fine before but for some reason today i switched the pc on and everything would turn on all the fans, the hardrive can be heard and all the leds are on but there is no display and NO POST no beep or anything

any help?! how the hell can i clear the cmos if its refusing to be cleared??!??!

try runnin git with the cmos jumper in the clear position. Remove the battery and move the jumper to clear. Then turn the power on. Let it sit for 10 or so minutes
I know that does the trick for my DFI board when it does crazy **** like this.

Gunlance said:
try runnin git with the cmos jumper in the clear position. Remove the battery and move the jumper to clear. Then turn the power on. Let it sit for 10 or so minutes
I know that does the trick for my DFI board when it does crazy **** like this.

is it meant to come back to life in those 10 minutes or after 10 minutes u switch off and turn back on?

The board will not post with the CMOS jumper moved. It has to be in the "normal" position.

Have you ruled out a bad video card?

tried another g-card that i know works.

so i removed ram to force a error beep and NO BEEPS - no post

so its between dead mobo or dead cpu.

i dont have access to new ones to test .

i think it may be cpu as on the striker there is a green led showing the board is connected and has power which is on and green, and all the fans connected directly to the board work when the pc is switched on but there is no post..

cpu or board that is the question...

If you have fans running but no post or beeps, then your bios is gone. The Asus Striker has the CPR feature. Give this a try. If it fails, then try the ASUS EZ Flash 2. Copy a good bios in a USB jump drive and try loading it using the EZ flash 2. Good luck and Welcome to the Forum.

the only other jumper is chasis intrusion detection which is off by default

the situation has updated though guys :

i have realized it is a faulty PSU as this is the only thing i could try on another pc as i do not have another motherboard or cpu to test yet, my question is now when i get a new psu could this still be a mobo error and my bios is messed up too?

if the power supply is not working properly is there no post?

it was strange because when i plug the supply in the red light comes on at the back of it meaning theres power id then press the power button and everything runs - strangely i did use it before this happened and it seemed fine what are the chances that the power supply failed after using the pc for a few hours?

strangely it was an 850 coolermaster real power pro.. seeing as how it worked first time then it failed?!? is this possible.

can any one suggest a good supply for sli 8800 and core 2 duo?

The only Zippys that could qualify (for the amps that NV SAYS they will pull at some point in the future when software catches up to them) are server units and less effecent actually.

Back