• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Techs pls help me:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lurkio

Ok i need to upgrade my memory to 256mb at the moment i have 128mb sdram 100mhz pc100 this is the info i have found on the memory board,there is a spare slot for upgrading.

My prob lies in what the hell i need to buy to get up to 256,i have looked on some sites but im not sure that is all i need.cus i dont understand some things like Non parity and unbuffed etc etc.

My specs are:
P2 400 mhz
Ms 440zx chipset
Tiny computers

As you can see i not that tech minded so if you can tell me in simple terms how go about buying more memory.

First welcome to the forums. Sounds like you just bought WinXP, you should be easily able to find that memory at the local computer store, or order it. and cheap with rebates maybe free. Just buy another stick of 128mb pc100/133 sdram with the same slot config. However I don't think your system would benefit signifantly from this upgrade unless you plan on overclocking, and even then it would be a marginal gain. What the heck its so cheap stick it in anyway thats what I did.

First welcome to both of you,
You don't need "buffered" mem or ECC just regualar pc100/133 sdram unbuffered. Your local office depot will have what you need, just tell them you want a stick of pc133 sdram, and right now is a good time to buy memory like Uber Phlub said, with the rebates, it might actualy get it free. like I said, just tell the guy/gal you want a 128mb stick of PC133 sdram and tell him/her that it is for a desktop, and you'll be set.

How many pins?

OK thanks for reply but what is the best way to find out how many pins i have on my board?

I don't know about the best way, but there are several good ways, your manual, your OS, and several free download utilities. Or by just looking at it. Its really not hard at all to upgrade your memory, relax. Cheap too. Why do you call me uber phlub Madclocker?:p

This Motherboard just uses regular SDRAM.

You can find it very cheap. You can use either SDRAM pc100 or pc133. Just go to the store and tell them you need 128MBs of pc 133 you will get what you need. Here is a story that Joe has on the front page today he got 128MB's of pc133 at Circuit City for 7.99 and it would be perfect for your needs.

I was with a friend who had to buy a monitor and we were in Circuit City looking around. As he was checking out what was available, I wandered around and saw a bunch of RAM on display. What caught my eye was a SALE item: 128MB SDRAM for $7.99! (sale ends 12/8/01 - rebates). These are made by Centon.

Back