• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE , E6400 , E6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apfel

What is better 1) or 2) for overclocking with the asus board p5w dh deluxe??????

1)
Kit 2x1024MB MDT DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 DDR2 CL5, M2GB-800K, 175EUR
+ Intel Core2Duo E6600 2,4GHz , 4MBCache, 275EUR
gesamt: 450EUR

2)
G.Skill 2x1024MB PC2-6400U CL4 Kit DDR2-800
F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 1.9V-2.0V CL4-4-4-12, 217EUR
+ Intel Core2Duo E6300, 1,8GHz, 2MB, 169EUR
gesamt: 386EUR

is the difference between CL5 and CL4-4-4-12 so great??? or is it not so importend? as it becomes apparent?

Many like to E6600 to match with P5W deluxe. The main reason is the P5W is not an aggressive overclocker like to P5B.

E6400 goes well with P5B because it can overclock very high, some can get 500 FSB.

CAS 5 or 4 does not make a real world difference, only benchmarks. I would go with cheap PC2-6400 to match with E6600, running 1:1 to get 3.6 Ghz at 400 X 9, DDR2-800.

Like Sniper suggested, go with an E6600 for that P5W. I had a E6400 on a P5W but realized quick;y that the board wouldn't keep up with my processor. I purchased a P5B and gave the P5W to my dad who bought a E6600.

first: thanks for your answers!!!

1)why is the P5B Deluxe better than the P5W DH for OC?? the board layout looks the same? What makes the difference?

can i also OC with the P5W? or is it a bad board? and how high can i OC the E6600 with the P5W??

2)please can you tell me what settings(please explain for a beginner) do i have to make if i want to OC the E6600 from 2,4 to about 2,8 or 3GHz??
or is this to high for a longtime stability operation?

3)i think the clock is more importend? i thought it would make enorm difference! becauce the CL time is the time from adressing the ram TO make data available????

do you realy think thats not importand?

greetings from germany

apfel said:
first: thanks for your answers!!!

1)why is the P5B Deluxe better than the P5W DH for OC?? the board layout looks the same? What makes the difference?
Difference is the chipset onboard. 975 is Intels flagship and in many benches slightly faster than the 965 chipset of the P5B at stock clocks. The latter however has higher overclocks, better bios options to tweak and is cheaper pronto. Most P5W users are topping out around 400-430FSB, B5B can get to 500FSB with less voltage for the chipset etc...

can i also OC with the P5W? or is it a bad board? and how high can i OC the E6600 with the P5W??

Sure you can but if I had the buy a new board my money would go out to a P5B DLX, it's so much more tweakable and easier to get a smooth stable overclock. My P5W topped at 425FSB with all the chipsets at max, it died on me also half a year later, even though I had extra cooling on the north and southbridge. I would think 9 x 400 so 3600 Mhz with a P5W can be done but that's no guarantee it will work for you. Also when you overclock an E6600 the stock cooler just won't do, it's temps at load will surpass easily the 70°C and that's not good for 24/7 usage. I would strongly suggest in a good aftermarket cooler.

2)please can you tell me what settings(please explain for a beginner) do i have to make if i want to OC the E6600 from 2,4 to about 2,8 or 3GHz??
or is this to high for a longtime stability operation?

3200mhz can be easily done without upping too much voltage to the CPU and motherboard. And the temps remain well within limits. Though as pointed out before invest in a good cooler ! If you buy an E6600 you will have an 9 multiplier to play with, eg up the FSB to 300Mhz you will get 2700mhz for the CPU this can be obtained with almost no extra voltage for the CPU nor the motherboard. If you tend to go higher more voltage will be required to give a stable overclock, thus more heat will be generated, the better the case/CPU coolign has to be. No matter which board you buy there are several threads available here and in other forums to advice you on all the settings. I advice you to read them through and see what works and what doesn't

3)i think the clock is more importend? i thought it would make enorm difference! becauce the CL time is the time from adressing the ram TO make data available????

With Core2 ram timings aren't so important as with AMD CPU's , you will notice a small difference if you buy eg Cas3 rams with Cas5 in eg SuperPI, and other benches but in day to day usage not noticeable (only in your wallet). But in your case I would go for the Gskills just for the lifetime warranty they have.

Back