• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus motherboards and CPU mhz ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toddc72

Registered
Motherboards and using different CPU mhz ?

This might sound like a dumb idea? Wondering if I buy a 800 mhz processor can I use it on my 533 mhz board? I have a P4b533-e board now I am using with a 2.26 Pentium processor. I am running it at 2.55 currently. I was thinking of getting a 800 mhz 3.0 Processor and putting it in the 533 board. I seen i can get a 2.8 for the 533 board, and figured maybe overclock that one to 3.0. Than thought, why not get the 800 mhz one already at 3.0 and have it for my other board? Only reason was thinking this is because I have a P4P800 board also. Don't really feel like rebuilding 8 harddrives right now for the new system if I built up the 800 board. So thought maybe like RAM, I could take a faster setup and run it on the slow board and have it just slow down to the 533 setting. Than later have it for my 800 board.

I know this might sound dumb, but figured you guys might have tried it.

Thanks
Todd

Last edited:
Asus does not officially support 800 bus CPUs on that motherboard. It's possible you might be able to "overclock" the motherboard to 200 FSB to run something like the 3.0C (has to be a Northwood, no Prescotts), but those old i845 motherboards were never meant to run that high. I don't know if that has a PCI lock or not, but if it don't, then no way. To be honest, you need more than a minor CPU upgrade. I would not waste money on something that probably won't really give you much more performance than you currently have right now.

Back