• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help an OC newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanoIII

Registered
I have an old Neo2 mobo (865pe) that is housing a P4, 2.4ghz processor (533 FSB). I was recently given a 3ghz, P4 that has 800 FSB. I use 2 sticks of pc2700 memory running in dual mode. Since I plan to overclock the new P4 (haha...new P4), can I replace the memory with pc3500 to take advantage of the increased FSB from overclocking? The mobo only supports pc3200 memory. Thanks for all responses to this elementary question.

Yes, PC3500 RAM will work fine. I don't know what PC2700 RAM you have, but I used to have Kingston Value RAM that would O/C to about PC3500 speed. Give what you have some extra vdimm, relax the timings, and see what'll do before spending your hard earned cash.

Thanks for the input batboy. I`m using Crucial memory, but I`ll certainly give it a try. Thanks again!

Back