• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painting ram heatspreader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lekyiscool

hi i think im going to buy OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit but plan on painting the heatspreaders is this a good idea if not is there anything else i can do to change the color of the heatspreader

last question is this ram good for overclocking a e6400 (im a noob)

thanks alot

if you do paint them use high heat paint but i think if you paint them they will get hotter because with the paint they cant dissipate heat faster. you could also try just changing the heat spreaders to a different color and they would still dissipate heat

i dunno for sure though might want to get some more opinions

yea im a little reluctant but that gold color would look gross in my future configuration

The paint will definitely affect the thermal dissipation, you might find thermal condutive paint but it may not work well for that application. Plus I agree with Zazuk, warranty goes Spllttt! Consider a wind tunnel to cover them. Something that looks cool but enhances airflow. This is where engineering meet cool modding!

does anyone have this ram is it possible to remove it and replace it with a diffierent one ?

well i was considering this over the xms2 dominators only beacuse i hear these are better for oc'ing and are better quality ? is this correct also will this give me good results with the e6400 if not i might switch ram

Painting them isn't going to hurt the heat dissipation. They are just hunks of AL, not exactly sophisticated devices. Take them off and paint them. I wouldn't do the insides but the outside won't hurt. Removing the heat spreaders voids the warranty on most RAM tho.

If you can you should use paint for the radiators of the central heating system (is that the right word in english?)

That paint is slightly better at etmitting heat (radation) then other paints

hammerite? I don't know, you could just use what they sell at the nearest home depot... If you want some colors you could mix it with acrylic based paint...

You could always get the heatspreaders annodized...it'll cost you a lot more than painting but will have a perfect color and will not chip. If you decide to go that route, why not get all the alluminum in your case done at the same time! :)

lekyiscool said:
hi i think im going to buy OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit but plan on painting the heatspreaders is this a good idea if not is there anything else i can do to change the color of the heatspreader

last question is this ram good for overclocking a e6400 (im a noob)

thanks alot
What color do you want the ram to be?
Take a look at these: http://www.svc.com/memmodheatsp.html Or these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ath=43&zenid=217750834bb24c8e6af9012303f1c51d
They come in,
Silver
Black
Black & Crome
Red
Green
Gold
Blue

Or you could go with ram sinks.

Who says gold is not a nice colour for ram?

I say if you can take the heat spreaders off and you can get some spray paint, do it.

I doubt it will effect the preformace or anything, might void the warraunty tho.

Might be an idea just to buy the spreaders you like instead of using paint.

Carefull takin off the original heat spreaders I have herd of the ics ripping off because the heat spreaders are glued with thermal epoxy.

ic thanks for the help well i think ill just paint them i think with some good quality paint if i can find some i dont think it should affect performance since the heatspreders are proven to be not that effective in dissipating heat if even at all

i already looked at those other options Rig Ryder but i think the ones that come with the ram look better so il just paint them

thanks guys

It would make more sense to buy some other brand memory instead of painting the HS'. They'r all the same in the end you know.

Back