• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tube and barbs lube??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCGhz

Registered
Hi guys.. im setting up an Apex Ultra Setup and im having some serious trouble getting the tubing all the way on the barbs... is there something i could use as a lubricant? Please no KY jokes:)

Any help would be appreciated.. i did search before asking.

JC

I had trouble with 7/16" on 13mm ID barbs (American + Australian parts)

I used to boil som water and soak the end of the tube into the hot water. The heat makes the tubes more soft and flexable so you can force them into the barb a little easier. Otherwise you just have to use brute froce and muscle.

Well.. .I didnt feel like boiling water.. but the heat gun seems to work. Thanks for the tip.

JC

You are going to flush it out anyway once you get it all together. And most of that light coat is going to stay between the hose and barb anyway. I take my finger and just get a bit of dishwashing liquid on it and just swipe it onto the barb and with my pinkie in the end of the tube. Just a very light coating is needed.

Water based "personal" lubricants such as Wet, KY, or Astroglide should all work fine for slipping a tube over a very tight barb (like 7/16 tubing). I had to go get some Wet from Walgreens and use it on my Alphacool reservoir. The barbs are VERY closely spaced and it was almost impossible to get the hose clamps over the hoses and barbs with the tubes over the barbs. The in/out tubes were so close I could barely squeeze in the hose clamps. The Wet stuff let me slip them in fairly easily and they won't harm your tubing. Yes it works. :bday: Cathar even suggested the same.

after boiling it all you need is a little bit of brute force.... if you cant fit a 7/16 onto a 1/2" barb you must be p i s week

I just change barbs from plastic to ek barbs. With new barbs it is like putting 1/2id tubing on 1/2id plastic barbs. I even comes off without much force.

Back