• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone running aftermarket NB cooler on P5W DH Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verse914

Im looking into getting a Swiftech MCX159-CU Copper C110 to replace my stock Northbridge cooler, but I was wondering what will happen if I take the current heatsink off (because it also connects to the mosfets next to the cpu)...will I have to cover the mosfets with other heatsinks? Im running a Coolit Freezone cpu cooler, so its pretty cool around the cpu (the cpu block is cool to the touch anyways).

Just wondering if this will work or not. I already took off the nb heatsink and replaced the thermal grease with AS5, but its still getting too hot. I had to put another fan blowing on it to hit 420fsb, so something needs to be done to keep it cool.

Indeed you will need to cool the PWM too, I just installed a 4 cm fan blowing onto the Northbridge chipset, kept it according my hardcano sensor 10°C cooler. Also I wouldn't suggest running this board at 420FSB 24/7 I promise you it won't keep up with 1.85MCH voltage you push through it. Plus don't forget the southbridge which gets pretty hot too ! Many users cut the heatpipe and leave the fake copper heatsink on the mosfets. But then it's bye bye warranty . I would opt for Swiftch MC14 copper heatsinks for it and try to get an Antec Spotcool to blow fresh air over them...

P5WHDLX.jpg

Thanks for the reply leeg. I may try the 4cm fan first and see how that works.

Id like to get a Swiftech for the SB as well, but my case is too small...the swiftech would cover access to my harddrives.

I have installed a thermalright HR05 SLI on the southbridge and I know one user at Abxzone ( Jeeka) that has a Swiftech MCX159-P on the Southbridge I can ask him for a piccie of it if you want ..., other opion I think is the evercool copper cooler loved by many DFI fans (ultra-D days) I think it has several differenct brackets, will have to check that too.

Keep me posted

Thanks again leeg. I think something small would fit the southbridge and I would still have access to my hard drives. Ill look into the two that you talked about (HR05 and MCX159-P). I have a side-door fan that has made a difference, but I think better heatsinks would be a big help. Im still looking at the Swiftech for the northbridge. I also saw a MicroCool NB cooler that looked pretty nice as well.

Thanks again for your help and I will keep you posted.

Back