• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore vs. BIP III Xflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Anyone have links for comparison to see which would perform better? Don't take noise into account.

Looks like the double heatercore has more surface area since it is thicker.

Setups would be: 3xYate Loons for BIPIII, no shrould. 2 x Yate Loon w/shroud for Heatercore.

Thoughts?

Yate Loons won't really cut it on a thick (~2"+) heater core. They simply don't have enough pressure to get air through it. I would go for the BIP3 with Yates my self as it will be quieter and preform better I would think.

I don't think I have seen any testing done with heatercores. The testing that usually gets done is done by the PC radiator manufacturers as they are going to invest in the equipment necessary to do so.

With Yate loons, you are definitely going to be better off with the BIPIII. I wouldn't even bother with trying to go push/pull with a heatercore as push/pull on rads yields almost no improvement (about 3% if I remember right).

Well, replace the Yateloons with Panaflo's then :). I just picked a random fan out of my head. I've got both at home right now and am really curious as to which will perform better.

I'd really love to see the results of your test. From what I've seen, the Panaflo's should give you better results over the Loons for the reasons mentioned. You could be the one to prove it!!! :)

Uh... I mean I have the heatercores and BIPIII Xflow...

Currently I don't have a CPU/GPU for load testing.... :(

I have used bip, bix and single/double heatercores and yes, the heatercore is better, but its not the easiest thing to work with in a computer carse, its butt ugly and most need to be premodified, which includes some experimentation on shroud debth.
My evercools are a little better than yate's at low speed, but they are still very quiet at 7volts on the heatercore. temps on the whinchester and 7900gs both oc'd with a unknown core *little longer than a chevette, but not big enough for two fans*were 33-36 where with the same setup and a bix with shroud went up to almost 36-39.
If you have a good strong pump, your xflow is going to do you really well. but I think it really comes down to the application. how you intend to mount it ect.

Actually, right now they're both kinda awkward to work with, the BIPIII Xflow... is really, really, long. And the double heatercore is just fat and wide.

Bleh, decisions decisions... $1500 burning my wallet away... :(

the bip3 looks a lot nicer if you cant fit it in your case ;) you will just have to experiment with what is better yourself if you have them both. every loop is different after all.
you should try those new scythe fans on it =O they are sooo quiet and move a great amount of air.

Hehehe, unfortunately I've not found a case that matches my tastes, so I may be making my own... as soon as I finish my other projects... :(

I'm not sure how the BIP and HC compare, but I will say this, I'm very disappointed in my BI Stealth 360 (3x120). Sure it's quiet like I like, but the performance is lacking. I've got 2 Yate Loon's on it (still need to order the 3rd) at 5v and my load temps are about 55c with a E6600 at 3240mhz 1.28v. If I turn them up to full speed it will drop to mid 40's but that's unbearably loud. I was hitting 70c at 3.6 and 1.5v. :(

your plog on that LL project is sweeeeeet. made me go over to LL myself and start reading on it.
meh, who needs a case. the funny thing about people who water cool is that most go into it wanting portability, then most of them never move their case ha ha. so why bother even having ac ase =O build a benching station then you get exactly what you want.
my problem right now is that my case is too pretty to wanna hack up with my lack of skillz, my poor poor dbox gets to be the guinea pig for the jigsaw and snips.

Hehe, right now (when I'm not at work... I work too much.. . :( ) that projector is hooked up to my server and is acting as my webbrowser. I still need to finish that project also...

Damarble if you want quiet use a single 120mm fan pulling air through a pair of heatercores. It may not look very pretty if you half *** it (like I end up doing on most of my personal projects due to time contraints), but it works surprisingly well and is very cheap.

I should have paid better attention to the fact that you mentioned using the Xflow. The Black Ice rads are not properly designed to be true single pass rads. They take a dual pass rad and merely slap on different end tanks. You will see up to a 20% reduction in performance over using a standard dual pass (both inlet and outlet on the same end tank) Black Ice. This is according to testing that Marci at Thermochill has done. So you would be better off if buying a new rad to go with a Black Ice dual pass.

This is according to testing that Marci at Thermochill has done.

This is according to testing that Marci at Thermochill has HAD done. The ONLY testing I've done was my original HE vs PA Comparison over at XS. All other testing was done by independents (ie: Cathar, then Radical_53, then BillA) to avoid calls of biased testing etc.

damarble said:
I'm not sure how the BIP and HC compare, but I will say this, I'm very disappointed in my BI Stealth 360 (3x120). Sure it's quiet like I like, but the performance is lacking. I've got 2 Yate Loon's on it (still need to order the 3rd) at 5v and my load temps are about 55c with a E6600 at 3240mhz 1.28v. If I turn them up to full speed it will drop to mid 40's but that's unbearably loud. I was hitting 70c at 3.6 and 1.5v. :(

You are crazy. I have four shrouded fans on my Stealth 240 and it is incredibly quiet. Two yate loons and two Scythe S-Flex F fans. They are all running at full speed. I'm sorry but Yate Loons are widely regarded on these forums as some of the quietest fans you can get even at full speed. I have to say that you are making false claims or you are extremely OCD about sound and need a computer with 0 moving parts. The loudest things in my case are the hard drives and CD-ROM drive. The only thing I can hear going with just the water cooling fans and pump turned on in the case is a very nice gentle low hum that you can't even hear if you aren't next to the computer.

Normally I wouldn't say anything because I know people have different thresholds for what they find is an acceptable db level for a computer, but what you are saying contradicts what many many people on these forums have shared, including myself. Maybe you have some bad and or higher RPM fans.

My load temperature on my overclocked and slightly over volted Athlon 64 3200 (clocked from 2000 to 2500) is about 30°. That's with a super overclocked/voltmoded 7900GT (580MHz to 745MHz) in the loop all being pushed by a D5 pump.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Stealth 240 and yate loons and Scythes. I just wonder how much of an improvement I will see with a Thermochill PA 120.3. I know they are hands down the best but they are pricey! :p

Last edited:
Alien1099 said:
I have to say that you are making false claims or you are extremely OCD about sound and need a computer with 0 moving parts. The loudest things in my case are the hard drives and CD-ROM drive. The only thing I can hear going with just the water cooling fans and pump turned on in the case is a very nice gentle low hum that you can't even hear if you aren't next to the computer.

Normally I wouldn't say anything because I know people have different thresholds for what they find is an acceptable db level for a computer, but what you are saying contradicts what many many people on these forums have shared, including myself. Maybe you have some bad and or higher RPM fans.

False claims? It's my opinion. Yate Loons at full speed are far too loud. I can barely hear a Raptor seek over them. Once they are at 5v they are fairly quiet and then you can hear a 7200 rpm drive running (not even reading/writing).

And I have multiple fan and they all sound pretty close so they are not bad. The are the standard orange D12-SL12 or w/e the model is.

Ask anybody at SPCR and they will agree these fan's need to be undervolted to be considered "quiet", and anybody who says otherwise obviously does not have very sensitive hearing.

All I have to say is this isnt SCPR we dont care about noise lvl's we care about overclocks .

Im sure years of delta abuse has damaged our hearing enough heh. thats why we are here in the watercooling forum now, because any amount of noise is better than a 80 or 90mm 7000 rpm fan in our ears while gaming ;)

Although, i think the statement that we dont care about quiet is wrong too. If i didnt, id be using my 3500 rpm TFB1212GHE on a 1x rad ha ha. that thing kills most of my psu's when just trying to start up.
Presently, I can hear my hard drive seek over any of my fans, which i personally DONT like. I would rather drown it out with the sound of moving air.

Try out the scythe fans. I just got a couple for testing and they are very quiet and push a decent amount of air at 7-12 volts. little pricey but very good. there are also the delta triblades, excellent fans for dealing with radiator resistance.

Back