• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aw9d-mac headaches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

Aw9d-max headaches

So i just built a new rig using the AW9D-max, which SEEMED like a great board until I started using it. Maybe a setting is just off.

I use an xp-120 heatsink with a 90CFM Panaflow 120mm Fan. Now this fan doesn't has an RPM wire. Just power and ground. So I plug it into the CPU fan header (which is made for intel's 4 pin fans) and it works!

But it runs at full speed, and anyone who has heard a 90cfm fan at full speed, knows that it shouldn't always be running at that speed.

Luckily, ABIT boards have FanEq, rigth? Well it doesn't do anything. Now it took 5 re-reads of the manual on FanEQ, and I still don't understnad how the settings work, but I have tried every bracket of temperatures out there, and the fan stays at full speed.

So I looked on the internet and apparently FanEQ for the CPU fan only works on 4 pin fans so it can use the "control" wire". Sucks for me I guess. So I plug the CPU fan inthe the AUX3FAN header, which can be controller via voltage (yah!). The computer turns on then off. Probably due to no CPU fan plugged in, but wait, my cpu fan doesnt have an rpm wire anyway, so how would it know?

So I plug another fan I have in my case that ONLY has a rpm wire (gets power elsewhere) into the CPU fan header. Computer turns on and stops at error 2A, which isn't in the manual as ANY recognized error code.

So I clear the CMOS and it boots. Go into the bios and tell it to enable FanEQ on the AUX3FAN.
Temp high: 50C
Temp low: 25C
Volt high: 10v
Volt low: 6v

I don't even know if these are the right settings, but it should matter cause its max should still be 10v, yet the fan whizzes away at full speed.

The ONLY other idea I can think of is that I need software installed in windows. But if Abit requires you to install windows software to actually enable a bios feature, that's ridiculous.

EDIT: Thought I would add that my idle temp is 27C.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken you will need a 3wire fan to adjust the speed of it with the board. Probably your best option would be to get a fan-bus and adjust it with that, or do a 7v mod to the fan.

BTW great temps on that cpu :). Hopefully batboy or evilizer or one of the other knowledgeable abit people will drop in and add some comments.

~jtjuska

Let me mess with my board for a few minutes, I'll figure it out.

If the board is doing what its supposed to (adjusting the voltage of the fan based on a reference temp sensor that you set) I don't see it needing a RPM senor for any reason. I could be wrong though.

I would really like to get this function working as it should. Both a volt-mod and a fan-bus won't allow automatic adjustment of the fan.

Joker_927 said:
If the board is doing what its supposed to (adjusting the voltage of the fan based on a reference temp sensor that you set) I don't see it needing a RPM senor for any reason. I could be wrong though.

I would really like to get this function working as it should. Both a volt-mod and a fan-bus won't allow automatic adjustment of the fan.

Correct, I plugged a fan in that did not have a RPM wire, here is the pic on how I had it setup:

IMG_0733.jpg

As you see from the pic, I had it vary the speed along with the processor. Also, the computer will NOT turn off if there is no fan plugged in, unless you have changed it to do so (not default settings). So if it shuts off, it is something else, also, what BIOS version are you running?

That's how I have mine setup too but it won't adjust the fan.

Just updated to 0.13 last night.

Joker_927 said:
That's how I have mine setup too but it won't adjust the fan.

Just updated to 0.13 last night.

Hmm...try setting the fan temp for the high and low threshold really high and then go to the o/c page and press F8, see if the fans slows down. I'm also running 13

just to clarify. What should I have plugged into my CPU fan header? Nothing? Any fan with an rpm wire?

Joker_927 said:
just to clarify. What should I have plugged into my CPU fan header? Nothing? Any fan with an rpm wire?

If you have not changed the settings for that fan header (such as "Shutdown"), you don't have to have anything plugged into it. But I would recommend turning the "Beep" mode off in the fan listing...otherwise that would get annoying...unless you were running Delta's...:beer:

no deltas lol

i actually don't have a PC speaker even hooked up (i'm dissapointed the board doesnt have its own speaker)

I'll try it our when I get off work

Pretty sure you need the RPM wire for EQ to work. If the fan is too loud, why not buy a fan controller or a quieter fan?

EDIT: Fixed

Yea, its not working at all. Here's a screen. The screen was taken at max usage on both cores because the idleing temp was 24 and that was less than what the fanEQ goes goes down to. The CPU FAN speed that you see in the main window is the auxilarly fan that only has a RPM wire plugged into the CPU header. CPU fan is plugged into the Aux3.

As I stated before, I don't have the room or want to adjust my fan using knobs. And the fan isn't loud, it just doesn't need to be pushing 70CFM when my cpu is idleing at 24C.

So yea, for those actually trying to help me solve this problem, I cant figure out what it is. Everything is setup correctly, yet the mobo will not send that fan a lower voltage.

Maybe I should try a different header?
The only other one that is close (i think) is the OTESFAN1.

EDIT: FIXED

Last edited:
It seems as thought the Abit aw9d-max will only allow FanEQ to change the voltage (speed) of a fan if that fan is connected to the motherboard with a RPM wire.

I fixed my problem by taking the RPM wire out it's 3 pin plug and putting it into the open slot on the 3 pin connector of my my cpu fan. I then plugged the connector into the AUXFAN3 header and Nguru instantly changed the speed (even though as far as the mobo can tell, the RPM stays the exact same).

Back