• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max MCH voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

I have an AW9D as my sig states.

I am currently o/c my system and I keep running into the MCH voltage being my limiter. Increase it, and my FSB can increase.

It's default is 1.5v. When should I be concerned about how high the voltage is getting? 1.6v? 1.7v?

Currently mine is running 2.0v, I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it is cooled properly. Mine is under water.

good answer. Im guessing MCH is your northbridge. Wouldn't that be "system" temp according to nguru?

If so mine is 36C and doesn't budge. I'm guessing 36C is fine. Gonna jump to 1.75v then.

Joker_927 said:
good answer. Im guessing MCH is your northbridge. Wouldn't that be "system" temp according to nguru?

If so mine is 36C and doesn't budge. I'm guessing 36C is fine. Gonna jump to 1.75v then.

I'm not sure if "System temp" is actually the northbridge, or case temp...its kind of a gray area, I'm reporting 30c as mine.

EDIT: 36c is fine if that is the northbridge. See if the temp rises when you up the volts, I want to see if this is really the northbridge temp...cause if it is, I don't know why I have watercooling on mine...lol

Last edited:
yea, i would like to confirm whether or not that is the northbridge temp. Thinking about it a second time, it might not be. So how do you tell? I touched the heatsink. It's not even warm.

I'm at 1.8v right now. and 2.98ghz. Everytime I reach a wall, its the MCH voltage and not the cpu voltage. wierd. I feel bad continually increasing it.

I have the AW9D-max and i dont no which temp reading is the mch if it is there at all the system temp is the temperature inside your case.

Abit used to position the system thermister near the N/B chip, but the AW9D system sensor is now down in the lower right corner, no where near the N/B. So yeah, system temp is more just case temp now.

I have found that up to 1.75v MCH is not a problem as long as you have decent case ventilation. Going above that "might" require additional steps to be taken, such as better thermal paste on the OTES heatpipe heatsink assembly or maybe even an extra fan blowing on the N/B. I have a 120mm fan mounted in the side cover blowing air to the mosfets and N/B area. Actually, I have two 120mm side intake fans, but the other one is lower to provide the vid card with fresh air.

batdesk.jpg

The way the XP-120 is set up, the top of the heatsink is not actually right above the cpu. It's slightly off center. This puts me at an advantage because about 1/4 of the fan is right about the NB.

Putting some paste of the NB sounds like a good idea, but with a 50CFM fan bloing down on it, I don't think heat is going o be a problem.

I got my E6300 to do about 2.8. my FSB is currently at 410, but I think I'm pushing my G.Skill ram to it's max. It's stock is 5-5-5. I didn't buy the ram to o/c. Wait, can't I choose a lower multiplier? Are there ones less than 1:1?

If my ram isnt the bottleneck then, I guess I'll just keep upping my MCH voltage... I am at 1.80 right now. I'll try 1.9. That should give me some extra room.

Standard memory ratios don't allow the RAM to run less than 1:1... however... there is a new beta BIOS that has a 1333 strap setting.

I don't have to use anything more than 1.6v MCH until I go well above 400 FSB.

MCH, CPU, and Memory are the only three voltages that affect overclocking, correct? (on the aw9d)

I have o/c experience but not since beginning A64 days.

It would seem as though I have reached the limit of the motherboard and not the CPU if increasing the MCH voltage is what it takes to get a higher FSB.

Seems odd though since with the right chip people can push this board to 500mhz FSB and I'm at ~420.

Sidenote: I should have bought a E6400, because if I did, I would be at 3.3 ghz right now. Live and Learn.

batboy said:
What BIOS are you running? I've had the best luck with beta 13 (M606C_13.A11).

I am running 13, but this is the 13 that shipped with my new BIOS chips. I had my original die on me...this is 13, but it does not have 1333 like the beta did...:bang head

EDIT: lol, just realized that you were talking to joker...

Joker_927 said:
sooooo.... this bios is better? lol

Am I using the normal 1.3 right now.

Waiting for answer...:beer:

Last time I updated the BIOS, it just locked at 66%...kinda hesitant on doing it again, even though I have a backup BIOS chip. I couldn't even hotflash the last one...but I think that one died, but not from the flashing.

Well I think Im going to try the new bios.

I don't know if it's the motherboards memory controller or my memory, but small FFT's in Prime 95 have been running stable on both cores for 30 min now and large FFT's dont last 30 seconds.

Joker_927 said:
Well I think Im going to try the new bios.

I don't know if it's the motherboards memory controller or my memory, but small FFT's in Prime 95 have been running stable on both cores for 30 min now and large FFT's dont last 30 seconds.

Just flashed mine and I'm at 3.4ghz.

I flashed mine, ran into some problems and tried to flash back. I got told I couldn't because the bios was locked and I need to change some jumpers. I got scared and decided to leave the bios as is.

Here is something interesting:

I was at 400 FSB (2.8ghz) with Vcore @ 1.475 and MCH @ 1.80.

I kept getting erros when I raised my FSB higher than 410. Even when I had the 5:4 multiplier on. So I decided to leave it at 400 and lower the voltages to their lowest.

Well im still at 400fsb and my vcore is now at 1.325v. That's default right?

But if I lower my MCH to 1.70, the computer instantly reboots and it takes a couple of reboots to even get into the bios.

wtf?

Like I said earlier, beta 13 (M606C_13.A11) worked best for me so far. Remember, you need to go back to default speed and settings before attempting to flash a BIOS. Are you using Abit's FlashMenu? I've used this program a couple dozen times with no problem. I always download the BIOS files first and use the upgrade from file option. If you use the beta BIOS, it won't have the normal .bin file, so you have to manually pick it.

I've all so found beta 13.A11 to work the best and its the one I use.

As others have said make sure you have set everything back to default before you flash.

Back