• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AW9D-MAX dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hello all,

From the post title, I hope you can tell that I am having problems with my AW9D-MAX. This is a really complex problem that is yielding different results. I recently had a video card die on me, so it has been running in "limp" mode. Today, I removed my DVI cable to use on another system, when I finished, I plugged it back into the card, but there was no signal. I pressed the power button on the front of the computer, I heard the shutdown sound and the computer shut down. I then proceeded to turn it back on, but it locked at 8E, which is "Check CPU fan", I plugged in a fan, but then it just locks at the next one in line 90 ("AWARDBIOS taking over boot job"). I cleared the CMOS and tried turning it back on, but it only gets just as far as usual. I removed the jumper for fun, and it boots! But since the jumper is not in place, I cannot save settings, so my computer won't be able to boot. I have tried multiple jumpers, removed cards (vid...etc.) and I cannot get past '90' without having the jumper removed. There will be times that the system will get to "C1", which is "Detecting memory". I know for a fact that this memory is solid. I am currently trying a 'hard reset' I'll keep you guys updated. If I can't get this working by tomorrow, I'm going to tear apart the case and make sure that nothing is touching the back of the motherboard and that all dust is removed. All help welcome. If all else fails, I'll RMA the board, and possibly look at getting a P5B-Deluxe...this motherboard is starting to get aggravating...

EDIT: Just turned it back on, it is still sitting at "C1"

thideras said:
Hello all,

From the post title, I hope you can tell that I am having problems with my AW9D-MAX. This is a really complex problem that is yielding different results. I recently had a video card die on me, so it has been running in "limp" mode. Today, I removed my DVI cable to use on another system, when I finished, I plugged it back into the card, but there was no signal. I pressed the power button on the front of the computer, I heard the shutdown sound and the computer shut down. I then proceeded to turn it back on, but it locked at 8E, which is "Check CPU fan", I plugged in a fan, but then it just locks at the next one in line 90 ("AWARDBIOS taking over boot job"). I cleared the CMOS and tried turning it back on, but it only gets just as far as usual. I removed the jumper for fun, and it boots! But since the jumper is not in place, I cannot save settings, so my computer won't be able to boot. I have tried multiple jumpers, removed cards (vid...etc.) and I cannot get past '90' without having the jumper removed. There will be times that the system will get to "C1", which is "Detecting memory". I know for a fact that this memory is solid. I am currently trying a 'hard reset' I'll keep you guys updated. If I can't get this working by tomorrow, I'm going to tear apart the case and make sure that nothing is touching the back of the motherboard and that all dust is removed. All help welcome. If all else fails, I'll RMA the board, and possibly look at getting a P5B-Deluxe...this motherboard is starting to get aggravating...

EDIT: Just turned it back on, it is still sitting at "C1"

....wow, I'm a dur dur dur...I looked in the manual to make sure that I had the CMOS jumper on the correct ones...and it was backwards. This solved the booting issue. Now to move onto the video card issue. I was stumped as to why I could hear the system logging me in, but could not see it. I thought my card finally just said "I've had it, bury me...". But just for fun, I plugged my TV into the video card (via the component output), lo and behold, it set my primary to my TV!! So I logged in and swapped it, and that is where I sit now, a working computer...again.

Thanks all for your...well, you didn't really have time to send me suggestions :santa: ...but I kinda fixed my own stupidity...:beer:

So if you were going to send a suggestion, or slap me up-side the head, here ya go --->:beer:

Hi Thideras,

Glad to hear you fixed the problem. I also don't mean to change the subject of your original post here, but while we are on the subject of this board, I did have a question for you. I was looking at the downloadable manual for the AW9D-Max board. The manual explains how to set the board up for SATA RAID configurations, but not if you want to simply go with a primary and slave configuration using SATA drives. Did I miss something in the manual? Thanks.

Richie

Richie, there are no primary or slave drives with SATA. The reason the old IDE drives had that setup was because you could run two devices on the same channel. With SATA, each channel is separate. I run two drives (not RAID) on my rig. It boots off the main drive that contains the operating system. It might be easiest (although not required) to disconnect the second drive and just setup the main C: drive first (install Windows, etc.).

batboy said:
It might be easiest (although not required) to disconnect the second drive and just setup the main C: drive first (install Windows, etc.).

That is exactly what I do, when I want to install onto one drive and one drive only, I disconnect all other hard drives. I've had problems with windows installing the boot sector to a different hard drive...:bang head

batboy said:
Richie, there are no primary or slave drives with SATA. The reason the old IDE drives had that setup was because you could run two devices on the same channel. With SATA, each channel is separate. I run two drives (not RAID) on my rig. It boots off the main drive that contains the operating system. It might be easiest (although not required) to disconnect the second drive and just setup the main C: drive first (install Windows, etc.).

Hi BAT & Thideras,

That makes perfect sense to me now. I only wanted to installing one SATA drive at this time anyway, so that works out fine. I will be adding a second SATA HD a little later on for video and photo editing. So I assume I'd be using SATA inputs 1 & 2 for these two drives then.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the USB and IEEE 1394 firewire (I.link ports) on the front of my Antec P160 case. I'm hoping the connector for the firewire from the front of the case is a standard setup. Only the two black ground wires, #3 & #4 on the connector, which looks just like a USB connector, can I identify as being in the correct placement as the pin outs on the mother board.

Richie

Richie13 said:
Hi BAT & Thideras,

That makes perfect sense to me now. I only wanted to installing one SATA drive at this time anyway, so that works out fine. I will be adding a second SATA HD a little later on for video and photo editing. So I assume I'd be using SATA inputs 1 & 2 for these two drives then.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the USB and IEEE 1394 firewire (I.link ports) on the front of my Antec P160 case. I'm hoping the connector for the firewire from the front of the case is a standard setup. Only the two black ground wires, #3 & #4 on the connector, which looks just like a USB connector, can I identify as being in the correct placement as the pin outs on the mother board.

Richie

Here is the pin config:

ieee.jpg

All of the headers (IEEE and USB) should have the exact same pin configuration.

EDIT: I mean that all USB headers should be the same, and all IEEE headers should be the same (I think my the sentence before this makes it sound like USB and IEEE are the same, THEY ARE NOT...lol:beer:)

Last edited:
thideras said:
EDIT: I mean that all USB headers should be the same, and all IEEE headers should be the same (I think my the sentence before this makes it sound like USB and IEEE are the same, THEY ARE NOT...lol:beer:)

Hey Thideras,

Yes, that I do know :) What is bothering me is the front panel of my case,where I could connect a fire wire device like my IPOD. The internal wiring from that front panel that leads to the harness that would plug into the IEEE Firewire header on the mother board, I can't tell if the wiring on the harness is correct. This case comes from Antec with the front control panel wired already. All your supposed to do is make the final connections on the mother board. I'm assuming it's wired in a standard fashion, but I may have to call them and ask. All I have to go by is the color of each of the 6 wires.

Richie

Richie13 said:
Hey Thideras,

Yes, that I do know :) What is bothering me is the front panel of my case,where I could connect a fire wire device like my IPOD. The internal wiring from that front panel that leads to the harness that would plug into the IEEE Firewire header on the mother board, I can't tell if the wiring on the harness is correct. This case comes from Antec with the front control panel wired already. All your supposed to do is make the final connections on the mother board. I'm assuming it's wired in a standard fashion, but I may have to call them and ask. All I have to go by is the color of each of the 6 wires.

Richie

Oh, do you mean that it is not one solid connector to the mb?

Yes, it is one solid connector that would plug into the mother board from the Firewire panel on the front of the case. But how do you know if Antec wires these things in a standard fashion? The instructions that Antec supplies with the case give the impression that each wire that would be connected to the mother board header are separate and that care should be taken to make sure that it is compatible to the mother board. I'm hoping the Firewire and the USB cables are correct. I'd hate to damage a new Abit mother board over this.

Richie

Richie13 said:
Yes, it is one solid connector that would plug into the mother board from the Firewire panel on the front of the case. But how do you know if Antec wires these things in a standard fashion? The instructions that Antec supplies with the case give the impression that each wire that would be connected to the mother board header are separate and that care should be taken to make sure that it is compatible to the mother board. I'm hoping the Firewire and the USB cables are correct. I'd hate to damage a new Abit mother board over this.

Richie

I have yet to see a case that wires them incorrectly...

thideras said:
That is exactly what I do, when I want to install onto one drive and one drive only, I disconnect all other hard drives. I've had problems with windows installing the boot sector to a different hard drive...:bang head

I didn't read all of this thread, but I thought I would acknowledgethis fact. So many people don't know/follow it.

To many times, I have lost data or hours of work because windows decided to mess up the drive letter or implement some other stupid algorithm it uses.

To submit something productive...
Richie13 said:
Yes, it is one solid connector that would plug into the mother board from the Firewire panel on the front of the case. But how do you know if Antec wires these things in a standard fashion? Richie

In my experience, If they use a whole connector, they are doing you a hige favor and it should fit perfectly. I hate cases that use a barrel full of one pin connectors that take forever to connect.

Glad you fixed your problem thideras This sure is a strange board at times i have just reseated the chipset coolers and volt modded the board when i put it all back together and switched it on windows very quickly said found new hardware this disappeared before i could read what it found then i noticed four blue led's were litup at the top of the board around where the mosfet cooler is nothing has changed in the bios maybe it is just a coincidence wish i new what hardware it found there is nothing new in device manager???

I'll let you all know Monday or Tuesday when the balance of parts arrives. Hopefully everything will play nice and I'll have some great news for you all.

Richie

Joker_927 said:
In my experience, If they use a whole connector, they are doing you a hige favor and it should fit perfectly. I hate cases that use a barrel full of one pin connectors that take forever to connect.

*cough* Thermaltake Armor *cough*...I hate that and I don't have them hooked up because if it...

Vento1 said:
Glad you fixed your problem thideras This sure is a strange board at times i have just reseated the chipset coolers and volt modded the board when i put it all back together and switched it on windows very quickly said found new hardware this disappeared before i could read what it found then i noticed four blue led's were litup at the top of the board around where the mosfet cooler is nothing has changed in the bios maybe it is just a coincidence wish i new what hardware it found there is nothing new in device manager???

Thanks, and that is really weird that it found new hardware...

Back