• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 120mm fans would you use on your radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawne32

Trying to get everyones opinions here on what fans are best to use on radiators for both silent running and CFM performance. Ive seen tons of reviews and heard alot of things and im having a tough time deciding on what to buy. I would be mounting 2 120mm fans to a Swiftech MCR-220 Radiator and both fans would be connected to a Vantec Nexus NXP-205 Fan Controller...

your thoughts?:bday:

I would run any 120x38mms, either fairly quiet, or undervolted, but I prefer undervolting, because then I can put it back up to normal voltage if I ever need to, like during summer.

I'm also talking about hard-wire undervolting, not via a device that undervolts it.

I use Yate loons as my case fans and have 2 of them pulling on my radiator. I have 2 Scythe S-Flex F fans pushing air through my radiator. They are all extremely quiet but the Scythe fans push a little bit more air for the same db level or less. Yate Loon fans are only about $5 each or less last time I looked and Scythes are $15-$20 I think so there is a big price difference.

I'm going to a Thermochill PA 120.3 radiator soon and I'll be putting the 2 Scythes on each end and a Yate Loon in the middle. :p Not sure if I will be pushing or pulling.

I like my Panaflo's. I got the 87CFM medium speed ones, and though you can hear them, they aren't overbearingly loud, and flow great.

Since your using a Controller go with Delta, Sunon or Panflo high speed/high CFM. don't worry about the Db rating, you can slow them down to be quiet, yet you have the overhead if you need more cooling, I've ran all 3 on my chevett core over the yrs and they all seem about the same as far as temps, I lean toward the Panflo the just seem better built.

PWA

Scythe S-Flex for quiet - no need for a controller.

However, I'm getting a pair of Delta's (EFB1212SHE) as soon as Sidewinder gets them in stock. I like these b/c they have a min. of 4v instead of the usual 7v - I'm hoping they will be very quiet at that speed ...

QuietIce said:
Scythe S-Flex for quiet - no need for a controller.

However, I'm getting a pair of Delta's (EFB1212SHE) as soon as Sidewinder gets them in stock. I like these b/c they have a min. of 4v instead of the usual 7v - I'm hoping they will be very quiet at that speed ...

I run a EFB1212SHE with my XP120, It's a great fan. one nice thing about it is the higher pressure witch I'm sure will help if you stick them on a radiator. I'm building a system with water cooling right now and when money allows it I'm going to stick two of those on my radiator. The sound is also deceiving it is a deeper sound so it is not as annoying as similar flowing fans with more blades. I run mine at full speed so I can't be sure but I imagine they would be very quiet when slowed down. :beer:

Some fans still make motor noise when you slow them down. I have a Panaflo fan that I don’t use now that makes an irritating clicking sound when its voltage is turned down. From what I’ve read this isn’t uncommon. If you’re going for silence and what not with more powerful fans that are undervolted, try and make sure that that make/model isn’t known for such things. Just one thing to keep in mind.

Alien1099 said:
Some fans still make motor noise when you slow them down. I have a Panaflo fan that I don’t use now that makes an irritating clicking sound when its voltage is turned down. From what I’ve read this isn’t uncommon. If you’re going for silence and what not with more powerful fans that are undervolted, try and make sure that that make/model isn’t known for such things. Just one thing to keep in mind.

Delta AFBs do this.

Nidec beta Vs don't make any motor noise
Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A's don't make any noise either.
Supposedly Delta WFBS don't make any noise eithers.

I agree with Rig Rider. Delta WFB1212Ms and WFB1212MEs produce no motor noise no matter what speed you run them at. I have tried Panaflo (all speeds and series), Sanyo Denki San Ace, Yate Loons, Enermax, and other obscure brands and none have been as pleasant to work with as the WFB series.
120x38mm http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES2909
120x25mm http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES2837

Just rewire them and run them on a fan controller. And don't believe the Dba ratings on the spec sheets. The noise level is produced entirely by the airflow so it's pitch range is rather low and easy to muffle with ducting.

i have a panaflo 92mm medium speed right now on my heatsink and i hate it, it says its rated at 30db but for me its WAY too loud. I just bought 2 Noctua 120mm fans for the case intake and exhaust based on the review SPCR did so im gona give them a shot compared to the 2 low speed yate loon case fans i have now. As far as the radiator fans for the new wc setup ill prolly wind up using the Deltas like you guys suggested because i understand that static pressure is important with rad fans.

speed bump said:
I was paging through the digikey catalog and i'm pretty sure for my next rig I am going to use some blowers instead of fans.
Squirrel cage blowers (aka centrifugal fans) produce more pressure and have a much better tolerance for pressure changes than radial fans do. That's why I couldn't understand some people questioning the air flow into the room air purifier I use for my heater cores. The smaller squirrel cage blowers sure are loud though ...

Last edited:
I wish they still had Torin Blowers available...those things are just awesome at 12 volts, and handle a heatercore's resistance with no trouble.
Mine runs at ~16 volts, but it's buried deep inside my custom built insulated case so the sound is fine.

I use 4 Sanyo Denki San Aces full-tilt on my main rad down in the basement, and at night when the kids are asleep and the house is quiet, I can hear them slightly up here at my desk on the first floor.
Never tried them on a fan controller, but they are the best fan I've used. Even mounted and sucking through the radiator and a furnace filter, they would turn my ceiling fan 8 feet away!!

Back